An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Tallyho, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

Hey guys. So I just had a quick question, because I think this is something it would help to hear others express too. I've had a lot of addictions in my life, ranging from self-injury to alcohol, cigarettes, and life-risking stunts.

Through the years I've kind of come to the conclusion it's not any of the individual things that I really find so appealing. It's the feel of dependency. I've lost of lot of people I was close to, and don't really trust anyone. I think the substances themselves help get me through those times, but I also think knowing there's something that won't leave me, and that I can always go back to (even if I don't want to any more), is very comforting.

Do others feel this way? That it's actually the process of being swallowed by something that's so intoxicating? Any suggestions on how to work on the root of the problem? I've tried therapy before, but it never really hit the spot. I just feel empty all the time, unless I'm filling up on something bad for me.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

There are people out there with addictive personalities and they have to replace one addiction with another. The problem is getting to the root cause of addictions to figure out why you have to do something in order to feel human. It does no good to simply replace one addiction with another.
    kgord likes this.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Yes and I know people like that as well. People are mostly just trying to fill a void.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It seems that whatever it is that you get addicted to, you're using it for the same reason - as a crutch. You're obviously aware that you're doing this and why. I suspect that, no matter how painful it might seem, you may need to work through these past issues if you're ever going to find freedom from addiction.
    Tallyho likes this.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe try other therapies or find a support group dealing with such kind of addiction. You can also try meditation or self evaluation to further know the root cause of your addiction problems. Dealing with pain is not easy but it is possible to at least feel better than the other days.
    Tallyho likes this.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

What you need is a more permanent solution to the underlying issues. As long as those issues aren't addressed then you'll find yourself a slave to addictions all your life. I think you need to find betters way to deal with grief and betrayal. Don't try to block the pain. Let it envelope you and after a while you'll stop feeling the pain and move on.
  7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

It sounds to me that you like the idea of having something to comfort you, rather than dealing with the reality of the situation. I used to be like this. I would switch my addictions left and right because I was enjoying the idea of being addicted to something. It helped me cope with the things going on around me and pretty much made me into a zombie. I think people can find comfort in their addictions, but I don't think people can have an addiction to being addicted. That in itself is called addiction.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I haven't been through a similar situation before, but I was able to understand you anyway. Well, I think instead of looking for another thing/substance to get addicted to, why not just find your true passion in life and pursue it? That might help you let go of your other addictions, and you will even feel more happy and fulfilled.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Like Rosyrain says, there are addictive personality types who it seems have to be addicted to something. Even those who are on drugs and alcohol, and kick it requently become addicted to something else to replace it. This could be religion, exercise, food...sex or many other things. In general, the things they become addicted to are generally more positive than the SA addiction however.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Some people in life do seem to go from one addiction to another, and will beat one only to find they've replaced it with another.

An addictive personality is hard to combat, and while I think it can be beaten eventually, you have to make sure that you are focused and realise when you might be coming addicated before it actually takes over.
  11. Tallyho

Thank you very much to everyone who's replied. Your insight and supportive comments are really helpful. It's encouraging to see that there are others out there who get what I mean, and the suggestions are great. I definitely think I need to look into finding an addict support group again. It's very hard to find in my area, but clearly something needs to be done differently, since it's so deeply ingrained.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Classic case. Need for speed. Adrenaline junkie. You are seeking sensation because you feel nothing without it. Wow, many factors, so many factors that cause this.
    Mainly there are so many things that cause a person to not feel anything or feel empty. Where do I start? Lol Food, processed foods that are full of chemicals are all designed to lessen every sense you have and wreak health problems on the body. Toxins in the air and water. Best things to do is eat real organic foods, no GMO's. No processed foods. You will feel more. You will taste more. You will feel happier. I promise. Eat, eat enough to fuel your body. We all need 2500-3500 calories a day. If you starve yourself your brain won't work properly and you will have no energy to exist.
    You've got to detox the toxins and junk out of the body. Whatever cleanses you can muster up. Do them. I like the sauna and steam room myself.
    People want to feel things. Love, excitement, and happiness. When they don't, they seek thrills and destruction because they are feeling nothing. Emptiness doesn't happen for no reason at all. Fill yourself up with the right things. Pollution, stress, processed foods, chemical drugs, and so forth all add up to a bogged down body that is barely normal.
    An addict support group. Why not find a group or make a group on a completely different subject. You become like those you surround yourself in. Change the focus. Take the word addict out of your vocabulary and mental talk.
  13. Tallyho

Thanks for taking the time to share your views, Adrianna, I appreciate that a lot. I think there's definitely some wisdom in what you're saying, but I'm not sure how much I can really work towards any of that at the moment, or if all of it is right for me. I will definitely keep your words in mind however!