An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to adrenaline?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by GenevB, Aug 11, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Hey everyone, I want to share an interesting story that happened to me and a few of my friends in the last months. We were going through a hard exam, the exam that decides if we can go to college or not in our country. We were all like joking outside about it and so before we took it. After the last day of the exam, after we know it passed away and we were waiting for the results, we simply wouldn't have any life at all. It was like we would've want another session of it, another dose of that adrenaline we felt when we were thinking about it. For about 3 or 4 days everyone I know that took it was feeling without a sense in the world, it was like someone took our goals away and that was it was left was a lot of spare time that we wouldn't do anything with because nothing seemed to cheer us up anymore.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think there's definitely people out there that enjoy that feeling of adrenaline - after all I guess there's where the term "adrenaline junkie" comes from. But I guess it's not necessarily in the same vein as drug addiction.

I think to myself of the people I know and would classify as adrenalin junkies - they all love those thrill seeking sports like skydiving, bungee jumping, and things like that. They're always out doing interesting and exciting things - and I guess that isn't a bad thing, right? I think they're just living life to the fullest, even if some of those things I would never have the courage to do!
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

People who love adrenaline usually love danger. Adrenaline junkies probably couldn't stay away from dangerous situations for too long. I think this is an addiction that should be channeled with sports. As long as you don't do things like try to dodge traffic or play with snakes to get your fix, you should be okay. If this problem is dealt with the wrong way it could be unhealthy.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

There are adrenaline junkies out there, but you often see them doing dangerous stuff... like throwing themselves into the air from a plane and things like that. There are people who do that very often. Some people do that only once in a lifetime... some keep going back for more. They get addicted to the adrenaline. Some people get into street car races... some into having sex in public places (the adrenaline to get caught is strong). I honestly hadn't thought so much about this kind of addiction, but it can indeed be super dangerous... since you are practically addicted to danger.
  5. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I don't know if you guys are addicted to adrenaline, so much as you're coming off of just being in a stressful situation. Once that stress is over with, it can sometimes feel like there's nothing left in life. It will pass, though. You'll be moving on to college, since you know you all passed your exams, and that'll be a bunch of new stuff to focus on.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I agree with @kassie1234, there are those kinds of people who love the thrill of things even if those things are highly dangerous and could take their lives. I also know some people who are considered "adrenaline junkies," they're adventure seekers and they take anything that life has to offer them. I actually admire them because I don't have as much courage as them to ever do the things they do.

They love to do dangerous things and they love to be in danger as what @Tsky45 said. I guess there's nothing wrong with wanting to do what you really want and seeking out your thrill of adventure because it's really an individual choice. The important thing is that you do it at your own risk and at your own will without hurting anybody on the process. Some people call it "living life to the fullest."
  7. GenevB

We already passed that, but for the first few days it was like nothing made any sense anymore, we wouldn't do things like playing PC games or anything else that we used to do while we were supposed to study for the exam, it was like it had no joy for us to do it after we had all the time in the world to do so.
  8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Adrenaline, or just getting a rush can be addictive to some people. I remember watching family guy when Brian ends up getting " runner's high" because he was running so much. I hate running so I don't think I would ever experience something like that.
  9. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I can't help but to think that an addiction to adrenaline wouldn't be very long lived... it could likely kill you quicker than any other addiction
  10. GenevB

Probably, even though addiction to adrenaline shouldn't be as harmful itself for your body as others, it would probably be the one that kills you the quickest, the irony.
  11. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Yeah that's a very mild thing and not an addiction what you were describing. But there are real adrenaline junkies that get thrills off of playing with death like climbing mountains, skydiving, walking on a tightrope, parkour, etc.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Adrenaline. I would have thought this would be more like achievement. But I guess the momentum and anticipation of the achievement to completion gives adrenaline. Keeping the mind engaged.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes there is such a thing as "adrenaline junkies", and it mostly consists of people who are into extreme sports like race car drivers and the like. I don't think it can be considered harmful since it's more of a state of mind than actual substance dependency.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016