An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Artificial Sweetner

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by kgord, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I'm trying to gradually ween my dad away from artificial sweeteners. I don't think he is addicted to them or anything of the sort, but he has increased his consumption. He started out with 1-2 artificial sweetener tabs but has increased them to 3-4 with his cup of tea or coffee lately. I don't think that's going to do much good to his health.
  2. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

I never really thought about being addicted to artificial sweeteners, but more so the caffine in the drinks that contain artificial sweeteners.
    Do you think it could be another compound in the things you're consuming?
  3. madetofly

madetofly Member

Yes, in this case, I must say yes because I need something sweet to eat after my meal if I don't have it then I feel something missing and that is really a worst condition it really sucks.
    I am very much addicted to artificial sweetener.
  4. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Does fruit help with your craving?
    Like sweet pink lady apples or honey melons?
    A bowl of fruit salad with some light whipped cream and a light dusting of splenda could help you start to cut down your sweetener craving.
    Eventually maybe cutting out the dusting and just having the fruit & cream?
  5. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

You can get addicted to anything, I would say a good diet always helps and working out would give an awesome motivation if anything.
  6. GD0724

GD0724 Member

I understand that you feel the craving sensation of artificial sweetener but I think you should practice putting your goals over your wants if they are not parallel. I have have a friend that was once struggling with sugar the same and she used ideals of the body she wanted to attain for herself as her daily motivation. She eventually met her goals and hasn't gone back to how she was ever since. I hope this can be of some help to you.
  7. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

@GD0724 is right, having a goal or ambition bigger than your addiction is a powerful drive.
    What are your goals? How do you think artificial sweeteners are hampering them?
  8. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I would say that artificial sweetener has the same effect as sugar. However, artificial sweetener has been proven to be more unhealthy than sugar.
  9. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

This kind of brings us back to the age old question: what exactly is an addiction? For me, I'd say that there does have to be some element of the behavior being deleterious to the person with the addiction. Whether using artificial sweeteners can be said to be harmful I suppose is a subjective thing. Do you see your "addiction" as being damaging in any way? That ultimately is the issue that needs to be addressed.....
  10. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Not all have been proven to be unhealthy.
    Currently the only proof is that artificial sweeteners can be unhealthy as standard sugar because of it potentially mimicing the same isullin response as sugar. But this isn't so with all sweeteners.

Many are safe and ideal if you're looking to reduce your sugar intake
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well apparently they trick your body into thinking something sweet is coming, and when it doesn't it gets confused and puts insulin in the bloodstream or something like that. YOu would have to read about the technical explanation because I might be wrong. Anyway, I am on Weight Watchers now, and I am having artificial sugar, but I am not going crazy with it. Maybe a glass or two a day is all I am having.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I think there's nothing wrong with that kind of addiction if the alternative sweetener you're addicted to is healthy and good for your body in the first place. However, if you consume artificial sweetener with aspartame, and we all know it can cause cancer, then you have to switch to healthier types of sweetener like Stevia for instance. Still, if you consume too much of it, your body will still suffer in the long run. Humanity is built for moderation. Too much of anything is ultimately harmful.
  13. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

@kgord some sweeteners have been shown to cause an insullin response, but not all of them, and none of them as much as sugar. As you said, best for people to go out and read the tech things through Google if they're concerned.

@xTinx aspartame is one of the most tested and investigated substances because of the fears of cancer. In humans, it is perfectly safe and the guidline amount is not easy to go over: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx
    There is a rare condition that means some people have to avoid the aspartme altogether, in the link :)
  14. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

That is actually what I do. I only use sweeteners like Stevia for my coffee which is no more than 2-3 cups per day. Although no telling how much sweeteners are in other products. Sometimes it’s hard to know what is really good for our bodies or not.

I was reading an article on Agave Nectar. The article stated that Agave is sweeter than sugar (which is true from my experience). I use it along with Stevia for my coffee. It does contain fructose and can increase the blood sugar level. It also can decrease insulin sensitivity. Agave is also high in calories.
  15. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

That doesn't sound like a serious addiction, as nowadays, most of the people are addicted to sugar, as we simply ingest it more than often. You will find lots of people having withdrawals from sugar because of the fact that sugar gets our serotonin levels high for a short period of time. This addiction of yours, sounds exactly like that, only that you replace the substance with an artificial sweetener, which guess what, is made to do exactly that, to fool your brain into thinking that it has a pleasing taste.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Anyone can be addicted to anything, and that includes artificial sweeteners in general. I think that you should try to decrease your consumption of artificial sweeteners bit by bit and just try to snack on healthier foods like nuts for example.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  17. gritsgirl52

gritsgirl52 Member

I am totally addicted to Saccharin and diet pepsi, i use sweetn low in my coffee and iced tea, i can give up the soda, but how do i get the other out of my diet, please help!