An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to beauty treatments

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by amethyst, Jul 2, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I live in a country where not just women, but also men, are excessively concerned about their appearance. Most people here regard it as a part of their weekly, or even bi-weekly, routine to visit a beauty saloon where they have regular manicures, pedicures, hair styling, waxing, etc.
    When I first came here, I found it strange to see men wearing transparent nail polish, and sitting next to the women in the beauty parlors that you can literally find on every street corner.
    I come from a background where you can do most of these things yourself at home. You can look good without having to constantly pay others to take care of your basic grooming. Am I wrong?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Wow - I wish I could afford going to the salon weekly or twice a week! Maybe not even afford it, but have the time to sit in a salon and get a manicure and pedicure and hairstyle once or twice a week! ;)

In all seriousness, though, it can be I guess a little problematic if it's interfering with every day life. I mean - I would say it's a normal human feeling to want to look nice, and put together. If it was interfering with other finances and so forth, then I guess it could be seen as crossing the line into abnormal type behavior.

And yes - where I am from going to a salon for a manicure or pedicure is a nice treat, but definitely not in the realm of weekly behavior for most people I know!!
    amethyst likes this.
  3. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is one thing that I had not tried in my life which is going to salon or any beauty clinic for beauty treatments and whatsoever. Even before going to bed I just take a shower then cleanse and moisturize my face that's it. And I do not put any kind of beauty cream products in my face. Sometimes if you put many things in your face the more it will looks aged especially when you stop using them. That is why other people said maybe that is why your face does not look your age....
    amethyst likes this.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Culture can sometimes play a great part in the kind of addiction people get exposed to. Of course, such addiction need not be a substance-related. That's why it's very important to exercise discernment all the time. If you keep your feet firmly on the ground then you can avoid getting lured by materialistic pursuits.
    amethyst likes this.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Haha, same. Though on the other hand, I’m kind of glad it’s out of my budget, because personally I can see how I might make it too much of a habit. After I gave up binge drinking and tried to shed negative influences from my life, I’ve turned to things that would comfort me, and this definitely fits the bill. Self-care is all well and good, as is being pampered sometimes, but if someone’s blowing all their money on it, then it’s a problem.
  6. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That could just be a cultural thing. Being addicted to beauty treatment sounds like something born of a lack of self confidence. Generally, people who go over the top with beauty relate things are insecure in who they are and mistakenly think that being beautiful will make them secure and get them the kind of love and attention they want. If it's just part of normal like though, it's not likely an addiction, just a habit.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have manicure and pedicure once a month at the most! And we only have this woman who goes to our house and does our nails. It is quite cheaper than going to the salon. And I am not really patient with cleaning my nails especially in my feet as I always end up bleeding lol.

So maybe you can be addicted to beauty treatments when you do it excessively. But once in a while pampering yourself relaxes you and makes you feel good.
  8. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I think there are people who do focus too much on their appearance and get obsessed with it but I wouldn't exactly call it an addiction. Maybe only in very extreme circumstances.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I never went to a saloon. I don't even cut my hair at a hairdresser's parlor anymore. I do all the things regarding health and beauty at home (even my work out). This was never a very serious issue to me and I prefer to spend my money on other stuff.
  10. artkat96

artkat96 Member

Personally, I believe everyone is entitled to their own body and can do whatever they want to themselves for whatever reason. Maybe it's self consciousness, maybe it's just enjoying those treatments.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Where do you live, Brazil? It is a cultural thing. Kind of contagious. I do think hygiene and taking care of how you look is important. I like it when a guy takes care of the manicure and pedicure. If they don't know how to do these things then paying a professional makes sense. It is far better then bitting the nails or leaving dirt under there.
    Women going once a week for a blow dry is popular in metropolitan areas. I would if I had extra money. It is certainly better to see a woman with their hair styled and dressed nice. Pajamas and hair like tumble weed is kind of ridiculous.
    Addiction to this? I think it is more of being lazy. They don't want to do these things themselves but they know they need to do it, so they pay someone. Perhaps they are perfectionists because all of this comes out ten times better when a professional does it.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  12. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think taking care of one's basic grooming is vital. Especially if one has to be around people on a professional level. However, it can be overkill to spend so much time and money on various beauty treatments and may even lead to narcissism. Perhaps some of these folks are narcissists beforehand and are just partaking in something that they are naturally attuned to. If that's they case, then they should seek help as this can't be healthy.
  13. Coolkidhere

@Adrianna
    I think I'm one of those lazy people lol. I hate doing my own manicure and pedicure. I just don't have the patience for it. So a nail cleaning lady is really a must for me. They charge very affordably anyway and they do the job perfectly. It is better to have my nails cleaned than have them looking like trash. So I really do save up money to have my nails cleaned every two weeks. My hair is very low maintenance though. Oftentimes, I just put it in a ponytail. Though a lot of people here are addicted with rebounding which costs a lot. It is a hair straightening treatment that salons offer.
  14. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I'm slightly obsessed with my nails right now but I don't consider it an addiction at all.
    I'm aware that my boyfriend will be proposing soon, as we have gone and picked a ring out together. Obviously, that means very soon I will be having a lot of people looking at my hand, pictures taken of my hand, etc.
    I started last week spending about twenty minutes every evening taking care of my cuticles, touching up my nail polish meticulously, filing them so they are even and staring at my nails to make sure they are perfect.
    I still wouldn't call that an addiction even though at the moment it's taking a part of my day and it's something always on my mind. Heaven forbid I break a nail right now! I'm avoiding scrubbing dishes as much as I can!
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Maybe this is more of a psychological issue than a case of addiction. I mean, when you're addicted to beauty treatments, aren't you considered vain? There are people who gain confidence from their outward appearance, while others are simply self-obsessed. This so-called addiction to beauty treatments is a mental problem of sorts, I believe.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that there are now more and more people going to the salon and that could be the reason why there are many salons in here now. Some might just want to look good and feel good, and they see that going to the salon can make them achieve that rather than doing it at home. Although there could really be some who got addicted to it already.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Well if this is something that is popular where you live, a lot of people will be doing it. I think this is what most businesses are making money from there, so it probably won't stop. If you live in a culture where people are always concerned about there appearance this could cause them to always be in salons, it might not really be an addiction. I do agree that somethings could be done yourself. But this is just like people liking going out to the movies every weekend if the culture loves it the theaters will make money from it.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  18. Coolkidhere

In a way, you are right, sometimes culture and society affects a person's way of thinking or even actions. So if going to a salon is a norm there, then people there don't really have a problem with addiction. Unless, of course, they do it more than usual. I have a friend who changes her nail polish every week. I don't know if that is addiction yet but I know it's not quite healthy to have polish on all the time. You're supposed to let your nails breathe sometimes. But she doesn't like to have bare nails lol.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I know that people become addicted to plastic surgery. Many of them end up looking quite freakish, as they have had their features done time and time again. It is sad that people are willing to spend so much money on this, and end up looking in many cases like a store mannequin. I don't think changing nail polish every week rises to the level of an addiction, but certainly undergoing plastic surgery repetitively, is not healthy.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I'd say that everywhere needs to be a balance. I'm all out for beauty treatments, everyone needs to take care of themselves from time to time but if you go there religiously I wouldn't say it's healthy.