An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to caffeine?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Carnold23, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Is it possible to have a physical addiction to caffeine?
    Whenever I don't have my coffee or tea in the morning I get tension headaches and I am just cranky the rest of the day.
    I also find I need to drink a certain amount by a certain time of day or I get very grumpy.
    Anyone else experience this? I know you can be addicted to coffee, but a physical addiction?
    Deeishere and Damien Lee like this.
  2. Dasjdas2

Dasjdas2 Member

I really think that caffeine should be considered a addiction. I have tried for many years to leave pops alone but the caffeine is long a powerful drug that keeps calling me back. Whenever I do not have a ice cold Pepsi it seems as if I get very anger and frustrated. I know I am addicted to caffeine, it is my drug of habit.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If you drink coffee for a long time you're gonna start relying on it, which is something you don't really want. My parents are like this, while they're old now they can't wake up properly without drinking coffee. Have you tried green tea instead of coffee? It may be a healthier substitute.
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I think caffeine is incredibly addicting. My mother was an avid Diet Coke drinker while I was in high school. She spent a lot of time throwing fits over people drinking the last of her soda and would get the shakes over it. It was really crazy to see because it's such a simple thing to become addicted to.
  5. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

You are very right. My husband has the same problem. He drinks pepsi and if he doesn't have some form of caffeinated soda in the morning he will have headaches until he does finally get some. I for one am ready for there to be regulations on caffeine. It really is hard on a persons body and there are physical symptoms of withdrawal from it. The same as sugar.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Caffeine is highly addictive. So many people have to have the morning coffee or their day is ruined. They can't go a day without coffee. My sister drinks 8-10 cups a coffee a day. It's crazy. I have one cup in the morning but not every morning. If I don't have it I'm fine. It is not something I have to have every morning but there are people who get nasty headaches and feel irritable without their coffee.
  7. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Yeah, caffeine is highly addictive. What most people don't realize is the fact that the body gets accustomed to the caffeine after a while, therefore the daily coffee doesn't have any positive effect from some point on. Sadly, I pretty much love Cola 0. I probably have to stop drinking as I am an avid Coke 0 drinker.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have heard a lot of people say they were addicted to coffee. It usually starts with needing to stay awake during the day. There's a reason why star bucks is still in business, having all these delicious varieties. I think caffeine has to be used in moderation. I drink coffee sometimes but won't over do it. Caffeine can become really addictive if you aren't careful.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think the headaches might be similar to withdrawal symptoms. Caffeine can be found in lots of drinks, not just coffee so I can see some people getting addicted to it. I would suggest seeing a doctor for the headaches because that is a pretty painful thing to experience.
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

In my experience, the headaches are due the lack of sleep. Many people drink caffeine rich drinks to have more energy, but they don't realize that most of them cut off their sleeping periods. Especially if the headaches are in the frontal area, they are definitely related to the lack of sleep.
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I'm exactly the same. Need my morning coffee otherwise the rest of my day doesn't go too well. My headaches tend to go away if I stay away from coffee for around 3 days or so. Fortunately, I'm a moderate drinker and I doubt I'll ever stop drinking coffee. There are health benefits and coffee does help me to keep switched on during a busy day. However, those that drink a lot of coffee are definitely addicted.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that caffeine is addictive which can be found on many beverages such as coffee. I knew some personally who declared themselves coffee addicts. They think and feel that they cannot function well without a cup of coffee.
  13. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

One of my friends had almost exactly the same problem, though for him it was Diet Pepsi, not Pepsi. He thought it was somehow better for him just because it was 'diet', so he'd have five, six, seven, sometimes eight cans in one day. Whenever we were in class he'd get moody because he couldn't drink pop at his desk. It was an issue for the better part of two years, until he realized just how bad it was.

Also, he didn't lose any weight. Go figure.
    misskrystal1982 likes this.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

My sister used to drink coffee two to three times a day and that increased the sugar levels in the body and also would cause her to be addicted for some years, and she would find it hard to sleep and would stay up longer which was a problem and took quite a lot of work to cut down the caffeine she was getting in the body. The addiction can be hard at times since you may feel an urge to consume it and may rely on it to move forward in life when you have hard work, or trying to stay up late, which may cause problems in your sleep pattern and leave you irritated. It may seem harmless to the body but it is very easy to be addicted to the caffeine and some drinks may have a lower amount but this can cause some people to have a few cans which can make them feel unwell.
  15. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think there are a lot of people addicted to caffeine. I think it is one of the most addictive substances out there really. I mean caffeine in the form of coffee is good for you, but drinking more than the recommended 3 cups of day is not. Many people are addicted to caffeine and coke or soda that has caffeine. That is most definitely unhealthy.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's something they put in it in some places that keep people coming back. Starbucks for example, people are addicted and get their caffeine every single day. People say, I have to have my coffee. No you're just addicted. I'm glad I always found it disgusting. Same with soda.
  17. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

Caffeine and sugar are two things people just don't understand are so bad. Sure, your body can handle it in small occasional doses. But it has to be allowed to leave the system. If you don't detox from these substances they can wreak havoc on your body. I firmly believe that these along with the other junk they put in "food" is at the root of all the diseases we have these days.
    It's time for people to start growing and raising their own food. Thankfully I live in the country. I have been starting my own little farm since we moved here. It really is an awesome feeling to absolutely know what you are putting in your body.
  18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Actually I am not a lover of drinking coffee because I always feel I cannot sleep at night if ever I had drink even a cup of coffee a day and as much as possible I am also avoiding sugar because genetically speaking there are some relatives and member of the family who had diabetes. And I am afraid that I can inherit the disease that is why as early as possible I am already taking care of my health. I knew there are people who are drinking 2 cups or more and I think it is not good for their health already.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Coffee is a neurotoxin. Which means it destroys, inhibits, or destroys cells within the nervous system. It is addictive. What you are talking about is withdrawal symptoms. I've seen people sweat from trying to get off of Dunkin Donuts coffee.
    People really don't know why they are drinking when it comes to coffee. There are plenty of other ways to increase your energy.
  20. McWindy

McWindy Member

Mental and physical addiction to caffeine is most definitely real, it has been documented in several medical journals. Many people, myself included, use coffee or other caffeine delivery methods to start their day, and are severely impacted if they don't get their daily caffeine fix. I drink two to three cups of coffee daily, or I pick up an energy drink on my way to class if I sleep in and don't have time to drink a cup or two before I leave the house. Simply fixing one cup isn't even enough to wake me up anymore. My caffeine addiction is only compounded with my addiction to nicotine, and I will not be a very pleasant person to be around if I have to get through a day without either. On average, I spend $5-10 on tobacco every week, and I usually purchase one or two energy drinks in the average week, which are not cheap at $2-3 a can. If I could quit tobacco or caffeine, I would save over $100 a year, multiple hundred if I could quit both. Unfortunately, taking 17 hours in college and working part time doing construction, I simply don't have the patience/energy to get through the day without them right now. I hope to curb off my usage in the future, and eventually get to where I only drink one cup of coffee a day, and use no nicotine.