An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to chocolate

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by katherine25, May 23, 2015.

1. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I love chocolate and I have to have a little bit of it every day. If a day passes that I don't have some chocolate I get head aches. I'm not to worried about it as I am not over weight or anything I just don't know how it would affect my health long term. Does anyone else love chocolate this much? How do you cut back without suffering from head aches?
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

Chocolates can make you overweight. You will need to cut the consumption or face the effects. What if you replace them with biscuits? At what time do you like eating chocolates? Can you find something else to do at that time. By being busy somewhere you will not have the time to go for chocolates.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Chocolate is a wonderful food if you aren't allergic to it. Quite a number of people have strong reactions after consuming chocolate, and it's not unusual that they are oblivious to the fact that the it's the chocolate that is causing the migraines, bloating, gas, etc. Pure, raw chocolate is high in antioxidants and very nutritious, but at the same time it also contains natural ingredients that make many people sick.
    I wouldn't recommend eating chocolate on a daily basis. You might want to start reducing slowly. Try and eat more fruit and sweet nuts, such as cashews. You can also start cutting back by creating some tasty smoothies with soy or almond milk mixed with chocolate powder for the taste that you like so much. Basically, it's only a matter of changing your habits and finding new ways to steer away from excessive chocolate consumption.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, I’ve been known to have a similar habit of craving a bit of dark chocolate every day, especially when I’m stressed out and need the mood boost. I still eat some chocolate every few days and maybe I should cut back a bit more, but I can say replacing it with nuts, seeds and fruits helps me a lot.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I almost got addicted to chocolates before as I eat it for breakfast and then have some chocolates the rest of the day. I just really made up my mind to eat less of it cause I know my health will suffer if I would not stop eating much chocolates. Good thing I do not suffer from headaches or any other withdrawal symptoms.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Chocolate has caffeine, which is acidic. Too much chocolate in your system may also result in gastroesophageal reflux or peptic ulcer. If you have renal or adrenal problems, you should avoid foods high in potassium - that includes chocolate. If you're diabetic, all the more reason.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Well there are definitely food addictions out there - I think it usually manifests itself as eating disorders, binge eating and so forth. I think if you're reliant on it to the point that you simply can't go a day without it then it's worth looking at cutting back. Even if it's not an "addiction" as such it's always worthwhile to be aware of your health. I love chocolate myself, don't get me wrong, but if I ate it every day (and in the quantities I would like to!) then I don't think I'd be too healthy - it's often full of sugar unless you get the pure, dark chocolate kind. Everything in moderation!
  8. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear that. I think some chocolate types have caffeine and it can be too bad for your brain and it makes sense why you would be addicted to it. I think there is a way which is cutting it back slowly because withdrawing caffeine can be really harmful for your body. No worries though, you can get through it and there's hope, at least it's not so bad.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I like chocolate too but it can cause diabetes and raise sugar levels drastically which can lead to overweight and worse things like heart attacks and possible strokes. Its hard to regulate something you love but try searching for other more healthier alternatives. I recently started snacking on sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds as a snack rather than chocolates and chips.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Chocolate is something which is sweet and can be addictive as well, and a person needs to have control when eating it and have a few pieces in a week which is better than eating a whole block of it. A person, with diabetes can get their sugar level too high, then it comes down and need to eat the right food and not turn to sweet or salty food as these may seem tasty, but will either cause a rise in sugar and salt and then go down all of a sudden. When you do some physical work, you will lose what you digested and than would have to eat something else and try and eat something healthy and not too sweet or salty.
  11. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Try to decrease the quantity of chocolate you eat day by day until you won't need to eat it anymore. It worked for me when I was addicted to the Sprite drink.
  12. kylerlittle

Very important point. Withdraw slowly and decrease the quantity till it is withdrawn completely. Don't stop all of a sudden because it might cause depression.
  13. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Good way to approach this is by buying smaller and smaller portion coontrolled or snack size chocolates. As you move on, get them even smaller!
  14. kylerlittle

@ZXD22 Yes, for sure. I also would say that sugar also sometimes gives a feeling of high and up, do not be deceived by it because it can be really harmful for your body. Chocolate is good only sometimes, or perhaps dark chocolate is good and I don't know about other types but I can fairly say that only a little won't harm, but it should be balanced and should not overcome us.
  15. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Yes, another strategy that will eliminate the temptation of eating it.
  16. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Well first off im a vegetarian . Well, you need to stop eating so much chocolate slowly. When you a vegetarian, your body ususally doesn't have to work hard processing your food, but since you eat large amounts of chocolate daily, it makes your body work a lot harder. And you can easily get diabetes if you continue this practice. And you don't want diabetes because you die 10-15 years younger-that is scientifically proven. My advice to you is every time you take a bite of chocolate and want more, get a rubber band put it on your wrist and snap it. Eventually you will get tired of the snapping and stop eating the chocolate.
  17. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

i had the same prob. what helped for me was to just cut it all out for a while. i know it sounds impossible, but its really not. what i did was i gave away all the chacolate in the house. and had other people do all my shopping so i couldnt buy any more. it really helped. after a while i forgot about chacolate and now i can eat it with going over board. if you want something to replace it, try a chocolate flavored hard candy so it last way longer because you suck instead of chew. both methods are good.
  18. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

If the chocolate is not next to you you can't eat it. Don't buy chocolate and don't be near chocolate. Think of other things and if you want to eat chocolate after a meal drink 6-8 cups of water and I asure you you will not want to eat chocolate. Be healthy and know that chocolate is not healthy in big portions.
  19. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Well, in terms of long term effects, it's no more or less healthy than most other kinds of candy. You can be addicted to it. Just be mindful of the sugar intake for diabetes. Not to mention the fact that chocolate expands your stomach which in turn makes you gain weight. Then of course, the potential tooth rot. I'm not mentioning this stuff to scare you. I just want you to be aware it can do more harm than good.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, this isn't an immediate emergency since it can be easily fixed. You need to get into the habit of eating different type of foods/snacks so that your body gets everything that he needs.
    That being said, you can really have health problems in the long-run if you eat too much chocolate.