An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to chocolate

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by katherine25, May 23, 2015.

1. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is the first time I've heard of any one getting headaches from a chocolate withdraw. I know people who love chocolate too, I'm sure it can be addictive. As far as the headaches I think you should ask a doctor about that. Chocolate is a mood enhancer, like a afrodisiac . The fact it can enhance your mood, could be the cause of withdraw symptoms maybe.
  2. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I think it is only in your thinking that you are feeling headache if you will not eat chocolate in one day. Eating too much chocolate is bad for our health. Just eat them at the right amount only. I you really want to stay away from your habit of eating chocolate everyday you can start by withdrawing it one step at a time. If you really love yourself love your health too.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It depends... if you like dark chocolate with no sugar or milk chocolate (usually loaded with sugar), then you might end up becoming diabetic later on. If you eat the dark one that is 85% cacao or so, then kudos to you, you are actually doing something good for your health. Milk chocolate is basically junk with loads of sugar and chemicals. It also depends on the brand.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

How about you try to wean yourself from chocolates by eating other sweets like pastries and ice cream? You have to eat them in moderation though. Then once your fixation on chocolates has been diverted, then try to eat more healthy food instead.
  5. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I am also quite addicted to chocolates before. My solution was to stop buying them. When you do not have them in your fridge, well you cannot eat them. Replace chocolates with fruits like mangoes or grapes. They are sweet and healthier. I usually eat fruits after meals as my dessert.
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Chocolate is one of my guilty pleasures, but I do consume it moderately. I know of people that have gained weight by excessively eating too many chocolates and other sweets. It's better to cut down and avoid those negative effects on your health. I know what you mean about head aches, but these tend to go away after your body adjusts to the decreased caffeine in your system.
  7. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

I do indeed but I will only get a headache if I eat it too near to bedtime. I don't eat too much but I can honestly say I don't want to give it up because it's my guilty pleasure. I don't smoke or drink so where is the harm in a little chocolate each day. Life would be very dull if we cut out everything that wasn't good for us.