An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Coca-Cola

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Damien Lee, May 23, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

We've all heard that old urban legend, that Coca-Cola contained cocaine when it was first introduced to the market. People quickly became addicted and the drink became popular at a rapid rate. Whether that is true or not, we will never truly know. We do know that Coca-Cola, and many other soft drinks contain plenty of other unhealthy substances such as Aspartame.

As a kid I would drink copious amounts of Coca-Cola, when I got to my early twenties I switched to Red Bull as this was the cool drink to have. Mind you, Red Bull is just as unhealthy as Coca-Cola and it just tastes worse. Perhaps you get a bit more of a caffeine buzz but not much else.

Anyway, Coca-Cola remains one of the most, if not the most popular soft drink on the planet. I see that not much has changed, kids and many adults gorge on the stuff. One could argue that they are even addicted, what are your thoughts on this?
  2. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I used to drink nothing but Coke when I was a kid growing up and now as an adult I only drink Diet Coke. I would say I was addicted only because when I didn't drink it I would get serious head aches. I'm not so bad anymore I can go a few days without it but its hard because I just love the taste. I don't see the phase of Coke going anywhere anytime soon.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The most that Coca Cola can do is destroy the kidneys or hasten the onset of diabetes. Their products contain high levels of caffeine and sugar. Zero and Diet have already switched to using sucralose in lieu of aspartame (thought to be cancerous) so unless you drink these Coke products, excessive intake may turn you into a full-fledged diabetic. Anyway, just like coffee, it's the caffeine content that gets people addicted. As long as their health isn't compromised, people can go ahead with this addiction. If it takes a toll on their health, they have no one but themselves to blame. So while there's enough time to save their well-being, people should strive to be healthier instead and drink less Coke.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never got addicted to coca cola or any soda but I knew someone who once addicted to it. On young age, she already suffered from ulcer because of usual and too much drinking of soda. Definitely these sodas are unhealthy drinks but I still drink it sometimes or in occasion.
  5. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I drink Mt. Dew. I'll actually get a caffeine headache if I don't have it.

Did you know aspartame was originally created for chemical warfare? The FDA has sent numerous people to decide if it is good or not. And every time they came back with a judgment of "it's good" and their 2 week notice because they have a higher paying job with Coke.
  6. Nonn

Nonn Member

I use to have a minor Coke habit but went so long without drinking any soda whatsoever because of health reasons, now whenever I try to drink that stuff it's just gross.
  7. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Never got addicted to sodas very much. Yes I do agree coca-colas are one of the most unhealthiest drinks out there. Did you know that you could use coca-cola to clean toilets and stuff? That is soo disturbing especially when you are drinking this stuff. Sometimes I wonder what exactly I am drinking or eating.
  8. kianthras

kianthras Member

Being in post secondary school, I would have many a late night of trying to stay up and finish projects and papers. Naturally I turned to caffeine for that much needed boost. My problem was, I hated the taste of coffee. Thus, I turned to Coke for my caffeine high. At one point I was drinking 2 litres of the stuff a day, which kept me up all night, which led to me missing my morning classes, which led to me having to work later (you can see where the cycle goes). Being off school now, I have managed to tone it down considerably which makes life better.

I've also discovered tea, which seems to have take the place of Coke. Both my doctor and my dentist seem to like the change, and I feel much healthier in drinking that than all of the sugar and other chemicals in Coke.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I know plenty of people that are very dependent on all kinds of sodas...Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper...I don't know if I would class it as an addiction as such, more like a habitual thing that they drink it regularly and they probably wouldn't enjoy giving it up, but they could if they tried quite easily. I personally don't like drinking a whole lot of soda, mainly from the perspective of those drinks just being empty calories. I'd prefer to use those calories on yummy things that I eat, rather than what I drink...so I tend to stick to water or black coffee or tea.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I can honestly say that I hardly ever touched Coca Cola or Cola drinks. When I was a kid, my mother would occasionally buy it and offer it to me, but I couldn't stand the sweet and (to me) nauseating taste. Also, I didn't like the color of the drink and that "bubbly" feeling in the back of my throat. I've always felt an aversion to it, and nothing has changed over the years.
  11. letoucan

letoucan Member

I know a couple of people that drink an unhealthy amount of soda each day. I'm not knowledgeable enough about human behavior to firmly say that it's impossible to be addicted to soda, but the people I know don't have any problems with suddenly stop drinking soda (we went camping). I guess for the people I know, it's just a bad habit for them.
  12. LilAnn

I've never heard of it being any worse than a caffeine headache.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I used to be addicted to sodas and sweet drinks severely. There was a phase in my life for about two years when I almost never drank water and instead I just drank sodas and fruits juices. I got over it somewhat naturally as I eventually found a friend who would only ever order water in restaurants so I got curious and tried it out and now I also do it as well and I now almost never buy sodas even when eating out. It might seem harmless on the surface I think many people realize that it can lead to health complications later on, so I'm really glad I kicked the habit before I did any long lasting damage, and I would say I really got lucky since at the time I really had no vision of how I would ever just drink water because back then I saw it as being way too boring.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Seems like many of us here had quite the sweet tooth back in our youth. It's sad that drinking such a refreshing drink, particularly on a hot summer day could lead to such severe health complications. I know of people, due to excessively drinking Coca-Cola and other sodas have burnt a hole through their stomach. We have to be particularly cautious what we consume and the rate at which consume it.
    LilAnn likes this.
  15. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

In dinner halls of our university My friends and I always drink soda after we eat our launch but that's mostly because it's hot over here and we almost have no other choise...it's a bad habit I know but simply can't do much about it.
  16. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I like it but I'm not addicted to it I mean I don't feel like drinking it as an addicted. Instead I would have this doubt on the Sprite drink.. that is kind of addicting to me but I doubt that there is some drugs in there.. moreover is just some fancy things we do ourself in our head.
  17. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Coca-cola and other sodas certainly have an addictive quality. Isuspect that it's not only the caffeine they contain but the sugar and/or artificial sweeteners too. I rarely drink the stuff myself - I just stick to water if I want a cold drink.
  18. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

My husband is addicted to Coke, the one in can. He has difficulty eating when there is no Coke on the dining table. Especially if the food is fried, Coke is a necessity for him. But he is not an addict like the others who do not drink water anymore.
  19. LilAnn

Really?!?! I had no idea that could happen! Is it all sodas or is Mt Dew probably safer than that?
  20. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I've never heard of Coke burning a hole in someone's stomach before however I know its pretty strong to remove rust and oil stains so anything is possible. Its scary how strong this drink is and what other damage it can cause.