An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Coffee and Tea

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by djdrug, Jan 22, 2016.

1. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, my story is quite simple. I used to be a superb athlete in high school. Then I went to college and worked really hard on my physique. I got a nice paying job in the corporate world, it was a sitting job, and a hectic one at that. Think finance type.

So, it was really taxing on my brain. I didn't notice but I got addicted to coffee, and when I couldn't get my hands on coffee, for example on a foreign tour, I would get tea. The thing is, the coffee machine is literally 10 steps away from my cubical. At home I have multiple coffee machines, one of them in my bedroom.

My physique became terrible and I gained a lot of weight probably because of all the mindless after-work parties and the mountains of sugar that I consumed with my coffee. Of course, then I saw someone near and dear go through a lot of crazy mental symptoms during their old age, attributed to the habit of drinking coffee.

I decided to change. So, I am glad to say that I have become super fit today thanks to a variety of circuit training programs I have put myself through, and my coffee consumption has reduced. Although, I still need coffee to get going in the morning. I still need coffee when stress levels rise at work.

That's my story. My life's a work in progress.
  2. loverman99

loverman99 Member

That's kinda weird. I've never heard of addictions such like these. However, I have a friend of mine who drinks coffee like 10 times per day. Maybe that's true.

All in all, these types of addiction are that severe compared to alcohol, marijuana, cocaine and other similar stuff. Sure, you will be able to kick it out.
    djdrug likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@djdrug... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing. Being addicted to caffeinated beverages is certainly very common in our society today. Coffee, tea, Coke, Mountain Dew, energy drinks, etc. So many people become dependent on that "kick" caffeine gives them. So you are certainly not alone. In fact, I was addicted to Diet Coke/Coke Zero for many years. Thank God I finally broke free of that crap about 5 years ago.

I'm happy to hear that you recognized your problem and decided to make a change in your life. Kudos to you! It sounds like you are definitely on the right path now. If your goal is to cut out caffeine completely, I think weaning yourself off slowly would be the best approach.

Thanks again for sharing. I'm sure others will read your story and be inspired by it. Change can happen if you're willing to work at it!

Peace.
    djdrug and Coolkidhere like this.
  4. queend17

queend17 Active Contributor

Well, I'm glad to hear that you've managed to turn your life around, hopefully you'll be able to completely break the habit and just stick with teas (also if you try different flavors, they can help you better relax and take the stress off of your brain, like peppermint, peach, cherry, or even Jasmine), trust me they help.
    djdrug, MrsJones and deanokat like this.
  5. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@djdrug Hi and welcome to the forum!

I must say, caffeine addiction is something I'm very familiar with. I guess with jobs like ours, caffeine is something that gets us going. Plus, junk food also has a place in my heart.:/ But I must commend you for realising your addiction to caffein early on and doing something about it. Most people don't see such an addiction as life-threatening but it can be especially when you're dealing with weight gain and obesity.

Thank you for sharing your story. I learned a lot from it. From now on, I am refraining from caffeine as much as I can. Maybe the most I can have is two cups a day. I hope many people learn from your inspirational story.
    djdrug and deanokat like this.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've been trying to work on that myself. I drink my coffee and tea black, so it's not the calories that are of concern to me - but more the reliance I have on it to get going, and the excessive amounts I drink. We have a 10 cup coffee maker at home and I was going through a whole pot basically to myself a day. Not healthy at all.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Drinking a cup of coffee or two is just okay but more than that it is not already good to our body system. It is a good thing that you had decided to change your addiction to coffee and I just hope you will continue motivating yourself to break that habit for the sake of your health. Thanks for sharing your story! :)
  8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story with us, I'm really happy that you're in a better position now and I definitely think that you're doing the best thing for your physical and mental health. Coffee is a pretty common habit and I think that's relatively fine if you're drinking it on the morning, as long as you don't feel that is harming you, listen to your body!
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is nice that you are able to be fit again and at least reduced your coffee consumption. I knew some friends who called themselves coffee addict but I think it was just a term they use as they do not think they can function well without coffee for breakfast and some cups later in a day.
  10. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I like how you describe your life as a work in progress. I think that many people can use this description to describe where they are at in life, I know that I certainly can. It seems like there are always things that I am working on in my life, and fitness is always one of the items on my list to work on, however, it usually gets pushed to the back burner. How did you motivate yourself to change and do circuit training programs?
    djdrug likes this.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Congrats that you have managed to get rid of your caffeine addiction and that you have managed to lose weight as well. I also drink coffee, but not to the point that I would get addicted to it and crave it when I was not able to drink it.
    djdrug likes this.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Coffee and tea are the #1 choice drug on planet earth!
    A little coffee or tea is a good thing, but too much can have some negative health effects.
    Good to know you are able to cut back and are getting healthy!
    Us desk jockeys and office drones really have to work hard to stay in shape.
    djdrug likes this.
  13. djdrug

Well, I realized that unless I was doing something competitive or challenging, I wouldn't feel motivated enough to workout as hard. So, I started looking at circuit training routines, and found them to be quite challenging. Plus, one circuit gets completed in less than 7 minutes, which means on a busy day, I can at least get some exercise. Also, I have routines that I can do without equipment, which means even when I am travelling, I can work on my body. Finally, circuit training gives the whole body workout, which is what I want, because my next goal is to go for a mini-marathon. Like I said, I have to be part of the competitive landscape somehow to stay motivated.
  14. djdrug

Thanks everyone for your amazing support. I have to say, this forum is everything I needed. I will definitely add more and more value to this forum.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Congratulations on being able to turn your life around through discipline and committing yourself to a healthier lifestyle. It's a well known fact that exercise can help alleviate cravings to addictive substances. A job well done indeed!
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am glad you have turned your life around. that realy says something for your self discipline and your commitment to yourself. Regardless of the substance you are addicted to, addiction takes a toll on your mind, body and spirit, and I am glad you were able to kick yours. It is just one of the things we have all looked to do.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story. Welcome to the community.
    I drink just about 8 cups of tea or coffee every day however I don't think I am addicted to coffee. My assumption is based on the fact that sometimes my days goes on without having a single cup of tea or coffee.
    djdrug likes this.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Great post, I think there are a lot of people out there who are addicted to coffee/caffeine and don't even realize it. Take that coffee away and they would suffer the withdrawal symptoms. It's actually pretty common. Whilst tea is also a source of caffeine, it's more beneficial in moderation than coffee and it contains plenty of antioxidants.
    djdrug likes this.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @djdrug! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing. I am glad to hear that everything's doing pretty well on your end. :) I also know a lot of people who have gotten addicted to coffee, and it's really a hard habit to break. It's good to know that you're getting fitter now. Keep that up! All the best to you. :)
    djdrug likes this.
  20. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It is a work in progress. It's the caffeine and the sugar that you got addicted to. I'm glad that you were able to get back into shape though and cut down quite a bit. Keep it up and wean yourself little by little. I fear what would happen if you altogether went cold turkey one day.
    djdrug likes this.