An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to depression pills

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Hiraeth, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

My cousin has been suffering from depression from the age of 14 or 15. She had been under therapy and had visited several counselors over time. Recently I found out that she has been taking a prescribed pill called Nitrosun for the past 3 years. When I Googled this medicine I was shocked to see the reviews of users speaking about the highly addictive and even destructive nature of this pill. It leads to memory loss, cognitive damage, not to mention side effcts that may result in putting the nervous system at risk. When I told my sister about this, she told me she read about them long time back, that she knew about the side effects. But she can't do without them anymore. She has become so dependent on them she feels her life will collapse on her if she doesn't have the sachet of pills with her all the time. She won't tell her parents or doctor for fear they will stop giving her the meds. I can see he withering away before my eyes. She is an adult, but I feel I must intervene and tell her parents. What do you suggest?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

If she's an adult, you need to tread lightly. You could tell her parents, but it might ruin your relationship with your her. The best end result would be if you could somehow convince her to talk to her doctor about weaning her off of the pills. But it sounds like she may not be ready for that. It's a tough situation, for sure.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Well you telling her about it first is the best approach. If she's an adult and you go behind her back and tell her parents, she may get defensive. Have a real conversation with her and why your concerned. It's really her choice to get help or not, but you may be able to influence her with reason. I hope you can convince her to stop taking these pills.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Nitrosun isn't actually an anti-depressant. It's the brand name for a benzodiazepine called nitrazepam and is prescribed for anxiety. We all know how addictive benzos are so it's no surprise she's reliant on them.

Now the doctors will not simply cut off her supply if she tells them what's happening. That can be fatal and no responsible doctor will do this. Instead, they will work out a taper program with her so she can reduce them gradually.

I'd resist the urge to tell her parents though.She's a grown adult and all this will do is increase her anxiety levels, making her even more reluctant to come off them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrazepam
    EditorsRHumansToo! and deanokat like this.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is sad when someone has to rely on these sort of pills to survive in their day to day life as the person does not believe they can live alone, and can be hard to overcome the pill as the mind can't let go of the desire for the drug which is man made. I think it will take time to stop using the drug as stopping it all of a sudden can just cause a relapse and frustration, which can lead to stress for the person and they can distance themselves away from others. This is a tough situation as you don't want to offend her and lose her altogether, so give it sometime and then try and talk to her about this situation.
  6. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

This is very very difficult. You feel so much love for your cousin. She needs help. She must get off her addiction to the prescribed drug. She needs all the support and strength to help her understand the reason why Nitrosun is doing more damage to her health than good. But, your cousin must be gently presented with the facts, in opposition to the fear told to her 'if she does not take the pill.' But the decision must come from her. Meanwhile, give her all your loving support, grace and strength as an accountability partner towards the path of drug-free healing. It's not going to be easy.

Would you and your sister be able to help your cousin find a counselor who is free from 'conventionality' and political correctness? Have you heard of Dr. David W. Tanton ? It's worth the try to look for answers and a way about something you judge in your mind that is not quite right, don't you think?

I wish you peace and wisdom. And healing for your cousin.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I just read up on Dr. Tanton. He has some very informative and interesting things to say about the human body. Firstly I want to thank you for sending me the link to his website, it was honestly enlightening and a pleasure to read!

About my cousin, I do love her very much. We grew up together as children and it's painful to see her being so dependent on medicines to function in her day to day living. She used to be a vivacious and fun loving child. I guess, like everyone here advised, I will first have an upfront conversation with her. Maybe if I let her know that I'm with her no matter what, she will feel less anxious and threatened.

This probably means she is on other prescribed pills too, besides Nitrosun. I know she has been suffering from depression, anxiety relief might be a part of her therapy process. So you're saying it would be fatal to cut out her medicine abruptly? This makes things more complicated then. Maybe I should talk to her doctor directly then instead? Ask him to keep it confidential..
    missbishi and EditorsRHumansToo! like this.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Anti-depressants or any kind of medication for psychic disorders is really dangerous and should not be relied on. It turns you into a walking dead, and makes you even worse than before. One of my friends stated that some pills she was taking made her laugh like a maniac then fall asleep. This is not normal at all. Tell her parents, and save her before it's too late.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe try to convince her to seek medical advice so that she will get help properly. It is not good for her to just rely on the drugs that she might not be really needing anymore and it is just psychological. You can try to convince her that there could be something done about her situation which is better for her.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I wouldn't tell the parents for fear of it back firing. I especially wouldn't do this if I know I couldn't predict how they would treat the cousin when I'm not there to see or hear it. Then there's the anxiety on causing someone you love to worry over you and feeling as though you might be stressing them out. I would encourage the cousin to talk to a doctor on a way to slowly lean off the drugs because who knows what effect the pills are having on the body.
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Did you know that overdosing certain types of antidepressants can lead to heart problems? Apparently, they can block certain ion channels, fact that can lead to seizures and heart failure and other complications.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It could be fatal, yes. Stopping medication such as this can basically send the body into shock, with symptoms such as cardiac arrest or seizures occuring. After three years continued use, a slow taper down is by far the best option. Only problem is that it has to be something she wants. You may well find that she turns to the black market if her regular supply is being reduced and she's not ready to stop.

I'm not even sure if a doctor would be allowed to enter into a conversation with you about her, I know that in my country (UK), it breaches confidentiality regulations. What you can certainly do though is write the doc a letter outlining your concerns.
  13. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I believe, her body will be able to cope with the difficulties of withdraw syndrome when she stops taking the damned drugs. While she's in that process, an accountability partner/s from family members should be there to support and help her through to be strong with and for her through to full revovery. Give her lots of water while flushing and detoxing her body. It's the right thing to do for her mental, physical and emotional state of being towards full healing.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Even when prescribed, antidepressants are not intended for ongoing or indefinite use. Once chemical levels in the brain return to normal, it is then a case of tapering down gradually to ween the patient off the medication without the adverse side effects of stopping suddenly which can potentially be quite dangerous. As someone mentioned above, when misused antidepressants can be fatal.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Sparkster speaks the truth.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I really believe you should tell this issue to her parents. If you do care about her health and welfare a lot, you will do anything just to save her from this horrible medication. She might get mad at you for a little while, but I know in time, she will be able to understand the reason why you have to do such a thing.
  17. sapphire82

sapphire82 Member

I can say that I nearly was addicted to a drug. The drug makes me feel good. Because of that, I always want to take the drug. My mother said that I am somehow addicted to the drug. Of course, I disagreed. It is not true after all. However, I am very cautious now in taking the drug. I just follow what the doctor says about until when wilI I take the drug.
  18. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

In Serbia it is a common thing that people take depression pills. However, you will not hear to many of them saying they have a problem quitting. With daily stress i think it is easier to take those magic pills and just forget about struggle and clear your mind but we all know that that is not a way to handle life. I believe once in a while if you really need to take some pills you should because calming down is essential but for something like depression it is much more complicated. It is not about calming your self it is about your fragile state of mind that can only be settled by the drugs. I had seen people sent to mental hospitals after using the pills for too long. I don't know whether the reason for that but we should try to help people as much as we can in this fight. Because it is just that. As a kid a had a neighbour who was looking very depressed because of his daughters becoming rejected by society. He was to harsh and they turned out very quiet and shy. Too much, i would say and as they grew up he saw that their life is becoming miserable and it is because of him. This depression led him to death as he jumped of the 10th floor of our building. His family wanted to help him but they were too late so that is why i think we shouldn't wait when we see depressed people around us.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

To add to the comment made above, in my time I have known people who thought they could self-medicate with antidepressant pills in order to counteract the adverse affects of going on an ecstasy binge thereby justifying their regular of ecstasy. They just assumed that they could just get some happy pills when the resulting depression kicked in. Suffice to say, some of those people did indeed up in mental hospitals.
  20. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I was on Zoloft for several years. I finally got to the point of slowly weening myself off them. I have been off any medication for about 3 years now. I think they did help when I first was prescribed them, but after a while I felt so dependent on them that I felt I needed to break free. I did, and haven't had any side effects as a result of doing so.