An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to drama

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Damien Lee, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Most of us have come across drama queens at some point in our lives. These folks tend to make a big deal out of the smallest of problems. Sometimes, there may be no problem at all so they will find a way to create one. They seem to enjoy it when others respond to their problem (or non-problem). Perhaps, this gives them a sense of belonging and self-importance. No doubt, this could be high addictive especially to drama queens who have become master manipulators.

Have you come across folks like these and how you have dealt with them?
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have met people like these, some are my friends, some are not. I guess I deal with them accordingly. I have some friends who are certified drama queens. Not to say that I don't love them, sometimes it's just irritating to have them bicker about every 'problem' they have when other people in the world has it worse than them. So yeah, that is exactly what i tell them. Other people have worse and harsher pains than yours, so you better get your act together and get on with your life. I say this because most of the time they're drama problems are about relationships and petty issues.

For those strangers or non friends, I just turn my other cheek. I really cannot put up with their dramas in life especially since I'm not close to them. Though I know they're seeking attention, but somehow, I just cannot be bothered by them. I think problems are part of life. You cannot really cry over every little thing. What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger, in the end.
  3. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Ha ha, yeah, I've met a few drama queens in my day. I can't say that any of my current friends fall into that category - possibly because they annoy me too much to call them friends - but I knew at least two in college. The best I could do was just try to ignore their problems and get on with my work. Ignore 'em and you're tacitly acknowledging that their niggling concerns are ultimately meaningless. Hopefully they'll get the message and leave you alone.

Barring that, I find headphones work fairly well.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've met plenty of people like this before. I believe people can be addicted to drama. I never hang around people like that because there negativity may rub off. People who love drama usually have too much of it to have a productive and happy life. I think it would be better if someone like that would be addicted to positivity.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that some people can make a big issue of small things and sometimes it can be environment and also the association of the friends, or people who enjoy doing that sort of thing and can be negative. It can be interesting to see what sort of people can do to have drama in their life and some think this life is like a movie, and I try and limit my association with them as they can change their moods real quick in most cases. People need to see that trying to cause drama is not productive and instead causes tension and stress, which is not good and need to try and change for the better to be a productive person in society.
  6. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I used to live with my aunt and two cousins, they're both female. They were addicted to drama, they couldn't leave he house without causing some kind of confrontation. They would get into embarrassing arguments with complete strangers over the dumbest things. They were always mad at someone for something, I think it's a very sad way to live.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

There are 2 types of drama queens. One is the type that instigates drama and those who dramatically respond to drama. I loathe the former more since they bother innocent people just to be able to get noticed. I do notice that they get a sense of satisfaction if they are able to pester people, so I think it can be addictive for them to have some sort of power mentally over others.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have known many drama queens in my life. They thrive on drama and they love not only causing it but also being a part of it. They love to play the victim even though they really aren't. They feed into it and try to get other people to feel sorry for them while making innocent people look bad. The ones who were in my life, I am free of them now and live is so much more peaceful. I still see them around on Facebook though with their drama filled posts. Some people will never ever change.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

My boyfriend is sort of a drama queen, he talks about his problems as if he had the biggest problems on earth and as if he was always the victim, which is kind of stressful when we fight...But luckily I'm a pretty relaxed guy and I've learned to find the right words to say my point of view without make him feel bad, and I've learned that I can't change him.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Good for you for figuring it out. Living with a drama queen can be a bit of a challenge and very stressful. Good thing you are more of the relaxed type that is why it works for the two of you!
    anorexorcist likes this.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not encounter someone who have an addiction to drama yet. I think that is different from those people who are fond of watching drama shows or movies. Challenging to be with people who are in a drama mode even on smallest things.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes. A drama Pawn. I would have coined it king, but that would give them too much importance. This kind of behavior seems to be mostly associated with women. I came across a male that was this way, exactly. Maybe you can relate since you seem to understand one so well.
    I say drama pawn because what these people don't realize is that this is what they are a simple pawn within the NWO. It is this self serving I can get a rise out of anyone attitude that screams puppet. Its like the drama pawn doesn't realize how they are just a minor tool in a major role to cause problems for the person that they are seeking a reaction from. They are not the important one. I've had many intelligent people identify me as being drama-free. So for me to witness a man as you say. It is clear to me how much of pawn they are in the bigger game.
    Knowing the difference between right and wrong; acting on it. Doing your best to do what's right. I mean if you see someone dramatizing and you want more; you cause more for your fix. This is wrong. A real King seeks to create peace and harmony. Love and loving another has nothing to do with making them suffer. So, if you are a drama pawn you need to realize you are just being used and it's not the desire to create it that drives you. It is very much outside you....you just have the mind that works in a way that is ideal for chaos, so this is where you are a pawn.
    If someone wronged you, confront them. Challenge them, deal with it. The drama pawn tends to seek under the radar revenge. This is cowardly. If a woman wronged you call her on it to her face. Or plainly state things that are desired. If that is not possible then, because you managed to burn the bridge. Learn the lesson and move on. Be a better person with the next woman that you meet instead of continue to seek that drama in something that is over.
  13. Dasjdas2

Dasjdas2 Member

Man I see so many of these people around here to it makes me sick to my stomach. It use to be that I only hung with men because women was so much of drama queens now men are just as bad. Drama queens will create mess even if they do not have anything to go off of. I have seen these type of people cause drama in relationships without doing much. I think that drama queens are just people who want attention and seek it by any means.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

First, because even drama queens have their fair share of troubles and we're not really in their shoes to judge them, I try to understand and sympathize with them. If they come around and heed my advice, good. However, if the same cycle of drama keeps repeating itself maybe because they just want to rant it out to you regardless of how you feel, then the best option would be to maintain a set distance and just love them from afar until they emotionally grow and manage to return to their non-dramatic selves.
  15. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I have dealt with many drama queens in my life. Many of them were friends of mine at some point. I cannot tolerate people that feed off of drama and create even more. I feel like these kinds of people are toxic and unhealthy to have in your life, especially if you're fighting an addiction. They create unnecessary stress.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I came across a lot of drama queens and kings (if that works) and the best way of dealing with them is to ignore those people, simple as that. Once they start to notice that you don't listen to a lot of their supposed issues they just get out of your life, slowly.
  17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Who can withstand a drama queen? Better yet who can withstand drama on a regular basis? You must be bored out of your mind or something to get to the point where causing pain and trouble is your form of enjoyment.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

You are right. My mother in law is one of those drama queens, but you know what I do no? I completely ignore her when she is starting to start a debate or just wants to start making insidious comments.
  19. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't know if that could be considered an addiction. There are some people that just want attention and will do anything to get it.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That's the best thing you can do. Someone can't argue with you if you're not arguing, the best thing is to keep your mouth shut and don't enable her. She's gonna crave drama elsewhere, so you'll slowly start speaking less with that person (or your mother-in-law, in your case).