An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted To Love

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by sadiemarie, Nov 16, 2014.

1. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

Do you think that it is possible to be addicted to love or relationships? I know that being in a relationship causes a chemical called phenylalanine which improves your mode as well as other chemicals such as dopamine and tyrosine. I use to be addicted to relationships when I was younger. I had a hard time not being in one. Now that I am older I am alright without one but I prefer to be in a relationship. It makes me feel so much better and able to survive. I think it is possible that I am addicted to the chemical that love causes mainly phenylalanine. I suffer from depression and maybe this chemical helps me feel better. I take antidepressants but still feel much better when in a relationship even though I am very strong and independent. I am thinking that it could be a chemical addiction. What are your thoughts on this?
    amethyst likes this.
  2. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

I read about this some time ago. I don't know if there's a proper medical term, but such people were referred to as relationship addicts. They crave for unconditional love and fear being abandoned. Some even go as far as "forcing pregnancy" just to make sure their partners won't leave them.
  3. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I think there are many different types of love that we speak of. The most common is being in love with a person. I have personally seen some people being so in love with a person that they become addicted to it. Some would say this would be an obsession, the most common obsessions that we see every day in our love lives. This on many occasions has proven to be a bad outcome. I think there are lot of different ways that a person could become obsessed. For one a person could be so completely in love with another person to the point of death. And then there are those people that are addicted to love no matter who it is, they just want to be loved above all things. Like so many other things we can use love to cover up our past. Most everyone wants to be loved and some type away. When a person believes that they’re completely loved by another it improves the mood that there are in and gives you peace of mind. I personally don’t believe that being addicted to love is a bad thing. I think it is human nature for one to one to be loved by another .
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think this is some kind of dependency, but I'm not sure if it fits the category of addiction. People are made to need people and relationships. For most people finding someone and getting married is something they desire and need. If you have had broken relationships where someone left you even though you did not want the relationship to end, I can see how that would cause a person to feel desperate to fill that hole in their life. I don't know what your past experiences are, but that is just my personal speculation on the subject.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

As I wrote in past posts, anything can become an addiction. Addictions [to deliver over, give assent] are projections of the relationships humans have with a thing or something, and usually it is caused by the belief(s) that people assume that doing particular activities or consuming a things is beneficial. I believe, a good addiction - in contrast to a bad addiction - is perfectly fine, so long as it is beneficial to a man or woman, but if such a practice proves to do harm, injury, or wrong to the individual or other entities, then it becomes a problem.

If loving a thing or something is not beneficial, then it is bad addiction i.e. when one gives over to something bad, it will only result in bad, whether he or she is aware or ignorant of that thing is bad to their self and others.
  6. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I mean how can you be addicted to love. If that's the kind of love you're addicted to, know very well then it's not love, it's something else, attachment maybe, but not love.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  7. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I think that some people can be addicted to the idea of love and be addicted to being in relationships. Like someone else mentioned, it seems like a dependency issue. I think that some people can find themselves in this category because of the relationships that they have with others such as fathers and mothers. I notice that a lot of my friends who are females and either did not have their fathers in their lives or had bad relationships with them tend to want to find love. They tell me that they just want to be loved and that they want to be in relationships to feel the love of a male. Oftentimes, they end up with the wrong males and they go from one to the next, still looking for love.
    jdroc likes this.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I call these people hopeless romantics. they are always falling in love and when they get hurts the behave irregular and sometimes unstable.

You know I was raised with tough love. I don't have the best advice for this behavior. As my uncles use to say to me, I'm going to say to you. Grow up and grow some b*lls. Get over it and move on. Be a man for once.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is very normal to want to be in a relationship. Each person should be inclined towards togetherness and procreation. I don't think it is a chemical addiction although there is a release of good things when you are with them and withdrawal that occurs when it is over. There is no easy answer to this. I am inclined to think an anti-depressant doesn't really help. It is not a replacement for the love of another person. It is a cloud to dampen. There is no easy answer. Each must find their own way through. Exercise and eating good helps. If you thoroughly expressed yourself and tried with the person you were previously with then just know that there will be someone new that will be a better match for you. Put some faith in this and do your best. You will see that there is someone that suits you much better.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am addicted to the idea of love. Hence, I write lots of stories, essays, rants and poems about love. If we're going to take your word for it, then does that mean my own ideals are no different from "addiction"? Regardless, it's a normal thing to be depressed. I am occasionally depressed but the reason why it hardly gets to me is that I understand where it's coming from. Before the onset of menstruation, women experience hormonal changes. Likewise, men experience chemical reactions in the brain. All these contribute to a certain kind of emotional "addiction." If it's called love, then so be it.
  11. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Yes people can be addicted to love or rather the idea of being in love. These kind of people can't function by themselves, they need to be in relationships to feel good about themselves and to feel they have some sort of a purpose. I think it is more a psychological thing than anything else, those feelings of being needy, clingy and scared of being alone. Depression almost certainly follows when the person doesn't feel loved or doesn't have anybody to call their own. This type of addiction is as bad as any other really especially since it's a psychological one.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think one can get addicted to almost anything such as in relationship or love. Not sure what could be the exact term but most probably, those are people who think they cannot live or survive without a relationship. They might tend to be holding for someone the best they could or doing all they can to just hold on a relationship.
  13. RobertNick

RobertNick Member

I think it is conceivable as it can be contrasted with sex dependence where you invest a ton of time overlook different things, like sex compulsion which can be occurring in the event that it is assuming control over your life. You may have intercourse all the more regularly and overlook obligations furthermore that is all you ponder in your brain and simply need more sex and will be baffled. An individual who get's dependent on sex may have intercourse with anybody viciously to fulfill desire or wish and not ponder the results and being rough off and on again to get sex.
  14. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

True it is addiction .
    Love and relationships addiction is too much in youngesters .
    People's feeling happy in relationships.
    In relationship people lives for each other only they don't think about anyone . All the time they thinking about each other in love.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  15. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

Being addicted to love is a bad way of saying it. Being in love is a more appropriate way of saying it, from my point of view. The most beautiful thing people can do is to love and I don't think we can talk about addictions when it comes to relationships. Addicted to your partner maybe? Maybe you can be very devoted to him/her? That's how I see it anyways.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think this a real thing. I have an aunt that fits the bill of this. I feel like she's been in and out of bad relationships simply because she doesn't want to be alone. And I think this is a scary way to be, in a lot of cases. We all want to be loved -- I would venture to say that is a normal, perfectly acceptable human emotion! But when you're getting into relationships that most other people could see are not good for oneself, then you have to question why someone is doing it, right?
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think it's only natural that you enjoy being in a loving relationship. Most of us are like that. Only some need more personal space while others like to be very close to another person. You can try and define your desire to love and be loved in some scientific manner, but in the end it doesn't change anything. We are who we are. The person next to you, and all the people around you, are lucky to have you. Because you can give freely that which you feel inside yourself. Love comes in all shapes and forms. :)
  18. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

You know, I think that might be a little difficult for sadiemarie! Seriously, though, I get where you are coming from. Some people do place that much importance on being in a relationship that they'll date anything that's breathing or even stay in an abusive relationship because they don't want to be single.

It seems to me like some people define themselves by being in a relationship and have very little sense of what they want or even who they are as individuals.
  19. keekz38

keekz38 Member

I definitely think love can be an addiction. It's even been proven that it causes similar effects in your brain as some recreational drugs do. Being in love is an amazing feeling (the high) but it also can cause pain. Some people get into relationships which are unhealthy for them but they just keep going back because they're trying to relive that high they once had with the person who is now hurting them.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In young people, as they are still going through the stages of teenage hood and also going through emotions and may think it is love but what they experience is desire to be with the person and just enjoy being together and not serious. It is alright to be in love with someone but being obsessed or trying to be with someone who has no desires for you can lead to being hurt and also a broken heart as well. Some people, don't see the negative side of being in a realationship with someone who is not really into them just wants closeness not real love which is sad to see sometimes.