An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted To Love

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by sadiemarie, Nov 16, 2014.

1. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

Before he passed away in 2003, Robert Palmer was (and still is) known for his song "Addicted to Love" since the 80's. You can be addicted to love, love from a specific person, love in a certain way, or the need for it irrespective of the source. When I was younger, I would watch a woman get out of one relationship with a guy and then try a list of guys to see which one she would "be with" next.

It was both sad and interesting at the same time that individuals would be such commodity items in that way. When a girl would tell me she found me attractive (but not look my way when she was with another man), I would ask her what changed. Of course, I would be told something lame like: "I just realized I love you and am attracted to you, but it took them cheating on me with that other girl over there they're now with for me to realize it". Uh huh. Sure lady. For a few of them, I really had to wonder, though.

So I would always ask: "Do you love or want to love me, or do you love the way that I make you feel?" They usually couldn't figure out the question to see that everything I needed to know of their legitimacy was contained in it. If they couldn't answer it with a reason as to why they loved me or wanted to know me to love me, then they were defaulting to the commonality of wanting to be in the state of companionship and call that love, to where they could have that from anyone and have what they wanted to "feel", without loving or being loyal to the subject or object of that love at all, and thus easily replacing that person in the future since their value was only perceivable by feeling.

It's entirely possible to be addicted to certain qualities of an individual that are irreplaceable to you that you need, but more common that people who are "addicted to love" are addicted to the feeling that being with someone brings them more than the quality of the person or intimacy and individuality of that person as it should be.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I believe addiction to love is possible, specially in people who have a dependency problem, just like I do (It was much worse in the past, because I often stayed in bad relationships even if I knew the guy was a total jerk). So yes, you can be addicted to love, to the thrill of meeting someone new and so on.
    endoftherainbow likes this.
  3. hg088

hg088 Member

I don't think wanting to be someone is an addiction and if it is, a lot of people suffer it. Love is a beautiful thing and it can be hard to be without it sometimes, and naturally it can be little harder for some people.
    Me on the other hand, i havent been in a relationship in a couple of years and i couldn't be happier. On the other hand my best friend can't spend 3 months without having a girlfriend and hes not an addict, hes just happier if he's with someone.