An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Marijuana but Sort of OK with That

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tomservo, Jan 29, 2016.

1. tomservo

tomservo Member

So, the other day – after many, many days without smoking – I realized I'm basically addicted to marijuana. I was so irritable and depressed after about a week of not smoking, then I went out and bought a joint. Five minutes later, I felt like a new person. If that's not addiction, I don't know what is...

However, that being said, maybe it's not addiction, per se, maybe it's indicative of medication. It's not that I can't function without it, it's just that I am very miserable and unpleasant without it. So maybe the cannabis is medicating underlying psychological and emotional problems I have.

But in all seriousness, I have a weed habit that is costing me about $3 to $5 a day while drastically improving my mood and my life. Is this really a problem?
  2. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Believe me there is a problem. You say you are spending $3-$5 every day for weed, however, in a month you will be spending around $100, at the end of the year, you will be spending around $1200, which is a big money considering the fact that you will harm your body.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I once had a car that leaked oil, very tiny hole in the oil pan.
    I didn't care, I just added a little oil every week. Wasn't really a problem. Why spend time and money fixing it.
    Well the hole got bigger. I had to add more oil every week. Plus I am driving around dumping toxic oil all over the roads. After a year I lost so much oil one day my engine sized up, had to get a new car.
    See your underlying problems are like my oil leak. Your smoking pot was like my just adding a little oil every week.

Oh sure it's not a problem and it's not a big deal. Until it is.
    I wish I could fly back to the past and tell myself "hey just get it fixed!"
    Do you ever think that future tomservo will wish you went and got help and dealt with the real underlying problems instead of using joints as band-aids?
    I think that's the real question that needs to be asked.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. LaFantoma

LaFantoma Member

I'm sure it's not wrecking your life if you have no trouble quitting for a week, but you've mentioned some of the calling cards of addiction, so I'd say you're addicted. At first, self-medication seems like it's a more legitimate purpose than recreation, but we're not doctors and marijuana isn't usually prescribed for mental health issues (unless I'm mistaken). If you really think you have an underlying mental health problem, you should get diagnosed if that's at all possible. Otherwise, you're getting high because it makes you "feel normal," which is something addicts generally say.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that it considered as an addiction already cause you think that you are a different better person when using it. The being irritated because of not using can be a withdrawal symptom. Agree that it might not be a problem for now but it most probably be if you think that you cannot live without it anymore.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

In terms of cost it's about the same as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day if not cheaper. The thing you have to remember is the long term effects it will have. but it does sound as if you had withdrawal symptoms. Don't forget it doesn't matter what people say about weed it is addictive.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

All addictions are a problem. Why? Because your body and mind depend on something that you just need to have or else you'll feel miserable without it. That's the problem. And depending the substance and the level of addiction, no one can tell what you'll be willing to do to get it, and what will be the consequences of your actions. That's what the ancient Greeks meant when they said, "Nothing in excess."
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, it may not be considered as an addiction yet, but sooner or later, you will find yourself becoming way too dependent on weed, and this simple habit could eventually turn to a dangerous addiction. As soon as possible, stop taking it already. Just try to find other ways to cope with your depression.
  9. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Don't label this as an addiction. You may need to see if you can go 30 days without it. I would not speak into existence a substance abuse problem if it's not one. Is there something else happening in your life that may have caused you to become depressed. Sometimes just changing our daily habits will help us in the long run.
  10. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

If you are worried about it, it is worth looking into. Nancy's idea of trying 30 days without it is a good one, you will surely learn something about yourself and your relationship with marijuana if you try this. The part that worries me in your post is where you talk of underlying problems. If you think there are more serious psychological issues, it would be very worth it to seek other solutions to these whether medical, counseling, or some other stress management techniques.
  11. honestly, I think that it is a problem. Like many people above have mentioned, it will most likely only get worse. Soon you'll find yourself to be needing more to make you feel the same because you become used to it.
    There is the possibility that the weed is sort of covering up something like depression, but it sounds more like an addiction. It would be a smart choice to see if you can slowly ween yourself off of it until you don't feel the need to smoke anymore.
    Hope everything works out for you!
  12. melody

melody Active Contributor

If they legalize it in your state you should for patient status. Otherwise, it is illegal and can cause you more problems than you want. You may be right, the fact that it works could be a warning sign that there is something that you need to have diagnosed by a doctor. Couldn't hurt to go to a doctor and talk to them about feeling so much anxiety.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

Consider saving the money you use to buy marijuana. Unless you stop smoking it then it will affect your health in future. Do you work and if so, do you usually smoke before going to work? Try and talk to your family members and they can help you out of your addiction. Marijuana has no benefit to one's life and can make you to be lazy.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's too early to say something's wrong. You seem to be all right for the most part. Perhaps if you keep your consumption to that level. Question is... for how long can you keep that situation up? I do hope you're a lot stronger than you let on. If you see your marijuana consumption and expenses increasing every month, then have enough will and motivation to stop before things take a turn for the worse. Best of luck!
  15. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

Hey don't feel too bad because I was smoking a gram to myself everyday plus I had a tendancy to give away my weed and smoke with other people A LOT. I would say I was spending upwards of 3 grand a year. Now that is an addiction. I do not know to this day how I was able to quit but I just did it. I realized that I didn't need it medically and that I could get on that same vibration by just meditating and listening to music.
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Yes, this is the recommended amount of time to see if you have an addiction. It's not to say that you might not but if after 30 days you don't feel like having marijuana then you can say that you kicked it completely.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Perhaps you can go to a doctor and ask for their opinion on your condition. And if they see that there is a problem, maybe, they can prescribe you the right dosage of marijuana that you can use. By using the right amount prescribed, you will have control of it thus may prevent your habit to becoming a full-blown addiction.
  18. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

If you are going to smoke with friends while at a party once in a month, that is ok, but not when it is addiction. You will start having problems if you do not smoke a joint each day. Addiction can never be said to be ok especially when it involves using drugs. Just make sure that you can stay in control of your joint smoking habits.