An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to medical marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tabtabsss88, Nov 30, 2014.

1. tabtabsss88

tabtabsss88 Member

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000226

I have read both sides on whether it helps or worsens symptoms of anxiety and depression. I have first hand experience with a family member of it helping but also of one having the opposite effect.

I would imagine that it all depends on each individual person. There are also different strains in thc that help different ailments. But I wonder, if one can be addicted to pain killers and trick themselves so strongly into believing they are still in pain..can one do the same with medical marijuana?
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

What exactly do you mean by this? Addicts don't need to trick themselves into believing that they're still in pain, they just have to trick the doctors into believing that.
    tabtabsss88 likes this.
  3. tabtabsss88

tabtabsss88 Member

Very true, I guess what I mean is can someone be psychologically or physically addicted to medical marijuana as oppose to "traditional"
  4. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Well marijuana causes more of a psychological addiction than a physical one but if it is truly relieving pain than it may be possible to develop a physical addiction as well. Personally I can no longer smoke marijuana because it makes my heart beat fast and I feel nauseous but I know for some it has a completely calming effect. I could be wrong but I believe that the indica strain is the more relaxing one.
  5. MissManda

MissManda Member

Marijuana has different effects on different types of people, since everyone is unique it cannot be determined how marijuana, which has many, many different strains is going to affect each person who uses it. My significant other has a medicinal license for use for anxiety and social-phobia, and even for him it depends on the types of strains that he gets, some strains have made his condition worse and others have helped immensely to the point where he feels he is a normal functioning member of society.
    If a medical marijuana user has a good honest relationship with their doctor, I don't see how the use of the drug can be abused. My SO meets with his doc on a regular basis and has even told his doc to decrease his dosage as it was becoming too much for him.
    Some people abuse the system sure, but keep in mind, not everyone is out there to just get med pot to get high.
  6. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I think medical marijuana is a lot like any potentially addictive medication. There's the potential to help and the potential to misuse it. From what I've seen of marijuana users, if they're not drinking alcohol or using other drugs in addition to the pot, it does far less harm than many other things. I'm not in a medical marijuana state but my usual pain clinic doctors have suggested that if I move to one, I would probably be able to reduce my narcotic meds and replace them with something less addictive and with fewer side effects (pot, in their opinion being less addictive and harmful). I can't move right now and don't want to trade one addiction for another.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I guess it could happen. If you end up liking how it makes you feel and you have to have it all the time, I guess you could get addicted to it. Even if the prescription is over I can see that happening.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I used to smoke it when I was much younger and it had a calming effect on me. One day I just woke up and decided that I was not going to smoke it any longer and I never did again. I always heard that marijuana was a non addictive drug, so maybe that was why I was able to quit with such ease.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

I believe it is absolutely possible to become addicted to medical marijuana as much as any other pain killer. It might be even easier to become addicted because of the type of drug it is. It can calm and mellow you out, so you are just in a different state of being and that state may be attractive to some even if the pain is gone. An illness can cause many other stressful effects and marijuana tends to take those stressors away temporarily as well.