An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Melatonin?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Kappys, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Kappys

Kappys Member

I understand melatonin is a substance produced by your body, but i love to take it and just doze off whenever i want. I never use it in moderation and have started to see the effects of it in my health. Any ideas/Substitutes?
  2. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Melatonin is not really addictive nor do you develop a tolerance for it in the same way you would with an addictive substance. Moreover, it is not something you are prescribed but can find over the counter. You can even find it in the grocery section in certain foods! An example of this is cherries.

If you do see negative effects then maybe you should try a different brand. You can also find some sleep inducing tea. Celestial Seasonings as a couple products, and I find them effective. They will help put me to sleep within an hour of drinking it. The only downfall is waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom from drinking tea :(
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Melatonin is a hormone. What country are you in? My father is diabetic and has been prescribed Melatonin. He has to take it for the rest of his life. Low Melatonin levels can increase the risk of developing type-2 Diabetes.
  4. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I am from the US. Melatonin has been recommended to me by doctors, however, it has never needed to be prescribed. I find it in the section of supplements and vitamins in any drug/supermarket store as well as shops specialized in supplements.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You can basically buy melatonin in drug stores and, in some cases, convenience stores. What makes it addictive to some people is its fast-acting effects. It shuts off your system without a moment's notice and lets you sleep for hours on end like a total log. People want to sleep that way all the time, but apparently it's not a natural way to sleep. The melatonin you see at drug stores are synthetic hormones that mimic the natural one. The effects are forced, so constant use will eventually take a toll on your body. If you want something more natural, then you might consider the following: Valerian, Chamomile, meditation, apple juice, lemon balm and cherries (good source of melatonin).
  6. Sparkster

Yea, I don't think relying on Melatonin would be too beneficial in the long run. I don't really have major problems sleeping anyway myself, so I don't need anything like this personally, but I still wouldn't recommend it. I think meditation is the best suggestion you made. I also tend to use hypnotic relaxation techniques.
  7. Coltodor

Coltodor Member

Melatonin is a supplement of something that is naturally occurring in the body. It is definitely more safer than a lot of other prescription sleep medicines. It isn't dangerous but if you feel like you have a negative experiance then you should try other natural alternatives.
  8. Sparkster

Just because something occurs naturally in the body that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. There are many substances that occur naturally in the body that can be fatal. From what I've read, Melatonin is only suitable for short-term use unless absolutely necessary. It can also cause abdominal discomfort, mild anxiety, irritability, confusion and short-lasting feelings of depression in some cases, although not that common. It can also adversely react with certain medications. The National Institute on Aging have also claimed that it can constrict blood vessels which could prove to be dangerous for people who have high blood pressure.
  9. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I've had similar effects with taking very high dosages of melatonin. I would usually take five to six times the recommended dosages and, sometimes, I wouldn't sleep.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This is what baffles me all the time. Why do people resort to synthetic medicine? Unlike natural medicine, manufactured medicine has unwanted side effects that may destroy your system if used excessively. If the problem is just insomnia, then it wouldn't hurt to go herbal.
  11. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Melatonin itself is very difficult to become addicted to, and the results of using the substance depend upon the time of day and how your body specifically reacts to it. If someone does find themselves dealing with negative side effects, then they'll want to stop taking it immediately. It could be a poor brand, or a pill that contains other ingredients that aren't as safe as melatonin.
  12. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Or just taking too much messes with your circadian rhythm.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is a addictive drug, and can make a person sleep real long and could even oversleep which can give the person the wrong idea and the mind can play tricks as well. Sometimes I guess it can be due to, peers doing it and also thinking it is alright and normal to have. It can be addicting if a person has easy access to this drug, and have seen some people, get really addicted to this drug.