An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to movies/shows?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by FuZyOn, May 10, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Can this be considered bad? I have a friend who is very scared of becoming something she doesn't want to just because he looks up to a lot of movie characters.
    I really don't think it's a bad thing, and I want to reason with her. I don't know how to approach the subject though.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean. But I can tell you that it's my experience that if there's a subject that needs to be approached, the best way is to just come out and say it. A lot of times you will catch somebody off guard, but they usually appreciate it.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean either. So you have a friend who watches a lot of movies and she is worried that she is going to turn into one of the characters - a "baddie" even. This does sound like a slight over reaction so I can't say I blame you for wanting to try and reassure her.
  4. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I also don't think I'm following what you mean but I do agree, if there is something that you feel should be discussed then it is probably best that you do.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think addiction to any particular thing is more or less interchangeable with any other thing which is why I believe it is the underlying problem that should be more addressed and looked into because it is a lot more of a common denominator. In my opinion it really isn't the movies that is the problem here but more so the current psychological state this person is in and if the roots of it can be traced and dealt with then you could attack the problem more offensively instead of having to be defensive about every little thing that could possibly prove to be addictive.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry that the post was vague, I wasn't completely sure how to transcribe my thoughts properly.

Thanks for your advice, people!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

What you have described doesn't seem like an addiction, but rather an obsessive compulsive personality or some sort of paranoia. It is deffinitely odd if yor friends fear is getting in the way of daily life and worth trying to help her.
  8. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

In fact this is a really good problem you brought up, I remember that while I was watching House, my personality and vision of life got a little bit like House's, after that, I felt like I've had a hole inside and started another TV Show "Suits" where I also had some sort of personality degeneration because I was started to behave more like Harvey, the main character from this TV Show. I think she shouldn't be worried, because after you finish the series it's up to you how much of that personality will stay with you and how much it shall go. I think that this in fact helps you to find yourself.
  9. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Well, as some others have said, it doesn't sound like an addiction yet, more like an obsession of sorts. That can be problematic as well, and could evolve into an addiction. I feel that the best option right now is to have a conversation with your friend, and figure out was is specifically ailing her.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, as being said, addiction to anything can be bad. Watching too much movies or shows could mean that you are having an inactive lifestyle. That could cause several health issues just like obesity and illnesses. Better to just watch in moderation and do not take it seriously.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You mean she might become too immersed if she watched a lot of tv shows? I get that. I think she should curb that habit a bit if she is prone to mistake fantasy for reality.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's not as bad as substance addiction but her behavior and outlook in life will end up warped if she keeps at it. It's good that you're willing to intervene and help her out of it, but be careful with your approach. Try to see what method will work. Be gentle too. Your friend may have some deep-seated issues going on and she just doesn't want to admit it.
  13. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I don't think it's ever a good thing if one spends an obscene amount of time on one thing. This creates an imbalanced person that will eventually have trouble associating with the rest of the world. I think your friend already associates real life with the experiences of these movie characters, who's lives are fictional. He needs to spend less time watching movies, and more time living his life.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well there are definitely worse things to be addicted too. I would put movies pretty far down on the list, but too much of anything probably isn't good, and I think it should be our goal to have as balanced a life is possible. Excessive time passively spent staring at the screen, probably isnt in her best interest.
  15. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I didn't realize how addictive a person i am until i joined this forum. I am addicted on movies and TV shows. I really try not to watch too many and i try to occupy myself by doing something else but in the end i just say, ok i will eatch just one more and this one and when i look at the time i realize it is morning. This is a problem when you work in the same morning. I don't understand what is so addictive but when i like the show, usually the shows are the problem because they last and last, so when i like one, i can't stop until it is finished and immediately when that happens i search another. Usually i watch several so i do not need to search, but now i watch only Continuum, The Flash, South Park, Limitless and well that is all, if you omit i am waiting new season of Mr Robot, Orphan Black, Dearedevil.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah well you kind of have to look at things like this with an objective eye. Its all brainwashing. The television and film basically is something that influences people. What they are thinking is the idea of it. Its all designed to make you think one way or another. You have to think for yourself.
    I mean I will give you an example. Lets say you see an iPhone commercial. A friend the next day says I'm thinking about getting an iPhone. Someone else says it. Someone else gets it. Someone on your tv show is using one. It goes like this. What are you being made to think? Get an iPhone. Next thing you know you want one.
    I think by far the most disgusting message across the board in television and film is about divorce. They manufacture and encourage it. People fall for it. They listen to the tv shows, the films, soap operas, magazines all jabber on about it. Its the same thing as the iPhone but different. Get it? Its just a mass brainwashing to think that this is the way, this is what you should do. Think like this act like this. Demoralization of the country. Change it like your underwear.
    If your friend feels this way. I am not surprised. The best thing to do is stop watching it if it bothers them.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You can reason with your friend. It's really about finding your own path in life, we can't follow directly behind every ones footsteps. The best approach is to have the conversation as a friend, not as telling someone what to do. You can always state your opinion, friends are people you should be able to talk to. No one can live another persons life we all have to find our own way.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It can be bad for her eyes. Looking at a screen can severely damage one's sight and cause premature seeing problems. Addiction is always a bad thing, no matter how "normal" it may seem. As long as it interferes with her daily routine, it is not healthy. I'd say let her try to quit it. It's also good that she realized that something's wrong.
  19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I was addicted to a paranormal-related cable channel, to the extent that this was the sole channel I watched night and day, even if the show were repeated over and over.

Can you believe I still miss it?

Yet, addiction to TV shows, movies, channel, or radio stations should not be wrong as long as once out of your life, such absence it not affecting you in a wrong way, like suffering from anxiety, depression or other symptoms associated to substance addiction.

Feeling sorry for not seeing those shows again, is fine as long as this is not an obsession.
  20. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I do know that people can become addicted to TV programs and movies. These can take up so much of their time that they neglect their families, jobs or work. People can become addicted to almost anything. Most addictions have negative affects for all concerned.