An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to my smart phone

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by TripleD123, May 12, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I hear people talk about being addicted to their phones as a joke but I honestly think I am addicted to it. The moment I wake up in the morning and turn off my alarm (on my phone) I instantly start cruising Facebook, Instagram, my email, news feeds, etc. Throughout the day I am on the computer but constantly check my Facebook and email accounts. When I am home if my phone isn't right near me I sort of get anxiety. I might miss a call. I used to love to read before bed, but now I just play with my phone. I feel like I have sort of lost myself. But I need my phone for work, for family, for life. We don't have a landline so I feel like the phone must always be on, ringer up, and near me.

What should I do? I put it down, tell myself to do something else, but instantly feel like I am missing something and that I should look at the stupid thing over and over. Help!
    amethyst likes this.
  2. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Personally, I have the same problem as you. Even though it might be not a major addiction problem (like drugs or alcohol), its quite annoying when I myself notice how much I need my phone.

Its like a part of me which I can't let go of. Sometimes I even reopen a website just seconds after closing it to see if there is a new post. I feel anxious all the time. Thank heavens I am not the only one, I thought I was going mad.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  3. TripleD123

Ugh! I am so glad I am not the only one feeling this way. The anxiety makes me so mad. The thought that I am missing out on something is literally driving me crazy. I have to practically force myself to put the phone down and focus on other things sometimes. I have also closed a website or application only to open it again seconds later. ??? I don't even understand why I do it. I read somewhere that Facebook can also cause serious depression in people because you see everyone posting their perfect lives, doing fun things, and then you feel like your life is horrible because you aren't doing as wonderful of things as the people in your newsfeed. Sometimes I do feel this way and it is so true. I watch friends who go on vacation and take their kids to do everything and I get down on myself for not being awesome enough. I really need to unplug.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's not really the smartphone you're addicted to but the benefits and perks that the gadget has afforded you with. Perhaps you're afraid you won't be able to read important messages the moment you part with it. Or perhaps, somewhere in your subconscious, you think it would be a waste to squander away an expensive investment. Still, I don't think it's that bad. You just have to adopt a calmer attitude so that you can stop being too dependent on your phone.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I do believe you can become addicted to your phone because it provides you with so much. I use mine to phone, calculate, store shopping lists, books, music, internet, clock, weather, TV schedules, Bible, message, email, chat, banking, online shopping, research, typing and curl up and watch a videos. One has to remember that it is just another very useful item and not a part of your body, so put it down for a while! I use mine a lot, but I put it down a lot too.
  6. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I use my phone a lot myself, however I am able to put it down and do other things. I use my phone for Facebook, sometimes for reading and small games. I use more computer more, since I work from home and I use it for gaming, however I am also able to get away from those things by sewing sometimes. There is a lot you can do on phones/computers which has made a lot of things easier to do.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have the exact same obsession, mainly because I depend on my phone and internet for my work. The first thing I usually do as soon as I open my eyes, is to reach for the phone. I am now working on ways and means to overcome this compulsive behavior by turning the phone off at night and putting it into a different room in the house. I make a big effort to prepare and eat my breakfast in peace before I go and switch on the phone, no matter how strong my urge is to do it as soon as I am on my feet. Slowly, it's beginning to work. Retraining your mind is the key. Slowly, gradually. Since I am doing it, I am starting to feel more relaxed. I even find time to read books again.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  8. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I find lately I am the same way, I'm constantly on my phone. Its horrible how bad it has gotten, its so bad that even at night when I roll over I figure I might as well look at while I'm awake.
  9. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

That totally sounds like me. I guess I'm an addict as well. From one addict to the next, I rationalize this by telling myself that I won't be able to do all the numerous things I do in a day without using my smartphone.
  10. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

This is gadget dependence. Because, it keeps you engaged so much, you feel empty without it. You should realize that there is life beyond your smartphone and it is too wonderful to be missed out on. To reduce the usage, you should draw up a schedule and make yourself more productive and search for satisfaction in other productive work. This way, you can overcome the addiction.
  11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Actually all of you suffering from this addiction aren't alone. This is a common addiction all over the world and has caused lethal accidents.

Did someone watched on the news the girl who was killed by a car for crossing the street pending of the phone rather than of traffic?

In addition, since years ago researchers have found that sleeping with cell phones next to us, alter the brain waves and may have an unsuspected outcome overtime.

But problem is, how to get rid of it. I have not heard of any cure other than talk to your therapist so he or she can find a solution hand in hand with you to handle anxiety. Once anxiety is under control, it won't be that hard quit this addiction, or at least should not be.
  12. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

Why not try to give someone you trust your phone for the day. Ask him/her to keep it for you so that you may try to live without it. My mom did it to me one time because I am constatly on my phone, sometimes rarely talking to anyone at all. So she decided to keep it, even though she knows how vital it is, she still kept it for two weeks. Since then, I have learned that sometimes I don't need to be in my phone all the time. When someone contacts me, they either message me on facebook (which si hard because I don't have my laptop all the time) or tell me personally. Now I make more time to talking to others and have more friends than before. Why don't you try it, it actually helps, somehow. Or just try not to have a phone for a day. One step at a time.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Technology addiction can be really bad, especially since this is a common issue among all the people nowadays.
    A good option would be to try and get rid of your phone in one way or another. At first it will be hard to get away from it but in time you'll get used to using it less and less.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

You need to find something else to keep you busy. You can not earn a living just by browsing. If your day is busy then you will have little in the evening to check out your accounts. Or find a way that can make you earn online. You can be a blogger and make money online. Or if you like to write then find sites that you can be given some work and get paid. You can also promote products on Facebook and get paid after the products are bought. Get referral links and post them in your Facebook account.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think there are increasing number of people who got addicted to their phones or gadgets because of many reasons. Such as getting addicted to social networking sites and online games.
    Try to go on a nature trip or any trip without your phone or in a place where there is no signal. :D
  16. TripleD123

I am so glad to hear from so many that I am not alone in my crazy feelings. I do realize I need to put it down and I do. We recently went on a day trip to a place with no reception so I didn't even look at my phone once than to take a picture of my children. It was nice to not have the nagging sensation for a moment. I do think it did help to not have any choice but to not look at it due to no signal or wifi, but whatever works, right?
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Just try and ignore your obsession for a while and find something to replace it until you get used to not having it enough. Whenever I am addicted to something and want to get off it, I usually just bite the bullet and find a suitable replacement to help distract me for a while and after some time I would have already shifted my attention and routine onto something else.
  18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Me personally I am starting to get addicted to my cell phone not during the day, but at night. Its been affecting my sleeping hours as well. At least its for a good cause though.
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can be easy to be addicted to the Smart Phone as we feel the need to use it or check messages on the phone and this can take time and need to be aware of the time. It is interesting to see how people can spend time on the phone and checking emails can be important sometimes as, we could have some messages which are important for us. We need to try and do something productive at times, otherwise we will be wasting our time when we could of done something productive with our time
  20. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This is a very common problem that you're experiencing. Way too many people are addicted to their smart phones and the various social media platforms that are accessible. You should only use social media if you're truly getting value from it. Otherwise, just close your accounts and don't go back to them. Put your smart phone in a drawer, lock that drawer and go place the key in a place that is hard to reach. Then go keep yourself occupied with something that will improve your health, spirituality and/or material well-being.