An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to my smart phone

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by TripleD123, May 12, 2015.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

When I got addicted to my smart phone, I also got addicted to certain apps. It is especially bad because I cannot go on for a day without looking at my Facebook newsfeed or through my instagram account. The best advice I could give you is to spend your time in the internet on more lucrative things. Is writing a good idea to you? Why not create a blog that can be an outlet for your emotions. There are lots of useful things to do on the internet and your smartphone rather than just using social media apps.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Now that's what I call an addiction. Getting anxiety just because their phone is not with them is not normal. I am glued to my phone the whole day, but when I don't have an internet connection on my phone then I don't get anxious at all. I think you have developed a dependent attitude with regards to using a phone. It would help to get that thing away from you from time to time to wean you away from it.
  3. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Today we are in a world with the continuous existence of new modern technologies and gadgets. Like the smartphone it is widely used by both the young and old people nowadays. For reasons that we can easily get access to all the things we want to know by just using the different apps of this gadget. I must admit me too that my phone is always near me. I always used my smartphone everyday because there are things that I need to search in this kind of gadget and for communication purposes too. But I know my limits and if I do not need to use it I just leave it far away from me..
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Make yourself a habit to check your phone once an hour, and respect it. This will help you get used to not touching your phone for a longer period of time. Also, try and put your phone away, or keep it in another room when you're eating, reading, or doing anything that requires attention. Picking up new hobbies also helps, as it takes your mind off addiction. Good luck!
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I suppose it's the fear of missing out on something that keeps people glued to their phones. It's like an entire social life in your pocket. I'm not too keen on social media myself, it causes just as much harm as it does good, so only really check my accounts a few times a week.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's something that is going to take a lot of will power. Find something that will occupy your time instead of always checking your phone. Put your mind elsewhere.
  7. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Give your phone to a friend or family member for a day, have them hold it and not give it to you. See if you can break the addiction that way. I have a friend who sort of has a similar problem...he's addicted to texting people. It's really a hard addiction to break, and its as harmful as drugs and alchohol. You've got to take some steps to stop it.