An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Neatness (OCD)

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Ali16, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

People can even be addicted to good things. My mom is addicted to neatness and cleaning,mot the point it comes before her health and family. Rather than pay attention to me as I was growing up, she had to clean. If I left a toy out - I'd be screamed at and terrorized for hours. At one point, a chronic disease she has came out of remission. She ended up in the hospital multiple times because she chose to clean all day rather than rest like she was supposed to.
    Even a good thing like keeping the house clean can become an obsession that ruins someone's life and family.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I remember seeing it on TV about a woman having an addiction to cleanness. She was on some talk show and before she sat down, she had to use lysol wipes and clean the chair handles before sitting. It must be very hard always wanting to clean but can't help it. Then again you might become even more paranoid when you realize that every breath you take includes millions of bacteria, floating in the air. How do you filter the air you breath from air born bacteria? You cant.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I remember a story about Howard Hugh who was a inventor of planes and was obsessed with cleaning all the time which was getting to his mind, and would clean everything if someone else touched it. It is sad when someone decided to be obsessed with cleaning and also it can take a lot of help to get treatment for the person, and can take a person's time as well. I think that sometimes the person can be going through a trauma or suffering from something and also, think that this is the way to cope with it which can isolate them from others in most cases.
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

OCD is really a bad thing, my father also suffers from obsessive behavior too, even though he doesn't know it.
    You should get her some professional help. There are therapies out there as well as medications.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I guess we all have some type of OCD, even if it's not as bad a sthe actual condition. I, for example, am obsessed with closing doors. I can't be relaxed or calm if I know there is a door open somewhere in my house. This is not so severe as your mother's issue, though. I am sorry for her and for you. At least you don't have these problems anymore.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My daughter has OCD really bad. Her house is so neat and clean. I went in one day to drop off my grand daughter. I normally take off my shoes before going in but I was in a hurry so I just stepped in the door and dropped off her bangs. She lost it! I didn't stick around. She said that people wearing shoes in her place really upsets her. I could see that. I rarely go visit because I am so nervous about doing something out of place. Not a fun feeling!
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I think it is not bad to be organize and to be clean in our house but not to the point that we will get too exhausted and tired after doing it. I must admit that I am a person who also likes to clean our house if I have the free time because I always hate seeing dirty and messy things inside the house. But I know my limits when it comes to that and I do say in a nice way to other members of the family that they should cooperate of not being too messy in their things so that our house will be always organize and neat. But I know we cannot avoid it all the time and we should not make a cleaning habit an obsession.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Again, anything in excess can be bad. I think I have OCD back when my baby was just little. I used to wipe all doorknobs and even floors with alcohol. I can't make him wear his clothes without ironing them first. During those first few months, I am really exhausted, taking care of a baby and getting through that neat freak in me. My husband told me though that he needs germs to build his immunity. So then I started getting relaxed about being super clean around him.

I think neatness is a good attitude. I would rather have an overly neat house than an overly dirty one. But sometimes, being overly OCD about cleaning can really make you feel tense and upset all the time. When I became more relaxed, I enjoy my time with my son and really don't worry much about all the mess around the house.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I had some OCD tendencies earlier on in my life. It really made life difficult at times. My therapist helped me get over it. I'm so much happier now.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is really a serious addiction. Any time something comes before your health it has to be put to the side. Being clean and neat is great but it doesn't come before everything. I knew someone who used to clean like crazy, but I don't think it had an effect on there health. I hope your mom is doing better.
  11. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I wish I could say she's doing better, but if she's not being OCD about cleaning and neatness, she's worrying about something else. She also obsesses about food and money. Mainly her obsession with food revolves around what I eat or will eat. I live with her right now so it's an every day issue. It's led to me having an eating disorder brought on by the amount of anxiety she's caused me.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

All things, when done excessively can be harmful, even cleaning, that's why it's important to do things in moderation. Our health should be our number one priority. What good is a clean house if you're very weak from exhaustion, right? You will be too exhausted to even appreciate it.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not met a person with that condition yet but I am aware of such addiction. I have watched something about that before and I think a professional help will be really needed. Being too clean is not good as it could hinder a person to do things like enjoying the outdoor.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Interesting I have never really thought about being a neat freak as negative, it's like the opposite of hording.
    But it certainly sounds like it's not healthy.
    nikki likes this.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sounds a little extreme. Yeah enforcing it on others in a bad way doesn't makes sense. But really we have to learn to love it all. The mess, the organization, the mix of the two. Whatever it is. Love the mess just as much as the organization it's all the same. The difference is one certainly feels better and is easier to find things. Isn't it funny when people say don't touch the mess I know where everything is. Lol. They do sort of but they won't find anything very quickly. Keeping up on organization just has to become a habit I guess.
    OCD. Not a very complex thing really. What causes it is not really what we are made to think it is. An induced abnormality that is clearly annoying to other people but tormenting to the victim of it. "Matchstick Men" shows it in a funny way. The doctor gives Nicolas Cage a female hormonal pill and makes him think it is some wonder drug. He takes it and it helps him. He accidentally drops it down the drain and goes back for more. The doctor tells him what it really is to point out to him that he doesn't need it. It's hilarious. He is over the top OCD. Can't even stand a small piece of lint on his living room rug or a spot on his glass doors.
    Is it OCD or cleanliness? Are those that judge slobs or just looking for a flaw in another person? They could make a disorder out of that. People who continually look for flaws in other people. They stand with their arms folded looking at every detail of you like you are up for inspection. Lol. I mean which is worse. Being a messy disaster or the inability to take a look at yourself before another? It's always people who have the most flaws that continually point their finger at others. Who cares about OCD really? These people are admirable compared to those who never seem to take notice to what they could do to better themselves. Life is not short. It's long and drawn out. Enjoy it.
  16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear about you mom's addiction, but sadly, it's pretty common. And it can be even with the most "little" things such as closing the doors, ordering everything by colors or patterns, eating certain kind of food based on specific characteristics such as color or even taste... and I think that as everything, is always good to be diagnosed and treated on time, before it's too late.
  17. remnant

remnant Community Champion

My sister is a case in point though I won't allude it to OCD. She uses alot of time cleaning and makes sure that everything is meat with catholic precision. I have also come to the conclusion that some of these people are not suffering from OCD but they are Type 1 personalities who strive for perfection and would rather call them perfectionists. There is a thin kind between there predispositions and OCD.
  18. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

OCD is a completely separate condition. It isn't addiction. Why do people insist on defining addiction in inaccurate ways?
  19. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't necessarily have OCD, but I have a certain standard of neatness. Not to the point where I couldn't sleep when I didn't clean the house, but I really am annoyed by mess when I am around the house, so I make it a priority to clean the messy areas, especially when the cats have been around it. It's not OCD for me, it's just common cleanliness.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I think OCD is already an overused and abused term. Mixing it up with addiction is even worse. So much ignorance!