An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Neatness (OCD)

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Ali16, Sep 20, 2015.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I know a person who displays similar tendencies. She doesn't seem to make provision for human error and the task should be perfectly executed or else she would be screaming her head off about it. She is constantly cleaning, sometimes I wonder if she isn't just creating work for herself. She expects all around her to be just like her which can be a bit disconcerting.
  2. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

One thing I've never claimed is an addiction to cleaning. I think I have a fairly well-rounded life, so what if my kitchen doesn't always sparkle and smell like bleach? At least my family is healthy and strong and we have a good life together. Those are the important things, not spending all day long cleaning. I know of a lady who cleans her entire house every time someone enters her home. Even if you only step through the front door, talk to her and leave, she will clean the entire house to remove your 'germs'. That is what I'd call obsession, not just cleaning, but cleaning to the point where it overwhelms all other rationality.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, OCD is not addiction and vice versa however, I think some addicted people have it, and may turn to substances to deal with the anxiety and compulsions in their brain. Many people who abuse substances are mentally ill and use drugs are alcohol as coping mechanisms as many of you on this forum know. So no not the same...but they are cousins.