An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to opportunity?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Damien Lee, May 13, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This may sound like an odd one. But do you think it's possible for some people to be constantly on the lookout for new opportunities?

Primarily opportunities of the money-making kind, where one is on a constant prowl to find new and better ways to earn cash. I've seen this happen with a former boss of mine, he was already quite wealthy when I started working for him. What surprised me was that he was never happy with what he already had.

It was common knowledge among all that worked for him, that he was neglecting his family. His goal was always to embark on new opportunities for maximum profit. He would be at the company on an almost daily basis, working late nights when the reality was he didn't have to. Particularly with all the wealth he already accumulated. I always wondered if he was ultimately chasing money because he was enjoying it, or just addicted to it?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that was we commonly called as workaholics. :)
    There are some who prioritize their jobs/work than anything else and I think that can really be called as addiction. Those who seem not contented of the work and achievements they had and keep striving for more.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  3. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, I guess this is actually a real case of addiction, some people just need to feel that rush when they are developing a new business and getting the most of it, after it becomes something stable it also become boring because they already to know what to expect from their business so I guess they try to feel that rush again.
  4. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I guess that a person can be addicted to just about anything. There are many people who do go after numerous opportunities for money, but I don't think all are addicted. Some people are go getters and risk takers and want to maximize every opportunity they can get to increase their money.
  5. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, my former boss did indeed come across as a workaholic. That played a bit part in his success and he definitely tried to instill that work ethic among the employees. I don't mind that he valued hard work that much, that is a positive attribute. It's the damage he did to his personal, family life that is the issue here. While I haven't kept in touch with him after all these years, I do hope he has improved relations with his family.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yes, this can be considered as an addiction but it's not necessarily bad. Workaholics are people who have an unrelenting need to work, which can be considered as persons who always look out for new opportunities in their specific area.
    It is important that a workaholic also focuses on his/her life, it can lead to a lot of broken relationships and emotional problems.
  7. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Every opportunity is not for everyone. We have to be selective about the opportunities that come our way and make sure we will be able to handle them before you get involved. Going after something because of the money will not ensure your success, passion will.
  8. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I agree I think the term for this is workaholic however I don't think that's accurate for everyone. I think some people just don't know what they want in life and so they keep trying new things until they find it.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Everyday is a new opportunity in our life. I think people who are always looking for new opportunities to have extra income in order to earn and to survive life are the people who are hardworking for their future. While there are those people and there is already an opportunity but they just let it pass by then these people are the ones who had no dreams or goals in life.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have always wondered why the rich people tend to get richer and never want to stop accumulating money. Just like your boss which seems to be a workaholic. I never understood the need to have all the money in the world. I know that for me and my family, what I want is a good life but not necessarily with material things. I just want to be able to provide my son with his needs and occasionally his wants. A stable life is enough for me that we get to eat three to five times a day.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This man sounds like a workaholic. Being a workaholic is common among successful people. If it gets to the point where you neglect your family, your life is off balance. Being a workaholic can be bad when you have a family. The cure to this is learning to relax sometimes and enjoy what you've achieved.
  12. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

People like that are workaholics. Not sure what causes it, but it might be a fear of not having enough to provide for your family (even though they're being neglected) or to take care of yourself in old age. Of course, the irony is that someone working all the time for their family never sees them. Maybe your boss felt inadequate deep down, and the only time he felt good about himself was when he was building his business.

I had a friend in high school who's dad was like this. He drove a truck for a living, and he was literally ALWAYS gone. He made really good money, but he would be home like, a month out of the whole year. The rest of the time he was in other states. I think there was an underlying fear of being impoverished because of his childhood. He grew up very poor in the Dominican Republic, and my friend told me he had like one pair of pants as a kid. So he might have always been trying to compensate for that.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  13. Coolkidhere

This actually makes sense. One famous businessman in our country is known to be a rags to riches story. He came from a very poor family until he built a shoe store that then became a famous mall today. He just keeps on getting richer. He probably does not want to be poor again or have his kids experience the hardship he endured.
    Eashow10 likes this.
  14. Eashow10

Eashow10 Member

This is almost like gambling. While looking for the next big thing you take a new opportunity leaving a secure cash flow. I do not think I would categorize this under workaholics. As many times these people are looking for the next big thing to make large amounts of money with little efforts.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It's either he's addicted to accumulating wealth, he's greedy, or he's still not content with his achievements. Being a workaholic is very much preferred than being lazy, but it should be done in moderation and not to the point that you start neglecting other aspects of your life like health, family, etc.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  16. Coolkidhere

You are very right. Everything should be in moderation. How else are you going to enjoy life if you are focused so much on work? Your children will grow up having a gap in their relationship with you. Your partner will not grow with you. Your social life will suffer. Your health will take its toll. Work to live, not live to work.
  17. serenity

@Coolkidhere, If you think about it, Damien Lee's boss certainly prioritized accumulating wealth than building a close bond with his family. I wonder what was the end result of all that hard work when it comes to his relationships with other people. I'm pretty sure his relationships deteriorated in general.
  18. Coolkidhere

@serenity
    I think his relationships all suffered because of his addiction to work. You just cannot focus on one aspect of your life to enrich. If you do, you do not grow whole as an individual. If you only focus on your work, it is only your career that will be growing. How about your relationships? They will suffer because you do not give time to them.
  19. serenity

@Coolkidhere, You know what, it also occured to me the possibility that he might not even care that he is risking his interpersonal relationships with working too much, and that is much worse.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  20. Coolkidhere

@serenity
    Well, that is really worse. I think family relationships should be growing as much as career. It is just a very important aspect of a person's life. Family will be there when the time comes that your career is over. And career will always have an end. Family would not.