An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Psychiatric Meds

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Ali16, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I've found over the years that almost every psychiatric medicine has some sort of withdrawal effects. Some are so severe that people in up in the ER or hospital. Often they are told the medication withdrawal is actually their symptoms coming back - instead of a reaction to not taking the medication. This happened to me and I ended up spending 5 days a psychiatric hospital due to the effects that coming off a medication had on me. Doctors will continually deny that any psychiatric medication has withdrawal effects. I feel like they turn us into prescription drug addicts to put money in their pockets.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Well, it's not necessarily a conspiracy to keep people sick and, therefore, stuck on prescription drugs, even if it does seem like that's the case. Psychiatric meds absolutely have withdrawal effects and side effects, and I don't think a legitimate doctor would deny that since the bottle's warning label admits as much. These drugs are often more dangerous than people realize, but they get approved if they show decent enough results in trials.
  3. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

All substances have side effects and a doctor's job is to use their knowledge to weigh up the benefits versus the negatives. It is my strong belief that there is no conspiracy here. Doctors are people too - just like you and I. I'm sure there are some 'bad eggs' out there with less than pure intentions, but I very much believe they are at a minimum. They take an oath to 'do no harm' and it is my experience that people tend to take this very, very seriously.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time when you stopped taking that medication. Were you able to find a new medication that helped you?
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that it is easy to get addicted to the drugs which are meant to be for helping the person and also sometimes, we need to be careful and also think what will work for us and sometimes people use herbal means. It is important to know what is in the medicine and see how the dose affects us, as sometimes the mind can get moody and not react well to the medication. I know some people who are taking psychiatric medicine and sometimes it does affect them and need to take it at the correct time otherwise it can upset them in the long run, and cause them to be angry or depressed at times.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

There has to be a alternative to these dangerous medicines. I think safer more natural alternatives should be looked into. It's not that I'm saying medicine wouldn't help, but with these side affects what's the point in taking them. Why get addicted to something that's harmful and only makes the problem worse. There has to be a better way to go about this.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's important to realise that this isn't really an addiction. When discontinuing a psychiatric drug, you aren't constantly thinking of getting your hands on some more as they do not produce any immediate euphoric effect. Discontinuation syndrome only occurs because your brain knows that something that used to be there isn't any more. It's usually over and done with in a week. Venlafaxine is particularly notorious for producing these effects.
  7. hanno

hanno Member

Hmm, I think this can be a tricky issue.

I'm currently taking depression medication with a particularly nasty comedown (Effexor), and there have been times when I haven't arranged my prescriptions properly, when I've had to go a few days without. I get flulike symptoms, and electric shocks that make me feel like a real junkie. It's my least favorite part about my meds.

But outside of that, my meds help me function day to day. I'm not obsessed with acquiring more, or taking higher and higher doses, as I was when I was addicted to heroin. I don't act like a terrible person, and my meds don't make me want to give up my friendships, health, and other good things simply for more.

For me, that's where the most important difference lies.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that meds usually have side effects. So better to take only the amount that has been prescribed and take note if a person has other health issues like allergies to a certain substance.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

These are powerful medications, which is why they have side effects associated with withdrawal. The only safe way to get off of these meds is to do it under a doctor's supervision. Having a doctor help you wean off of the drug slowly is the safest method and can minimize the withdrawal symptoms.
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

There are lots of meds prescribed by the psychiatrists. Unless we know a name or what you took exactly, it's pretty hard to get a helpful or even a correct answer.

That's straight bullshit. They don't spend 6 years in the medical school because they want you to become an addict and they don't even get any benefit particularly from prescribing pills. It's really offending to see this kind of statements without having any valid argument for them.
  11. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

As the patient, we the consumers need to be the number one advocates for our health. In many cases, prescription drugs are offered instead of alternatives such as therapy, maybe due to the patient's wishes or the doctor's. In this day and age with multiple doctors to choose from and the vast amount of medical information online, we need to be aware of our options and educate ourselves on our own illnesses.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Simply because of how powerful these drugs are, I have a hard time believing that they don't have side effects. I never knew that some doctors might tell their patients that it's the symptoms coming back vs bad side effects. Maybe the doctor is too indoctrinated and didn't know any better or maybe he did know better and was lying. Though no matter what these doctors need to be familiar with the drugs they prescribe as well as any problems they can cause. Otherwise he is not a legit doctor and you need to get out of his office asap.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I feel the same, Ali. Every doctor knows that synthetic medicines are far from perfect. If herbal medicines can trigger a healing crisis, synthetic medicines have side effects, which could differ from one person to another. Besides, hospitals have changed these days. They're no longer as patient-centered as they used to be.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. The withdrawal symptoms are there for a reason and that is exactly it. They want you to come back and need more. It's basically a civil war with pharmaceuticals and the chemicals in foods. All designed to mess people up in the head and health wise. Its quite obvious and yet many people are completely oblivious or deny that this would be happening. Staying asleep or denying it is participating in it. I think what I see is that the reason why people deny it is the underlying level of how many people are unfortunately sadistic. They enjoy dishing it out and receiving. So the idea of something like this going on seems surreal, but if one is sadistic, they will allow it.
    It is all sort of coming together in my mind. I heard this homeopathic doctor talking about people who refuse to eat properly. He's recommending fruits and vegetables. Mostly raw. He says, "enjoy your misery." Lol he is talking about people who continue to horribly and refuse to eat in a way that will heal them. "enjoy your misery. enjoy your sickness."
    People being so far gone that they don't see that what they are ingesting is hurting them. "I need it. The doctor said, so I have to." They are not the red coats, but they are in white coats. Psychiatry is a pseudo-science they have no clinical tests to determine diagnosis. They experiment with drugs that are not even fully tested. Pharmaceutical company CEO's say things like "get it passed who cares if it kills people. They won't know until its too late. We'll have our money."
    This is a quote from someone who sat in on meetings at the pharmaceutical companies. If that is not a "silent civil war" I don't know what is.
  15. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

What is so bad is that these meds are just prescribed left and right. I can see how easy it is to get addicted to them. I just don't like how they mess with your brain chemistry.