An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Spending?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Miaka_M, May 8, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I know someone who is addicted to spending. I guess that it can also be considered as being spoiled in the eyes of others. This person receives monthly allowances from her parents of up to $1,000 and she spends it on the most outrageously expensive things that she can find. Unlike myself, she will not buy anything on sale. I could never understand how someone can be so addicted to spending money because as we age we have to learn how to manage our finances.

Do you know someone who is addicted to spending money?
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve known a couple of people whom I’ve suspected may have had spending addictions. One was somewhat aware that she was engaging in retail therapy; the other, I’m still not sure.

I’m definitely not judging because I myself managed to succumb to an impulse-buying habit to fill an emotional void. Which I felt especially guilty about because logically, I always knew stuff wouldn’t bring me happiness. I never got too out of control and I’ve since let go of the habit, but I do understand the temptation.
  3. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I personally don't know anyone with an addiction to spending but I do have a bad habit of impulse buying even when I know I cant afford it. I'm trying to shake off that habit before it gets bad but I wouldn't say I have an addiction.
  4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I can't say I'm addicted to spending money per se, but when I see something that pleases my sight, I usually make that "yes" momentary decision and simply go for it, regardless of the price. Like Katherine said, I tend to spend when I very well know I can't afford.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think I knew someone who seem to spending always on a lot of things than made her have huge debt. I think this kind of addiction is related or connected to addiction to shopping.
  6. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I encountered someone who was addicted to spending on keeping herself beautiful. She's not like your acquaintance but damn can she spend on stuff. I went to her apartment and saw her collection of shoes and clothes. I mean, she only has 2 feet and she has a closet just for shoes. I think she is just insecure with her appearance to the point that when she gets hold of cash, she heads for the boutiques and stores. She's the only one I know with this habit.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I sometimes self indulge in a little extra shopping when I am feeling down and out. It is a rush to look at new products and gives you a happy, comforting feeling when you get to buy something brand new. It could easily get out of hand if you let it and you could end up spending yourself into problems.
  8. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I know someone who WAS like that. ME. I was that guy. Buy this. Buy that.
    All of it changed when I got a job. So, the best way to handle the problem is to let her go make her own money.
  9. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I do know several people who are addicted to spending. I have seen them spend money that was for bills on unnecessary items. Don't get me wrong I love to shop and spend money but I do know my limits and can walk away.Sometimes I don't think that they consider that they have an addiction, they just feel like they like to shop. Just like any other addiction it's all about the high for that moment of spending, until they run out of money.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Luckily all my friends are very good with their money and don't waste their paychecks on useless stuff.

I suggest you talk to your friend about her spending habit, she may not realise that what she does is wrong and it will cost her in the future.
  11. juno

juno Community Champion

Being a shopaholic is a kind of OCD and there is treatment for it. However, to really be considered an addiction, a person must not be able to stop even when they have run out of money and the spending will impact the persons life in many aspects like work, friends, finance. However, if you get $1000 a month just for extra spending and all your other basic needs are taken care of, then you are just spoiled and finding ways to spend what you have rather than using it for some kind of good in the world.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Managing your finances properly is important. We should teach our children this from a young age, so that when they grow up they will not be addicted to spending. Some people are addicted and when they receive money it is like something that burns a hole in their hand. They cannot wait to get rid of it. The only way they know is to spend.
  13. Grimp

Grimp Member

I reckon my sister is addicted to spending money, or at least, shes addicted to buying new things. She only bought a new car a month ago and now she is already considering selling that one and getting another one. Also she receives parcels in the mail at least once a week. Luckily she funds all this with her job where she works hard all week, but I know for a fact she is addicted to the feeling of having some new thing because when she doesnt receive her new items on time in the post she actually almost starts crying 0_o
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Yes I do, a friend of mine is in a situation like OP said. He gets around 5000$ a month from his parents, he ends up spending them on the most ridiculous expensive stuff. A few months ago he bought a new car, after 3 months he changed it because he didn't like the color. Now I heard him saying that he wants to buy a new one because he got bored of the old one.

I guess they are addicted to spending so useless because they've never worked in their lives for money, it will be a big crush when they face reality and realize how hard it's to earn they money into this world.
  15. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I used to be addicted to spending a couple of months ago. I would use it to buy absurd things (which I generally didn't need), and I remember that I didn't value money at all. This all changed when I joined our family business. You never know money's worth until you earn on your own. I felt pity, and was full of regret. I used to spend my parent's hard earned money like it meant nothing to me.
  16. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

Knowing how to save money is important. Times are hard nowadays and sooner or later the money that she's spending will be wasted. You have to talk to her out of it and make her see that she's not clearly thinking of the future. Being addicted to spending is actually dangerous because what would happen if you don't have money to spend? That could resort to something extremely wrong (i.e. stealing) and have worse consequences.
    As early as now, you have to talk some sense into her because it could mean trouble in her future.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Wow, that's impressive! $1000 spending money per month. That's more than some people I know earn in a month, and they work really hard. Consumerism is like a disease. I have seen people at big sales, especially when designer labels are on offer, getting into some kind of adrenaline rush, pushing each other around in order to get to what they want. I can't really imagine what is going on in their minds.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon, a person who spends too much will have problems down the road, especially if they have a family and that will cause problems in the relationship which will not be good. I think it could be due to emotional problems, a person tries to fill the void by doing this if they have a lot of money will do this and buy what eyes see when they don't need the product. Sometimes, people want to get the product while it is on sale on the first day and later on may think they should of waited as the product is on special now.
  19. Baye's Mom

Baye's Mom Member

I liked to spend money when I was a teen. When I was a kid, I didn't have a lot. My dad and step-mom would buy brand new things for my little sister and I either got hand-me-downs or nothing. So when I got my first job, I would spend my whole paycheck the day I got it, buying silly things like a robot money bank and pink hair dye. Becoming an adult has changed a little about how I spend but I the rent is paid and I want to buy something, I'll probably buy it.
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

There are a lot of people who spend money unwisely. One can be wise and plan of buying whatever is needed most. It is ridiculous to find out that one doesn't have even the required materials for their studies. Others spend but forgetting that they were supposed to go for a medical check up. There are some who do it just for fame.