An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Spending?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Miaka_M, May 8, 2015.

1. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Ever since I was a child my parents taught us already the value of earning money from their hard work. We knew this from the start they they are working very hard for our future. That is why me and my siblings grew up how to manage and to spend wisely the money our parents is giving us to give importance for all the sacrifices of our parents for us. And up to now that I am an adult and married already I still spend only for important things that is needed in our everyday needs. We just spend by putting our extra money for our savings and emergency funds in the future. And I think this is the best spending one should have.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yeah lol again my husband's sister is just like this. She earns a lot as she works abroad at a hospital. But she can never save money as she buys expensive shoes and clothes all the time. Her room is filled with so much clothes you cannot even see the floor, I know because I see it when I video chat with my husband when he was there with his sister.

She buys a lot of makeup and beauty products too. She just cannot seem to be contented!
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My oldest sister loves to spend more than she earns. I believe she has a real addiction, she often organizes parties for her friends who are actually rich. She wants to desperately be part of that circle and that people think she is rich that she doesn't think twice before spending a lot money on entertaining her guests, buying new car and changing her wardrobe every year. I don't understand her. We don't seem to be sisters at all, we are so different.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Been there and bought the t-shirt, quite literally. The first business that I started was a big success and gave me tremendous spending power. While it never made me rich, it certainly provided for a comfortable lifestyle especially during the boom years. For several years I would travel and spend money to my heart's content. It's a very addictive and empowering feeling but I'm also glad that I went through that phase. I spent to the point where I just got sick of shopping and spending cash, and it's now out of my system.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it's just not knowing how to manage it yet. When someone doesn't have people to depend on they'll find a way to live with in there means. 1,000 dollars a month sounds like a really nice allowance, this persons parent's must be really well off. If someones parents can give them this kind of allowance they probably don't have to worry about there needs as much so the only other thing to do with this money is buy what they want.
  6. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I'm a bit of a shopping fan but I tend to go a little crazy in thrift stores, dollar stores and on sites like ebay and amazon, so maybe it's less of a spending thing as I get good deals and more of a shopping issue.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Maybe it is indeed an addiction, but some people just feel good spending money and they love to be surrounded by nice things. I can say for myself that I love to spend and collect all sorts of things, but I don't do that when my budget is tight.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

People addicted to spending are not what you'd consider addicts in every sense of the word. They may have behavioural or psychological problems and are just using shopping as an excuse to let off steam. Others are simply narcissistic. They buy stuff to show off and elevate their self-esteem. Regardless, anyone with a shopaholic syndrome needs to seriously evaluate his/her life.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Lol. Doesn't really sound like money is an object to these kind so it's not much of a problem. I know it's hard but might try not being jealous of people that have more. If someone thinks they can't control their spending and they need to because they don't have much. This is a different story. A family who gives money for spending, living or whatever is really not the same.
    Believe it or not it can have something to do with the type of food they eat. There is a ton of garbage in food today that cause all kinds of problems. Over spending and no self control are actually one of them.
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I've also thought about that thing with the food some people eat, if it affects somehow the way they discern information. However, if we start a pool, we'll see that people who can't afford to spend money, aren't usually that addicted to spending them, as they are used to not having money and therefore spending nothing. I guess it's a second nature for people who have tons of money, to have the need for spending, to make them feel alive somehow, the fact that they just purchased something, that they just used some money some way.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have a friend who never has any money and it does not seem to bother her a great deal. I on the other hand get bothered if it is close to payday and I have very limited money left over. I am not a big spender, but it is nice to have money around if there is something you need or want to buy. I start to think of myself as a failure when I do not have money in my account even if the money went to something good like paying off bills.