An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to Technology?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by SunnySkies, May 12, 2015.

1. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

There are many substances a person can get addicted to. However, we can technically extend the definition of addiction to almost anything, as long as the person using it exhibits the same characteristics of substance abuse. Like for instance, the internet, smartphones, tablets, or if we are to generalize it, current day technology. It's very omnipresent in our world, and can provide us with many forms of sanctification and entertainment. However, the dark side of this convenience is over-usage. Do you feel we as western culture, are getting addicted to our technological gadgets?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I'm reading a book about this right now, and it actually compares the addiction to a cell phone to the addiction to cocaine. They have similar stimulation, and the withdrawals are somewhat similar as well.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's just western culture. All around the world people are more and more just bowing down and keeping quiet and keeping to themselves instead of talking to each other while commuting because everyone can just play on their phones and ignore each other. I don't think it's entirely a bad thing but you're right people can take it too far just like anything else.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Probably cell phone addiction is worst than overall technology addiction. Actually people are cell phone-dependents and you can see almost anyone using a smartphone anywhere, particularly in the public transport.

Sometimes I wonder if they do not realize the kind of spectacle their addiction cause. To me, and by the look of their faces, is like if they were retard unable to get unplugged for a little bit. In fact some of them pretend to be using a smartphone and you can see them sliding the screen with finger... supposedly, because if you know a little bit about cell phones, you can easily realize they have an ordinary, basic mobile.

However those persons do not want to be excluded from the crowd doing nothing but fooling with the phone. I accept this could be useful to do something on the go, to check your contacts of have some leisure, but again, they use to act like if wanting to let the world know they have a touch phone, and being retard (no offense) by the look in their faces.

I have to accept being addicted to technology in the past, mainly to the Internet. Not having connection was a near to death experience to me, but over time I have stopped my technology addiction, don't care be offline for a bit, nor having to wait to get the newest smartphone or change my computer again.
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It's definitely a global problem, people are addicted to their smartphones everywhere. Videos and music are now easily streamed from just about any device, and the quality has improved tremendously. Let's not forget about all the social media outlets namely: twitter, facebook, tumblr and instagram. There is a constant barrage of information moving back and forth and everyone seems to want to be a part of this.
  7. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I have a friend who can't go a minute without having his phone in his hands. Constantly chatting and checking social networks, Failing almost all of his exams and his life turned into a **** are the main results of it.
    Given the example above, I have no doubt smartphones can be a destructive addiction.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I know some who are already addicted to their gadgets. Those who cannot seem to leave their cellphones or tablets. Mostly of the reasons to get addicted to it are the online or video games. Some play all day and neglecting other important things in their lives.
  9. MyDigitalpoint

May sound funny, but these pictures illustrate exactly what is going on with smartphone addiction!

One of my friends delivered a live video of him peeing, not his wish, but having starting a video conference over his smartphone, he fell the urge to go to the bathroom, he said "wait a minute" ran with the phone in hand and never realized what he was broadcasting.

Yesterday night, I witnessed another absurd addiction to smartphones. I was walking down the street and there was a couple doing the same ahead of me but doing it hand in hand, they suddenly stopped and I could go ahead of them.

Do you know why they stopped? Because each of them had a smartphone in the other hand, and the girl's stopped to play the video she was watching, while the guy was chatting with someone on Facebook, as he stated when the girl asked him for the title of a song she wanted to play... "when I'm chatting on FB can't remember, shhh" he said.
    amin021023 likes this.
  10. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

That is sad yet hilarious! I have mixed feelings for these poor souls.
  11. SunnySkies

A lot of fascinating responses here. I guess we all have personally experienced technology addiction in some way. My next question is this: how can resolve or reduce this addiction? Technology permeates most aspects of our lives nowadays, which makes limiting it much more problematic. It's seeping into our culture, and is affecting how we view the world, for better or worse.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think this is a very real problem and we need to watch out for it and remedy it. I know that my son spends hours each day on his phone and I have had to begin restricting him because I cannot get him to do anything else! I spend a lot of time using technology, but it is all work related.
  13. MyDigitalpoint

Indeed, is undeniable we need technology for both our personal and business life, but there must be limits one should be aware of.

Yesterday, I was riding the subway in my way back home. Loads of couples "in love" with smartphones in hand paying more attention to their device than to their companion.

If I were in the shoes of one of them, I would say to my partner, "hey, are you with me or with your phone" and would ask to get this if not turned on, at least into the pocket or purse.

Similarly, mothers and fathers riding with children and paying attention to the phone, not to their kids, and even getting upset and yelling out at them for distracting them with the natural curiosity children have to ask questions about just anything.

If many teenagers and young adults complain today about their parents' indifference and lack of love in their home, go figure what will be in these children's hearts within the upcoming years as they grow up.
  14. SunnySkies

Agreed, I feel this is a serious issue nowadays - parents (metaphorically) throwing smartphones and gadgets at their children to occupy the latter, instead of properly parenting them. This will have serious development issues if it continues unchecked, which sadly, seems to be happening more often. After all, if the parents aren't there for their kids, the kids will be turn to technology to fill the void.
  15. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think the word 'addicted' is overused in today's world. A lot of technology is used for school and work purposes, therefore it isn't really an addiction. Addiction would imply negative consequence, this only applies when someone is using technology to the extent where they are harming themselves and people around them. I am not quite sure how this would be possible.
  16. MyDigitalpoint

Good example that shows off a certain degree of addiction and dependence.

You said it all, today most schools provide their students with technology and ask them to include gadgets considered teaching tools but...

What if there is no electricity to overlook an address over a map? If during blackout they need to do their homework? Or what else if a student's parents take him/her to the country side where there is no Internet connection?

You would be surprised to discover the large number of students that have no idea how to use a printed encyclopedia nor can figure out where is the "zoom button" in a paper map.

Even for us, when power supply fails, many of us have forgotten there is radio to listen to the news or newspapers to read what's going on.

Addiction to technology makes us develop dependence of it, but this is worse for younger generations that were not taught to study without electronic devices.

I remember myself being admonished by my teachers for using an electronic calculator at college! Now who never have calculated anything mentally but using an electronic device, what is going to do without it?
  17. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I can see how a person can be addicted to technology. This is a technology based world we are living in and there is always something new on the market that some people think they must have. If technology is taking up all your time and you feel like you can't live without then I would consider what is more important.
  18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I don't know about everyone else, but I am borderline addicted to my phone. I am on it to the point where it irritates my boyfriend and even though I work in the cel phone industry I have had it taken away at work. There is not a minute of the day that it isn't in my pocket, hand or right in my purse on my shoulder. I may have a problem...
  19. juno

juno Community Champion

Addictions to technology, such as Facebook or nonstop checking of your email can fall under OCD. The main ones that are recognized by the APA are gaming addictions. It can be very serious and as disruptive to life as drugs. People get so addicted that they can't stop and put off work to keep going, leading to job loss among other things.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well, I've earned a lot of money through technology. I've also managed to contact people no matter where they are on this planet. The thing is, as long as you focus on the productive and ethical aspects of technology, then it's all right to get addicted to it. However, if your life is left in tatters because of such an addiction, then there's no appropriate remedy but to take it easy.