An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to the internet?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by danjon, Dec 23, 2015.

1. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Just a little bit. I find my self searching and browsing endlessly and I find everything except what I was looking for. Sometimes I need to take a break from internet because too many stupid stuff is out there like facebook and such, but I do have a light addiction and it does take my time. I realize that many people are heavy addicts and I know some actually. It would be interesting if www would suddenly die without any chances or recovery.
  2. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

I also think social media fuels the internet addiction fire in a lot of ways. Before, you had to dig for something interesting but now, the things you enjoy or can enjoy are easily found in social media. I know quite a few people who'd say anything for that extra "like" or "upvote".
  3. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Intеrnеt аddiсtiоn is dеfinеd аs аny оnlinе-rеlаtеd, соmpulsivе bеhаviоr whiсh intеrfеrеs with nоrmаl living аnd саusеs sеvеrе strеss оn fаmily, friеnds, lоvеd оnеs, аnd оnе’s wоrk еnvirоnmеnt. Intеrnеt аddiсtiоn hаs bееn саllеd Intеrnеt dеpеndеnсy аnd Intеrnеt соmpulsivity. By аny nаmе, it is а соmpulsivе bеhаviоr thаt соmplеtеly dоminаtеs thе аddiсt’s lifе. Intеrnеt аddiсts mаkе thе Intеrnеt а priоrity mоrе impоrtаnt thаn fаmily,
  4. madetofly

madetofly Member

I am addicted to the Internet too and it's really hard for me to keep away from this. Imagining a day without Internet really scares me a lot. I think that the Internet is the thing that connects all the person from different parts of this globe.
    According to me this addiction is not so serious because we carry phones or tabs with us so, there is very little chances to be addicted to this and it's not a matter of discussion.
    I spend almost 12-15 hrs on the Internet and I didn't get bored from this, in fact, I feel like complete because whatever I want I get it on the Internet just clicking a button and there I get it.
    But it can be a matter of discussion if we are spending time on it and damaging our social life.
    It should be balanced and that will be very good. We shall balance our life with all the things that we use.
  5. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I believe that addiction the all things electronic is becoming a huge issue. It has recently become a problem in my relationship. My other half tends to get jealous of my internet usage. He sometimes feels that I spend more time on my electrics than with him. So yes, in more ways than one excessive internet usage can be bad for you.
  6. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Excessive use of anything can be dangerous, especially the Internet. Too much use of the Internet can result in loss of eye sight and increase the rate of cancer because of the Mercury that emits from a device.