An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to the smell of printed paper

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Damien Lee, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Okay, this may be a bit of a weird one. I always love entering bookstores and newsagents, particularly for that strong smell that comes from all the printed books and magazines. I don't know whether it's the inks and any other chemicals used during the printing process, combined with the various types of paper. Glossy magazines and coffee table books tend to smell really great.

Am I just strange or do you also find the smell of printed material alluring as well?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Ink does smell nice and I'm sure that several people would agree. Others will think it is awful, I'm sure.

But are you delibarately going out of your way to visit these types of stores? Do you feel anxious and irritated if you haven't sniffed any ink for a while? Do you regularly engage in ink-seeking behaviour? If not then you really don't have to worry, it isn't an addiction, just a preference. I've definitely heard of weirder things.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I love that smell too, but for me I think it's more of a nostalgia thing.

I usually would buy a new book or some magazines when I would be going on a vacation or taking a flight somewhere, at the airport. So for me I think it's smell association -- I smell that freshly printed new book or magazine ink smell, and it transports me to vacations on the beach, or going somewhere exciting, or visiting loved ones. It's so interesting to me how certain smells really do just seem to trigger memories.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

After being around here all this time I have realized that all of us are (or have been) allured by more than one addiction, probably as a result of the natural discovering exploration of our surroundings, particularly in childhood.

I remember myself in infancy liking cough syrup and flu medicine, the aroma of a freshly painted wall, or the smell of my new vinyl dolls. Printer paper was not an exception because my dad worked next to a newspaper publishing company and many times he used to visit a friend there, and take my hand to show me the way through the printing machines while going with him.

Similarly I like how all new school items smell, and we could sum up many other addictions-like each of us accrues with the pass of the time, not all the same perhaps, but let's face it. We like or liked things that today sound like a declared addiction.

Only difference is that we didn't get hooked up with these... let's call them "preferences" that we might still enjoy when those smells or tastes comes across, but we are not avidly looking to perceive them, nor we feel like dying if we don't have them, right?

As said by @kassie1234 is kinda part of each one's nostalgia ;)
  5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I like the smell of paper best when it's fresh out of the printer and still warm. I would not say it's an addiction, but I can understand the allure.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Fresh paper has a good smell which is nice to have close to the nose when it is printed, I have never been addicted to it which is a good thing as that could lead to needing it to survive or think without it I can't live in my daily life. The smell of ink, can be good or irritating sometimes and especially the old ones as they have different chemicals mixed in it when it is produced. I think that some smells can be nice and a good change to the smell which are not appealing for the nose, it will be different for each person as some smells may be good for one person and for others it will not be suitable for them.
  7. rikka

rikka Member

I love the smell of new magazines and new notebooks, especially the expensive ones. I also have some weird preference to loving the smell of detergent, so if anyone goes with me doing some groceries, please forgive me if we hit the detergent stall. However, I do not consider it as an addiction because I seldom pass by the detergent stall.

Your love for the smell of printed materials is not unusual, in my opinion. It just seem to be your preference, that's all. If it is interfering with your daily life, like you really (really) need to go to a publishing house almost everyday, every hour, just to smell printed books or printed magazines, then I think there is a problem with that.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Kind of reminds me of a certain magazine I used to subscribe to. People were convinced the first few issues were dipped in Downy, because they had a sort of fresh, sweet smell to them. So I definitely see the appeal in the scent of printed paper, and I quite enjoy it myself.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Actually, quite a lot of people are drawn to the smells of ink in books and magazines. I am one of them. There is nothing more pleasant to me on a rainy afternoon than to enter a second hand book store and "inhale" all those wonderful smells of old books, and old paper. That's also one of the major reasons why I still prefer real books to e-books.