An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted to toxic soda?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by FuZyOn, Apr 26, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think this is a overlooked thing in our society, but I know that certain types of soda can be very harmful for your body and can also become very addicting.
    I was this way with Pepsi, but I got rid of that addiction.
  2. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

Though maybe not quite an "addiction" - I try not to use that term casually, I have had issues with drinking way too much cola in the past. I just kept craving it so badly. I think one of the reasons cola is so addicting is because of the caffeine in it, maybe, as well as the sugar. Either way, I had to cut it out all together because once I have just one, I crave another and another can of the stuff.
  3. Plus

Plus Member

Sugar is one of the most addictive things out there, and most of us don't even know we are addicted sadly. Although sodas in moderation are alright, drinking them excessively can cause a ton of problems. The way that food establishments and restaurants hand soda out like it's water is quite disturbing when you think about it, but I suppose it all for profit regardless.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

I'm addicted to Diet Coke. So, it is not just the cafiene, but I'm daily consuming asparatame,which can lead to cancer. I pretty much have to drink it with lunch and dinner daily and if I have some unhealthy fried snack in between, then I need a soda. I won't go nuts without it, but I will be left unsatisfied, and sometimes I get a head ache.
  5. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I used to be addicted to Coke. I drank it all the time and when I didn't have a can I would get sever headaches. I went from three or four cans a day and worked my way down to one but instead of cutting out completely I switched to diet Coke and now I'm back up to three of four, sometimes even more cans a day and I'm having a hard time cutting down on it.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I used to be addicted to sugary drinks as well but fortunately for me I somehow managed to naturally transition into drinking just water. I still remember the times I could only drink sweet drinks and now looking back in really glad I was able to stop myself before my health turned for the worse.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Some sodas contain caffeine, hence the reason why they can be addicting. I'm not addicted to sodas so I have no intention to stop drinking them. I do try to limit my intake to once or twice a month, after which I undergo water therapy to completely rinse the soda off my system. When you choose a soda, make sure it's aspartame-free. Coca Cola now uses sucralose (an alternative, less harmful sweetener than aspartame) in lieu of sugar. Other carbonated drinks make use of stevia, which is even better.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Luckily, I never liked soda. Even when I was a kid I disliked it. When I worked in a bar some years ago, I saw a lot of junkies who couldn't get their heroin in time, getting some "cheap" high by drinking an entire bottle of Coke in one go. The sugar and additives would make their heart beat very fast and make them feel good for a short while.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

So that explains why I feel a certain feeling of chest tightness after I drink even a small amount of soda. I've never been fond of drinking any type of soda too. That's why whenever I can't avoid drinking one I get an uneasy feeling of tightness on my chest.
  10. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I know I have felt like I was going through withdrawal whenever I take a break from drinking cola. I drink other flavors also but the cola is the one I'm drawn to and crave the most.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Ha, that is very interesting. That really puts things into perspective, some drinks are really bad for you. I never tried to drink a bottle of Coke in one go, but I can imagine that it doesn't have a good aftermath.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Soda is evil stuff and I avoid it completely. If I want a cold drink, I just stick to water or occasionally fruit juice. Diet sdoas are probably worse than their "full-fat" counterparts due to the aspartame content.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can be easy to be addicted to these sort of drinks as they may have less sugar, but there will be something else in there like artificial sugar and also may seem good for trying to lose weight but may do the opposite as well. I have read that it can lead to dibieties type 1 and also not as healthy as it seems which can be easy to think it won't happen to me. I think natural drinks are alright like orange juice or raspberry juice you can just use a blender and healthy as well which is nice and refreshing as well.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've actually never felt any high from drinking these other than being mildly pleased that I'm drinking something other than boring water. I do know of some people who get a bit cranky when they don't get their fix though, and thankfully most of them are just kids so hopefully they grow out of it.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good thing you got rid of that addition. Soda drinks are considered as unhealthy drinks and more it is unhealthy to drink too much of it. That could definitely cause various health problems.
  16. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Hmm.. yes, I like cola way too much and I don't miss a time when I can get my hands on it. Fortunately, I don't have the resources to buy huge amounts of it every day so I'm not addicted. I just like it a lot. Actually any fizzy drink brings me pleasure but I try to not overdo it. You know, they are not exactly the healthiest thing on Earth. Actually, I recently watched a video specifically about cola and I kind of lost my taste for it... Here's why:

Too much sugar, right? Not for me. I'll stick to water, thank you very much.
  17. Corten

Corten Member

A good friend of mine loves Cola, he can't get enough of it. He even has cravings for it, which is I think a bit scary. I always tell him it's not healthy at all, but it doesn't help. I mean, it's his decision, if he doesn't want to stop, I can't really make him.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I too, like quite a few people in this thread, used to consume way too many caffeinated soda drinks. It was essentially a pick me up that I would use in place of coffee - but I didn't like the fact that it was full of calories, sugars and other chemicals, so I ended up cutting it out. Took a while - the headaches were intense when coming off it - but I drink enough caffeine in my coffee that I don't need more in soda.

I've heard of a lot of people addicted to energy drinks - I think this is a pretty big issue these days.
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

All sodas are bad for people's health, especially when they are consumed in large amounts. Consuming a small cup of Coca-Cola, Pepsi or Sprite after a heavy meal can help with digestion though. But this should never become the norm. It's perfectly fine to have a 2 or 3 liter bottle of any particular soda in your freezer but it should never be consumed quickly. Stick to natural fruit drinks if you need to consume something that is refreshing.
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Sodas contain too much sugar which is bad for our health if we will going to drink it regularly. Any drinks that contains alcohol, caffeine and sugar will only destroy our body system. That is why it is better that you will drink the right amount of water everyday and natural fruit juices instead of drinking sodas.