An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by LaurenChaste, Dec 4, 2014.

1. LaurenChaste

LaurenChaste Member

I stared smoking when I was about 15 as more of a social thing. I'm 18 now and I still smoke and still feel the same. I don't smoke often and don't feel the need to smoke all the time. Sometimes, I feel like a cigarette sounds good, other times I do not even think about them. I do not think I really am addicted to them. I believe they CAN be addictive, but I do not think I am addicted. Am I right?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Depends on how you look at it.

Since you've been smoking for 3 years it's highly likely that you are an addict. However whether you are an addict or not please note that the more you smoke, regardless of whether you do so regularly [or not] you'll eventually get to the point where an occasional cigar won't do. Your body will want more and that would lead to . . .

The earlier you start cutting back on cigars, the easier it will be to stop using them completely when you decide to quit.
  3. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

It's hard to say if you are addicted or not but if you continue you will definitely get addicted. Don't fool yourself into thinking that it won't happen to you. I started when I was 13 and too immature to understand what I was getting into and it took me 17 years before I was able to quit!
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It means you're one of the few people that don't get addicted to nicotine. But this doesn't mean it can't harm you. If you're a lucky one, stop smoking. Many addicts wish they were like this. There are many other ways to socialize.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have a few friends who are able to control their smoking as well, most of them just smoke whenever we are drinking together as a group. I myself never understood how they didn't get addicted but they are able to pull it off. I think ultimately you will be the best judge of whether you do have the potential to get addicted someday but I think as long as you're self aware enough then you could fight it even if it does eventually become worse.
  6. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I think so too, LaurenChaste. I started drinking with friends at about 18. Like you, it was more of a social thing. I didn't crave it when I was alone. I never had the feeling that it tasted good when I was on my own. But with friends, I drank my own shots and finished up my friends' drinks because they were all tipsy and drunk but I was still sober. Anyway, I was about in my 20's when I stopped bar hopping with friends. I did because my boyfriend who's now my husband is not really into this kind of thing. So I didn't want to do it. Since then I drank on some occasions but not really often. Now, I don't dare drink because I feel I can get so dizzy and I won't definitely like its effects on me.

I am not encouraging you in any way to go on with smoking. Drinking and smoking will still have its ill effects on one's health especially when taken too long. This is just how I was before with alcohol. It was clear to me that drinking was a social thing. It never was an issue to me to take it or crave it when I was by myself.
  7. ally79

ally79 Member

It sounds as though you are one of the few that is not truly addicted...yet. I started smoking at 18, and now at 35 (tomorrow ;)), I wish I had never touched them. I have completely quit for two pregnancies and still pick them back up after the baby is born, which I hate about myself. If you are still at a point where you can quit easily you should do it.