An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction and Suicide

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kgord, Oct 22, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have been reading a book History of A Suicide I know, a little light reading right?? Well, anyway it is interesting and discusses the impact of suicide on a family. Of course the young girl who took her life was actively using drugs and alcohol. I am wondering if she had had effective SA treatment, would she have taken her own life? Clearly she had mental health and emotional issues her whole life, but probably if she had been clear headed she would have been able to function and think more clearly.I think her drug use initially masked her pain, but in the end just exacerbated it. How many people do you think commit suicide due to addiction?
  2. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Total light reading kgord! I do that too sometimes! Reading about it gives me cravings though. I know that it is just reading it, but sometimes it takes me back to dark places that I don't want to be in! I try to stay away from reading stuff like that now.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Suicide can definitely stem from addiction, but of course the addiction is making a person's depression thrive. It's no wonder people that are suffering from addiction commit suicide. Many of them are so stuck in their addictions and want to change, but can't find the will to do it. This is going to make anyone depressed.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Some people resort to drug addiction/substance abuse due to being too depressed, sad, or melancholic, and instead of feeling much better after they take those substances, they just feel much worse. And the sad thing is that this could also lead to suicide.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

That sounds a fun book! Remind me me NOT to pick that one up some time!

Addiction and suicide can go hand in hand but maybe not for the reasons people think. People tend to think an addict will commit suicide because they have had to much of a substance and it impairs their judgment, or because they can't get a substance and they feel they can't cope without it.

A lot of the time though its neither of them reasons and addicts know they can't go on taking what they are, but at the same time can't find a way to stop. They'll feel hopeless and that there's no way out from the life they're trapped in, and see there's no other way to continue.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Yes I think that although substances initially cover the pain a person is feeling, they tend to aggravate it. Once the person realizes that they cannot subdue their pain and now have a drug problem too, they sometimes give up. It must be just awful to be in that place. I do think that many of us have contemplated suicide at times, although we decided not to go there.
    rcdpink likes this.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think deeper issues along with drug use could be the problem. If you have a drug addiction and issues, that's a bad combination. Some drug addictions are formed from people trying to self medicate problems. Once a person has problems getting drugs it's all down hill from there. I think that a drug addiction could lead to suicide depending on the circumstances.
    kgord likes this.
  8. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Of course to the sane and sober minded individual, suicide is absolutely ridiculous. However to someone who is enduring an enormous amount of issues and challenges in life, suicide tends to represent itself as a means to end all sufferings. The logic behind it is that if you are dead then you cannot be bothered. I think people who are interested in overcoming their addictions are the ones who are most likely to really commit suicide. Those who are happy being addicted are usually not the ones who become frustrated and tormented with life.
  9. rcdpink

Yes indeed. The fact is that sooner or later we recognize that the substance that we are taking can never resolve our pains & heart aches. One becomes disillusioned with existence, overwhelmed with life, questioning whether or not one is even worthy to have life. I speak from experience because I know. I wanted to commit suicide once when I was a boy. My poor parents would just have come home to find me dead, because they did not know the enormity of what I was going to.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Some people just cannot cope with their problems that is why some of them turn to drugs. The thing is, their problems do not go away- the sadness, the pain, they're still there. And most of the time, their problems become worse because of the drug abuse. So they think that they are trapped, and that there is no way out of their situation.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like it's a bit of a "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" type scenarios. It's hard to say whether a person wants to commit suicide because of their addiction, or their feelings of wanting to commit suicide were what brought them to drug use in the first place. I definitely think there's some interplay there, and some connections - but it's hard to say exactly which is the overriding factor.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It is a well-known fact that most people take drugs to deal with stress or depression. However drugs can get someone only temporal relief before they start making the issue worse than it was.

Depression in most cases or some other addiction induced mental illness is what makes addicts commit suicide. Some suicides are intentional while others like an OD that wasn't planned for could be accidental. That's why it would be pretty hard to determine how many addicts commit suicide because their addiction compelled them to.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people do turn to drink and drugs at times when they are struggling to deal with their life.

That's not everyone thoughz and some are that young when they start it actually causes the problems they struggle with in the first place.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Maybe that girl was depressed, most people who take that decision are very depressed. I know because I almost make the same mistake, and let me tell you you don't know what is like to be dealing with that kind of depression until you feel it. A severe depression can totally destroy you, I don't believe in antidepressants, but if someone ever reach this level of depression they should really take them, no matter how bad the side effects are.
  15. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I don't think the family in the book really recognized her addiction and confronted her with it.The one thing they said was when they looked in the drawer of her room they found a medicine chest full of pills. They tried to have her hospitalized once, but she checked herself out. The girl in the book was extremely co dependent. She needed some kind of recovery program targeted to that, and her addiction. Something like Hannah's House maybe. I think they do that there.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

People commit suicide when they realize they got so addicted to substances they won't be able to recover. Drugs are destroying their lives, and they know this so well. Because of it, they prefer to take their own lives instead of seeing the narcotics doing it. It's a sad truth.
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

All of her drug and alcohol issues stemmed from the feelings of loss and abandonment she was left with as child when her father left the family and had little contact with her, with 50 percent of it being negative. I think the mother also modeled drug dependency as she used pills to put her to sleep and to wake her up. I think with this girl it was a perfect storm of problems that caused her suicide. However, had she been in a recovery program, I don't think it would have happened. In the book, the addiction tendencies, I don't want to say were glossed over, but I don't think they were given the proper weight. Both the mother and daughter could have gone to rehab in my opinion.
  18. rcdpink

That's an interesting view and I've never looked on it that way before. As for me though, I would prefer to die The progressive death from the narcotics than from taking my own life. While growing up I was taught that we not only have a body but a spirit living inside that body. Therefore after we are killed we still live on in a spiritual form and if that is so, we have an accountability factor there.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

@rcdpink I would prefer exactly the opposite. But by consuming harmful, addictive substances and not doing anything in order to change that is, basically, suicide, even if most people don't want to admit it or call it like that.

I'm the type of a person who would rather take their own life than let others take it, let alone things that don't even have a soul! Some would consider this narcissistic thinking, and on some level it really is, but the idea of someone believing that they have the power to take someone's life angers me.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not know someone personally who committed suicide because of addiction. I am only aware of some that were reported in the news such as celebrities who were overdosed. I think that using drugs especially those who got addicted already, cannot think well and have hallucinations that could lead to suicide or suicidal attempts.