An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction can be cured

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by peetbernadis, Oct 12, 2015.

1. peetbernadis

peetbernadis Active Contributor

Drug addiction can be managed successfully. Research has shown that combining addiction treatment medications with behavioral therapy is the best way to ensure success for patients. However, each treatment approach must be tailored to each patient's drug abuse patterns and co - occurring medical, psychiatric and social problems.

It is not uncommon for a person to relapse and start abusing drugs again. This in itself, however, does not signify treatment failure...rather it indicates that treatment should be reinstated or adjusted or that an alternative treatment is needed to help the individual regain control and recover.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

There is, in my opinion, a big difference between an addiction being "managed successfully" and an addiction being "cured."
    harold and doatk22 like this.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Very true. It needs to be cured, not managed. And I don't approve of putting people on medications to help them cope with recovery unless it's something to prevent withdrawal symptoms.
  4. peetbernadis

Unfortunately cure doesn't happen overnight, so in order for a cure to to bear fruition it has to be managed first until such time that you can actually say that a person has been cured. And even then a relapse can still happen and the process will have to be managed all over again. The outcome of any process is very much dependent on the way that it is managed from inception to the end result.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've been recovered for around 7 years now. Would I say I'm cured? Nope - the reason being is because it's constant work to remain recovered and remain sober! There are stressors in life that would push many of us towards drugs or alcohol if we didn't have coping mechanisms in place, so it's about constantly remembering to focus on those mechanisms rather than the destructiveness of drinking (which used to be my only coping mechanism). So yes I absolutely manage successfully with addiction/recovery, but it still takes work for sure.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Drug addiction can be recovered from, I'm not sure if cures is the best word to describe it though. Many people around the world have recovered from an addiction but are still vulnerable to succumbing to that addiction once again, so while they're not cured as such, they don't need or want the substance anymore.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

This most certainly is a sure-fire way to permanently beat an addiction. Since there usually is an underlying problem which needs to be fixed thereby canceling out the need for drugs to deal with a problem [whatever it is] dealing with co-occurring medical, psychiatric and social problems make relapsing unlikely because "self-medicating' won't be necessary any more.
  8. harold

harold Community Champion

Addictions should be cured and not managed. I agree with the fact that each patient has a behavioral pattern to which treatment should be adapted, but there is a clear cut difference between curing an addiction and managing it. Addictions can be cured, and entirely depends on the treatment method and the desire and will of the patient to overcome the addiction. No matter how good the treatment method is, if the patient does not take a firm decision to defeat the addiction, it can never happen.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think the proper term would be, "Addiction can be recovered from." I don't know if there's really a cure to it, but I know there are a lot of ways/methods you can use to be able to recover from it.

Anyway, of course, everyone can be able to get rid of their addictions as long as they're determined, patient, and strong enough for it.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. peetbernadis

Oh yes I totally agree that it needs hard and constant work to stay on the right track. Even when you think you are out of the doldrums one single slip-up might take you back all the way. All the hard work and blood, sweat and tears may be made undone in the wink of an eye. So you need to be vigilant all the time and keep on working at it.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think "cured" is a dangerous term to use. Those who think they are cured from something, may be more likely to think they could handle, just a drop, just a little. I think the term management of an addiction is much better than the term cured. It could be something that individuals probably should not use as a name.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think it's a pretty irresponsible choice of words too, for the same reasons you describe. There is no such thing as a "cured" alcholic or addict, just one who is successfully managing their issues.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Just to clarify: The point I was trying to make with this comment was that I don't think addiction can be "cured." But I do know that it can be "managed successfully." Just wanted to clear that up in case it wasn't clear.
  14. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

I don't believe in a "cure" for addiction. It is a battle that you will fight your whole life. I have watched many people fight. Some win, some lose.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

The cure is inside of them, more precisely in their brain. Because the only way you can get definitively rid of addiction is beating it using your willpower. No medication helps with this, on the contrary, it may even worsen the situation. There is no chance of cheating it, and, after all, you're only cheating yourself. People should learn that a shortcut is often not as rewarding and effective as the actual path.
  16. peetbernadis

I would rather not dare to venture an opinion around this because I truly believe that the only people who can truthfully talk about this are those who have been trough it. As for us ...I think all we can really do is hypothesize. In any case, that is just my humble opinion.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm also not sure if addiction can be cured, but it can be managed with proper treatment. I'm pretty sure that recovering adddicts do get tempted from time to time, but they manage to avoid the temptation, so I don't think it can be fully cured if the person is still craving for it.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. peetbernadis

Prolonged exposure to drugs alters the brain in ways that result in powerful cravings and a compulsion to use. These brain changes make it extremely difficult to quit by sheer force of will.
    Addiction is a brain disease, but that doesn’t mean you’re a helpless victim. The brain changes associated with addiction can be treated and reversed through therapy, medication, exercise, and other treatments.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is true. Many people have quit abusing drugs and they can tell you this.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The back up plan I think is essential. It works in other instances. If you have no alternative to the fix you are more likely to go back to it. Probably looking at what others have done to be successful would help.
    This guy was talking about how he kicked drugs with using herbs. I'm sure if you need to find a back up other people are certainly willing to share how they've done it.
    missbishi likes this.