An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction is long gone

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by oportosanto, Oct 29, 2015.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Hi everyone, I am glad to be a part of this community. I had drugs addiction in my life for many years, not only myself, but family members and friends too and I had to break from that circle to recover. Now (and throughout my whole life), I think it's time to give back, trying to help those willing to recover. That is why I am here.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@oportosanto... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing. We're so glad you're here! I'm so happy that you were able to break free from your addiction. And it's so great that you want to give back and help others with their recovery. Definitely look around the various threads here and feel free to comment as you wish. There is a great group of people here, that's for sure. Thanks again for being here! :)
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It's so nice of you to give yourself back to the community, there are a lot of people who are struggling with addiction that need help, so your moral support and time will be an invaluable gift to those who need a listening ear.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Welcome! As a recovered addict myself, I feel the same way about wanting to help others. I think a lot of the time when you've been through it yourself and know how hard it can be to recover (and how important support people are!) then it really makes you want to help others in their journey to sobriety!

So glad to have you here! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)
    Good to know that you have fully recovered already and great intention to help others. Recovery stories and experiences are inspirational.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@oportosanto Hello and welcome to this forum! It's great that you came here to be an inspiration to those who are struggling with addiction and to those who are recovering from addiction. Congratulations for that great accomplishment in your life! It's a good thing that you thought of giving back in trying to help those who are willing to recover. All the best of luck on this good advocacy you had now in your life! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here with us. Congratulations on getting clean and all that you have accomplished in your life! I am glad that you have reached out to help other people who are struggling. Your accomplishments will be an inspiration to other. looking forward to seeing you around the forum!
    deanokat likes this.
  8. oportosanto

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! :)

Getting clean is something hard, but I do recall counting one day at a time and feeling and basing my actions on that even when temptation and insecurity was big...
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am so please to hear of the strides you have made with your recovery. I am sure you can be a source of inspiration to many here. Welcome and I look forward to hearing more from you.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @oportosanto! Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. Wow, that's very kind of you. We are really glad to have you on board. I am pretty sure you will inspire a lot of struggling/recovering addicts here. Keep in touch! All the best! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there, oporto :) I'm so glad you are here and want to help others in the same situation you were in. I think that can be even more beneficial for your recovery, because staying clean and sober requires work and effort. I'm glad you are doing great. I think you will really like it here, because we got some really nice and helpful members, all of them have experienced addiction in one way or another.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. oportosanto

Thank you all once more. When I look back and see how lost I was, from sleeping in the street to having a family, a home, a job and things I love to do, there is a huge difference.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good thing. Isn't it interesting how some people end up letting others rub off on them. Breaking out of circles like that is sometimes hard but much better for you. I just heard this woman talk about how hanging out with someone with a broke mentality made her broke. There is another factor to that but generally it can happen. There's usually a reason why that person thinks that way and it continues. It is possible to break free of these things though.
    oportosanto likes this.
  14. oportosanto

The people that surround us make a whole big difference. We need to surround ourselves with good people and good activities, that will change what we are.
  15. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Welcome Oportosanto. I am also free of addiction after several years of serious alcohol abuse and came here to see if I could help others in the same way that others helped me. Its been an overwhelmingly positive experience for me so far, sometimes challenging, but ultimately, always worthwhile, and its helping me think about things in a new way and develop into a better person myself. I'm sure you'll find it just as satisfying.
  16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hi @oportosanto and welcome! I think that you are an inspiration to people facing addictions and those who have already recovered too. Congrats on your journey and I do hope that you continue to become a motivation for many people. It's quite difficult to remove ties from people who you're close with, but you've done it, to aid in your recovery. You're truly a strong person and I wish more people can look up to you!
    oportosanto and deanokat like this.
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's great that you're here to help other people! What a great way to use what you went through.
  18. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

@ OP, your willingness to help others who are enslaved by drugs is laudable. Having overcome your addiction I'm certain there's much those who are interested in fighting addictions can learn from you.

Welcome aboard and kudos for beating your addiction.
  19. oportosanto

Thank you once more everyone. I think that most of us here are the living example that there is a life after drugs and that if we fight hard enough we can stop consuming and live a better life.
    deanokat likes this.
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

Its time to join those who believe in your new life. Make sure you never get back, which is possible. I know that you have advice for struggling addicts who have failed to quit drugs. Together we can change our societies to the better.