An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction-Related Crimes

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, May 19, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

In a neighboring town, just around a 30-minute drive away from my local town, alcohol and cigarettes were banned by their local leaders because of a crime that happened there a few months ago. A young lady was brutally raped and murdered by a suspected cocaine addict who was believed to be under the influence at that time. The local folks then decided to go up against the selling of any kind of vice in the area as a course of action for the crime committed.

Crimes can never really be avoided when a person's mind is deeply clouded by a drug or substance. It was a sad and tragic fate for the victim of the crime because she was just a young student on her way home from school when the crime happened.

Have you ever experienced addiction related crime before?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I lived in northern Australia, there were many so called "dry communities" around me, where the consumption of alcohol was strictly forbidden. Members of the communities, and also visitors to the communities, who were caught with alcohol in their car, would be warned at first. If they re-offended, they would be fined up to $180 000. The Elders in these Aboriginal communities made absolutely sure that alcohol was kept out at all costs, as the violence and brutality is almost uncontrollable in certain isolated places. The concept works very well. People feel safer living in an alcohol-free environment. I wished that more white communities would follow this example.
    gracer likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Addiction related crime is probably the biggest form of crime around at the moment.

Where I'm from, I don't think people commit crime to get rich or take things they can't afford to buy themselves, it's to fuel a drug or drink addiction.
    gracer likes this.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m also from an area where much of the crime is drug-related, at least in part. They may appear to be motivated by something else on the surface, but it’s usually about getting drug money. A lot of it goes unreported too, such as welfare fraud which is something one of my neighbors is currently getting away with.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

Wow! Your story shows that certain things can be possible if people unite for the good of many. The people in those "dry communities" are so admirable for their efforts in creating an alcohol-free area. Imagine if we all lived in a world without vices or drugs, crimes would be down by a big percentage.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't have any personal experiences about addiction-related crimes, but I always see those kind of crimes everyday in the news. Like this girl who was autistic got raped or molested because of drugs, or this old lady that got robbed and killed because of drugs, etc. Even alcohol is enough to make a person commit crime because it lessens the person's inhibitions.
    gracer likes this.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never experienced any drug-related crime/incident before, but I know how drugs can badly affect one's mind and actions. A person under the influence of a certain substance could be delusional and prone to violence and anger. I remember the news before about a father who killed his own daughter because he was too high on cocaine. It was really horrible.
    gracer likes this.
  8. AM1127

AM1127 Member

I am very saddened by what happened to that woman. It is a shame how drugs and alcohol can cause some people to act. I don't know if this qualifies as a addiction related crime, but I have had several family members steal from me to support their habits. Those who are substance abusers will go to great lengths to get their next fix. It is truly sad.
    gracer likes this.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

In numerous cities most drug addicts can't find work. Just a look at their appearance and the prospective employers would [not politely] ask them to leave. But they need a "fix" and to get it they'll need money. Most addicts for that reason must commit crimes be it mugging, robbery, etc to get the money to buy drugs. It's the norm, almost everywhere.

I know someone who was paid a little money to dispose a body and was consequently arrested and jailed for assisting the murderer. Had he not needed that money to get drugs, he wouldn't be in jail today.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

My brother-in-law is pretty much the most hated criminal (by the police) in my city and has been for the last ten years. He always turns to crime to feed his addiction and he's been in and out of prison numerous times; he doesn't care. Some of the things he has done and the people he has targeted is shocking. I think a very large percentage of crime is linked to addiction or illegal substances in some way. Now the UK government are threatening to take medical help and welfare benefits away from people who show signs of drug addiction. Of course, that still leaves them with no other option but to turn to crime.
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    gracer likes this.
  11. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

My Jeep and my mother's Cadillac were totaled by a guy being chased by the state ohio patrol several years ago. We both were left without vehicles because the guy was driving a rental car. We found out that he was wanted for drug charges so our loss became one of the lesser charges and was dropped.

An earlier time my apartment was broken into while I was at work and my sons were in school. The neighborhood that we lived in had become swamped with drug selling almost at every corner. I was upset of course but was grateful that no one was at home.

I learned then that you never know who is watching you and waiting for the opportunity to do something like that.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Jesse

Jesse Member

One of my friends ended up in jail because she robbed a store with a needle. She's actually the sweetest girl, she would never hurt a fly. But her addiction fueled her to do something she normally wouldn't do. I've also stolen from my parents. I would take their gold jewelry and sell it to get drugs. It's scary how addiction will completely change you as a person and make you do things you'd never normally do.
    gracer likes this.
  13. princepts

princepts Member

I know all to well the depths addiction can spiral a person. I robbed a pharmacy in 2005. I ended up doing 40 months for my crime. I was one of the fortunate few who ended up living. Many cases prove the bloodthirsty beast that addiction truly is. It is merciless.
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

It's really sad to hear all these stories about crimes committed because of addiction. Even innocent souls could sometimes turn into criminals once addiction overpowers them. It's sad how many lives are destroyed because of being influenced by a drug or substance. Most of the time, the one who's addicted is not the only one whose life is damaged and that's what makes it even worse.