An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Beauty?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by gracer, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Corten

Corten Member

I think this is one of the main issues, the media is telling you to be beautiful in order to be successful. That's not how it is, you can achieve anything with hard work and dedication. Sadly, most people are lazy, I am, I need some serious motivation to do something.
    gracer likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

So true about Cindy Crawford - her mole really did become her trademark look, and I actually think it makes her look more beautiful and unique! I really think those unique things about us are where true beauty is found - and in our actions towards others! There's too much focus on external rather than internal beauty these days!
    gracer likes this.
  3. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

The problem is, people who have already done it may not necessarily admit and lie and say you need it and it's important to have one, but I'm sure there are a lot of accounts out there that prove it's bad. Besides, what's to think about whether it's bad or not? When it comes to messing up your natural body, people should already know by common sense it's unnatural, it's not real and it's harmful.
    gracer and zaerine like this.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, common sense should be applied. :)
    Some are really willing to risk their health and even life for the sake of being beautiful. They should put in mind that anything in excess is bad even in making themselves beautiful.
    gracer likes this.
  5. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I know many people who are like that, they are extremely addicted to beauty and they go as far as to wear fake eye lashes (which really creep me out). But honestly, what is the definition of beauty? Does it necessarily have to be with appearances? Due to things such as the public and the media, girls especially are those who are very addicted to beauty. I don't know anyone who has undergone plastic surgery, but laser treatment, yes. If an individual wants to lose weight to be more healthy, that is something different I think because they can harm themselves if they do not become as healthy as possible. But those who want perfect eyes brows and the perfect smile, they're not harming anyone except their bank accounts.
    gracer likes this.
  6. kylerlittle

It's very sad though, but the fact that common sense is "common", it means not everyone has it. I really feel bad for those who are willing to do anything for their body image.
    gracer likes this.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have an acquaintance who in the past suffered from anorexia bulimia. She was and still is obsessed with her self-image. In her own eyes she is ugly and fat, and nobody and nothing can convince her otherwise. She has tried hypnotherapy, counseling and other methods to try and deal with her issues, all with a minimum of success. Three years ago she got married, and her husband was able to help her accept herself better and improve her self-image. But it didn't stop her from having breast implants, plasma therapy, aesthetic dental surgery, and much more. She is in her mid thirties now, and the more mature she gets, the more obsessed she becomes with her gradually aging body.
    gracer likes this.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Some people really do ruin themselves in the quest for "beauty", don't they! I cannot understand it myself, I can only assume that people think that if they look perfect, all thier problems will go away. Sadly, this isn't the case.
    gracer likes this.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

That is not an addiction but when you want to engage in a beauty contest. Being beautiful is not a problem but there is a problem if you spend a lot of time to beautify yourself. I you have any other work to do then you need to concentrate on that first.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

gracer Community Champion

That is sad. :-( I don't know but I somehow feel sad for people who seem so obsessed with outward beauty. It's not wrong to wear make up and pamper yourself every now and then but it's just so depressing to see how others go to extremes so they could feel beautiful. But the thing is, no matter how many implants or surgeries they go through they just don't 'feel' they're beautiful. To be truly beautiful means you have to 'feel' it in you and your beauty will automatically shine. I just wonder how your friend's husband feels about her actions. It's not just physically changing her but it's also economically affecting her I assume.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You are right. Maybe too much commercialization of those beauty surgical procedures can also affect or influence those who are getting too much into it.
    gracer likes this.
  12. kylerlittle

Absolutely. It's sad and it really hurts people. Once I have a daughter I will protect her from all of those things, it's really sick.
    gracer likes this.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I personally think you must accept your age/situation and go on with your life. Trying to mask yourself and appear younger is a heedless decision I'd say, but that's just me. I wouldn't know how women feel toward being beautiful all the time, even when their age doesn't allow it, but I would still say they should reconsider their options.
  14. kylerlittle

True beauty is when they are themselves and have someone who actually cares for them for how they are, not the effort they are able to make, and surgeries or whatnot.
    gracer likes this.
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Today we are in a world where both women and men wants to looks attractive and beautiful in the eyes of other people that is why they will do and try everything at any cost just to enhance their appearances. But for me whatever beauty God had given me I am already thankful and satisfied for this blessing. The beauty in physical looks is useless if you had a poor heart, bad moral values and behavior that will make you look ugly in the eyes of other people. Even you spent so much to those beauty treatments and products just for the sake to look more beautiful just remember that it is only temporary. Our physical looks fades away with the passage of time as we grow older and we cannot deny that. For me I want to grow old gracefully with my own natural looks.
    gracer likes this.
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Hollywood puts so much pressure on people to be as skinny as bean poles and to look 20 years old when they are 50. Beauty comes at high costs both to your wallet and your overall health. As long as you are clean and we'll kept, you can be beautiful while still embracing your true age.
    gracer likes this.
  17. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Beautiful words! :) You're so right Amy. Physical beauty no matter how much you enhance it will eventually fade with the passing of time. What's important is the beauty that a person has from within. I myself have learned to accept that the imperfections I have are just but skin deep. I will never change anything and just gracefully age with time. It is the natural way of life. :)
    ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  18. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I sometimes think that I'm addicted to beauty. I can't get out of my house to even walk my dog without loads of makeup on my face. I don't really have problems with my body, because I'm not overweight, I'm a little underweight.
    Lately I have read about many disorders, and I have released that Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) has much to do with me and about how I feel bad about my face, hair, skin, but on the other hand a lot of people tell me that I'm beautiful without makeup, even unknown strangers. I have always been a person with a lack of confidence and low self esteem, could that be the problem?
  19. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

At the end of the day, intelligence and living a fulfilled life is what makes people beautiful. If you are living the best life you can live and are being good to others, your physical appearance does not matter; it is all vanity.
    gracer likes this.
  20. harold

harold Community Champion

The obsession of wanting to look young and beautiful is a problem that has taken over society like a storm. People are never happy with the way they look. After the surgery, they are still never contented. It is really a problem. The whole cause of this problem is low self-esteem as you had already indicated. I do not believe that everyone will ever appreciate one person as being perfect no matter the number of plastic surgeries the person goes through. There are people who will always have a different definition of beauty other than the one you have, and there are others who will admire and love your looks irrespective of whether you have been though a plastic surgery or not. I for one, prefers to admire someone who has not added anything to her God given beauty. Self-confidence is a vital aspect of live and should be manifested by everyone. All these surgeries are aimed at having more people admiring their beauty. If someone cannot love you the way you look, then that person is not a good friend or worthy admirer.
    gracer likes this.