An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Beauty?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by gracer, Apr 30, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @Lizel! :) Yes, I think the lack of confidence to oneself is one of the major cause of wanting to look good on the outside. It's not a bad thing to want to look good so you would look pleasant in other people's eyes, but when a person already becomes so obsessed in wanting to impress others it will no longer be healthy.

If we get so consumed by wanting others to see us as physically beautiful and perfect, that's when the problem starts. As what @harold has said, no matter how many times we undergo changes in our physical selves if we don't get contented, we will never stop.

Contentment to oneself and to what has been given to you is the key to real happiness and acceptance of yourself. We should not focus on wanting to impress others because their views are not the most important. Your own view about your own self is the most important view of all.

As long we see our true beauty, which is never really physical, it will brightly radiate outside for others to see and appreciate. Let's try to look for the beauty we have from within first, and our natural beauty will exude. :)
  2. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I want to look better, but not to the point of addiction. I did get a bunch of acne medication from the doctor and some dermatologist recommended lotions for my peeling skin, but that's about it. I hope it doesn't turn into a bigger issue.
    gracer likes this.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I do not know anyone personally that does cosmetic surgery. The only ones I know of are celebrities or rich people because cosmetic surgery is really an expensive beauty treatment. Being able to afford one would mean you are really upper class.

Does this mean that it is right to have some parts of you that you do not like be altered? There is really no answer to that. For some, it might be okay and for others not. Beauty is subjective, even plastic beauty.

As for me, I know for sure that I am not one to go under the knife. I do have a lot of flaws, who does not? But I am okay with my flaws. I am not condemning people who do go under the knife, it is their life and their choice.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, this might sound odd, but I always thought my aunt didn't care what she looked like. I had no idea she was so depressed either, apparently all those years she wasn't as confident as she wanted us to believe. Why I say that? Well, I often thought she was so bold, and kinda rude... willing to do anything to get what she wanted, didn't hesitate to step on others to get it. So I thought she was so confident (and plain nasty as well - sorry, truth is she did terrible things, but won't talk about that here).

Well, in the last years she has had so many surgeries she looks like a totally different person. She is no longer a massive woman, she is now thin. She has also changed the shape of her face! She still has the same nasty personality (mean, no ethics, pushy, rude, threatening people, despotic, etc. ) though. I guess she is addicted to beauty.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  5. Coolkidhere

I also have an aunt who is like this. In front of my friends, she humiliates me and tells them of all my shortcomings. She belittles all my decisions in life. It is only her who has the right ideas, for her.

Then she and her husband got separated. You know, she changed and now she does not act like a know it all anymore. She became nicer actually. Probably, it was her relationship with her husband that made her have a bad attitude.
    gracer likes this.
  6. Tremmie

Glad to hear your aunt changed! Maybe she was just a bitter, as you said. Sadly mine will never change, she has always been like this, when she was 18 she got caught for running a scam! I believe she is a sociopath. She threatens people and swears on them if she doesn't get what she wants, she is only kind at her work, but outside she is a real pain in the butt.

She is horrible, she left my grandpa homeless, he had his own place, she convinced him to sell it telling him he'd be living with her forever. She dumped it at a nursing home, we took him in, she convinced him to leave us and go with her, she did the same again... now he is in a nursing home again. My mom had the hardest time when she started visiting him, because they didn't want her to see him.

By the way, she kept all the money from that house she told my grandpa to sell, and now my oldest sister steal all the money of his pension, she doesn't even take him something extra to eat, like for example some cookies or a bit juice. My mom is the one who takes those things to him.

That is just one of the horrid rotten things she has done, she loves to rip people off.
  7. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

it so sad when someone can't see how beautiful they are. Any celebrity I've seen before and after cosmetic surgery ends up a lot less beautiful than when they started out.
    gracer likes this.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I guess the kind of world we live in nowadays places too much importance on beauty. I personally wouldn't mind looking good because it does make you feel better about yourself. Dressing up, for instance, has an empowering effect on the human psyche. You just have to set a limit. Know when and when not to use beauty to your advantage. There are people who use it to manipulate others or get what they want instantly.

As many have already pointed out, addiction to beauty is simply a sign of insecurity. That person may badly want to prove something or is trying to cover up her flaws or traumas. A little help from family, peers and colleagues would be in order.
    gracer and Coolkidhere like this.
  9. LilAnn

I can look at anyone and see how beautiful they are. I wish some of these people could see what I see, instead of what they've been programmed to see.
  10. Coolkidhere

I pity your grandfather! Good thing, he has you and your mom to care for him. And your grandfather must also love your evil aunt so much since he was fooled by her over and over again. Which is really disappointing as she just used him to get his money. I do not understand how people can just do this to their supposed to other half.
    Tremmie and gracer like this.
  11. Coolkidhere

You are very right. There has to be limits in wanting to look good. When your appearance has changed so much that you do not even look like the old you, then you need to step back and reevaluate your thinking. Too much of something is never good. You may end up being an entire different unrecognizable person.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Coolkidhere

I love this! I know someone who can look at anyone and just insult them from head to toe. Seriously, I have never heard him praise people physically. I never know what is wrong with his way of thinking, he is just built this way which is really sad.
    gracer likes this.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m someone who does take pride in my appearance, and I can admit that it first stemmed from low self-esteem. I felt it was one of my few quantifiable assets, so I should milk it for all it was worth. Not that I ever went overboard or anything; no cosmetic surgery, nor would I have gotten it if I could have afforded it.

I’ve since remembered that there’s so much more to me than the way I look. Not to mention, impressing people with my looks will never eliminate my problems. Sometimes it can create more problems, in fact. But I still find it fun to play around and express myself via makeup and dressing up, so now I look at it as a way to appreciate what I have (while I still have it!), as well as remind myself that there are other things about me that are worth appreciating. Ultimately, appearance is just one facet of a person.
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

gracer Community Champion

You're so right LilAnn. :) I believe that no one in this world was born ugly. We were all born with our own unique beauty and all we really need to do is find that beauty within us. If we see look at ourselves and see the real beauty that we possess, we would never have to look further in search for satisfaction with the way we look. Even our flaws can turn into beautiful things if we only learn to see that what has been given to us is what we should treasure and take care of.
    LilAnn likes this.
  15. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I see nothing beautiful about a fake female. These woman on t.v etc...have no clue what real looks consist of. Besides being a pretty person on the inside is beautiful HELLO:rolleyes:
    LilAnn and gracer like this.
  16. Tremmie

You are spot on! He DOES love her like crazy :( Despite all that he expresses in a very positive way when he talks about her. It's like he doesn't really care she fooled him, now he is having such a bad time living in that nursing home, he could have been so happy living at home. If not his own home, ours. But now he suffers from depression. My mom feels kinda hurt because he has always seemed to prefer my aunt (she is adopted, by the way) and often leaves my mom out.

I'm glad your aunt no longer humiliates you, that it's horrible. I was recently humiliated by my fiance's sister on Facebook with a picture she took of me and posted without my permission. Needless to say I don't fancy her ever since, lol.
    gracer likes this.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've heard of this kind of addiction. I was listening to someone talking about this kind of addiction on the radio. This lady on the radio was saying her surgeon kicked her out of his office because she was doing to much and didn't want to do any more work on her. This can be unhealthy and dangerous to an extent. Liposuction has killed people. But this isn't illegal and people can do what they want with there own bodies. From what I've heard this can be addictive.
  18. Coolkidhere

Love can really be a strange thing sometimes. It makes us do things we are not supposed to. I wish your grandfather can see past your aunt's motives and realize that his real family is you and your mom. It is very common for men or women to be blinded by their love for their spouses.

I am glad too lol. We always have her at our house now and she adores my son. Oh my gosh, sisters in law and mothers in law do that to their brother's fiance or wife most of the time. My MIL comments about my weight all the time when she is in fact heavier than me lol. I just got used to it. Maybe you will too lol. It will take time.
    gracer likes this.
  19. Coolkidhere

I admire her doctor as he was able to refuse her requests just to make money. Many doctors nowadays do not really care about their patients especially if they can earn money from them. Cosmetic surgeons should tell their patients when it should be enough for them to stop their surgeries. They know if it is too much anyway since they are the experts.
    gracer likes this.
  20. LilAnn

you're right. The plastic surgery and 10 pounds of makeup always makes people look fake. I can't see someone who has gotten obvius cosmetic surgery, and all I can think about is Micheal Jackson