An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

addiction to beer vs. hard alcohol

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by seatones, Aug 27, 2015.

1. seatones

seatones Member

Do you guys believe that one is more severe than the other? I think a lot of times beer is seen as something that is more acceptable to drink on a regular basis, whereas people who drink hard alcohol regularly are alcoholics.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think beer is not as bad as hard alcohol but can be addictive. You can become alcoholic from beer as much as you can from any other type of alcohol. I still think hard liquor is more addictive. The thing about any alcohol is to do it in moderation. I don't recommend any one trying to ween themselves off hard liquor by using beer instead.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I believe that one is as bad as the other when it comes to alcoholism and addiction. My partner main drink is beer and when he drinks he drinks excessively. It is every bit as bad as hard liquor. It has the same damaging effects on relationships with family, friends and spouses. For me beer has done so much damage to our relationship and even though he knows that he continues to drink beer. He tells.me that it's only beer and makes all kinds of excuses but he depends on it and he could never go more then a few days without being drunk.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Both have alcohol in them and are highly addictive. Hard liquor is of course the stronger of the two and can get you drunk faster. That is probably why it is looked down upon as opposed to the social beer drinker.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Both are bad but depending on the consumption one can be worse than the other [initially that is]. People who drink hard liquor regularly are more likely to start feeling the negative effects of excessive consumption of liquor sooner than someone who drinks beer excessively.

However since both get you the same end result . . .
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As for me, both of them could make a person an addict so there is really no such thing as which is stronger or which one could make an alcoholic out of you easily. Alcohol is not the problem/issue here, but those people who are consuming them.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think both beer addiction and hard drinks addiction are bad as any addiction is bad. Although you are right that it seems more acceptable to drink beer than hard drinks on a regular basis for some.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Whether it is beer or spirits, the resulting alcohol addiction is still the same. Some people I know do like to kid themselves into thinking that beer every day is OK simply because it isn't spirits. It's like saying low-tar cigarettes are safer than ones with a high tar content. They aren't. They are just as dangerous.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think is the exact same problem, beer contains alcohol, not that much as "hard alcohol" but at the end of the day it's still alcohol and it provokes the same damages to your body that hard alcohol does, and I think that if you are addicted to beer, you can easily jump to hard alcohol... Take care of yourself.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I used to drink vodka and whiskey and let me tell you that stuff is in a different league. Vodka can get you very drunk fast (depending on your genetic make up), same with whiskey. With beers... I'd need a lot in order to get drunk. So I always avoided them at all costs. I never got drunk enough with beers, but hard alcohol... that stuff can surely induce a black out when you least expect it.

But then again, while you are under the influence of beer a lot awful things can happen. I know a guy who had an accident just outside his working pace! He had been drinking beer, he died.
  11. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I think both are just as bad. I grew up in a family of alchoholics and beer was the drink of choice. There was violence, there was drunk driving, there was chaos. It was probably one of the worst situations I could've been in. All because of beer. I do believe that my dad drinking beer helped him escape the alchoholics label when I was young. No one saw having beers after dinner as wrong, whereas if it was vodka or something else - it might have raised a red flag.
  12. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

No difference of the two to me! Both end up messing up an individual's life much the same way. My advice is to simply steer of them both.
  13. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I think that addiction to beer is a bit more softer than the one of hard alchoolic and also less dangerous because beer don't really destroy the stomach while hard alchoolic could bring also to a alcohol coma which could be even deadly.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

They both have a ton of garbage in them. You want to drink a fish bladder. This is what is in most beers. Yummy fish pee. Lol. Liqueur well, I'll let you imagine what is in there.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

To me, alcohol is alcohol. Some people think beer is the lesser of the evils out there, but when you think about the social acceptability of beer then you're left wondering if it's in fact worse. People don't often question how much beer a person is drinking because it seems so normal to many of us.
  16. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm with @kassie1234 on this one. Alcohol is alcohol. Just because you have to drink more beer than hard liquor in order to get drunk, it doesn't mean one is better or worse than the other. The end result is the same.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  17. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

My husband doesn't get drunk when he's drinking hard alcohol. But easily gets drunk on beer. Weird, huh? So I guess it depends on the person's capacity to be drunk in any of the two alcoholic beverages. Again, the amount of alcohol drank also matters. So for my husband, it's better for him to be drinking hard liquor than beer as he doesn't get wasted with the former.

That being said, alcohol is still alcohol. It's still not really healthy to be addicted to any type of it. Moderation is the key here. When you drink in excess, you may suffer the consequences. Always try to drink in moderation and only when there is an occasion.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think there's more of a stigma attached to people who drink the harder drinks than somebody who just as a few beers.

At the end of the day though alcohol is alcohol, and if you drink a lot of it then an addiction will form. Only by that time not only will you want a drink, a drink that doesn't do you any good, but you'll NEED one.
  19. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

If its causing a problem in your life then it is a problem, simple. It does not make a bit of difference if it is beer or if it is hard alcohol. I have met so many people with alcohol abuse issues who think that they have it under control because they have switched to drinking just beer. What a crock. It's still alcohol and you are going to consume whatever it takes to get you to the level you want to be whether that be 10 beers of 6 hi balls. Its just like the hierarchy among drug users. There are those who think that people who smoke a drug are better than people who inject a drug and people who snort a drug think they are better than people who smoke a drug, but you know what, they all have the same problem and they are all suffering the same way.
    The only difference between beer and hard alcohol is the amount of liquid you have to consume.
  20. Lin

Lin Member

Drinking Beer is more acceptable in society. At the same time, it is still a substance that we could get addicted to. I think it is as equally dangerous as alcohol, depending on the measure that we consume.