An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

addiction to beer vs. hard alcohol

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by seatones, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

I surmise that alcohol is more severe than beer. There are some substances that just have a tendency to lead to addiction. I would say the gravity or the feeling that comes along with it keeps you coming for more. It's easy to stop drinking beer, but harder to stop drinking alcohol.
  2. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

That's right. We've got different kinds of beers with different levels of alcohol percentage. But the fact that alcohol is in them means that the drinker is susceptible to getting drunk and addicted. Alcohol by itself is an addictive substance.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

While beer is less likely to make someone drunk, it's also easier to get your hands on. It may be unbelievable, but in my area most "alcoholics" consume beer more often than any other alcoholic drink. They also drink it until they puke, as larger amounts are required to get drunk (I have never understood why people like drinking until they can't walk anymore). They are both equally worse, but one is just more expensive than the other.
  4. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

The level of addictiveness of a substance is important yes. A sniff of cocaine could make you an addict in a split second. However you are correct when you say it depends on the individual. At the end of the day we can all drink alcohol and find that some of us will never get hooked. As a matter of fact, alcohol may be distasteful for many of us.
  5. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Beer has become mainstream acceptable in the eyes of the world to drink. Hard liquor is judged more harshly. But really they're the same in the sense of addiction. The hard liquor might make you act more terrible, but either way, they're bad and have devastating effects on people's lives.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, the price speaks for itself, beer is less potent as compared to hard alcohol that is more expensive, but both variants, when taken excessively are harmful to the person.
  7. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

I think it's the same damn thing, the only difference is that hard alcohol gets you drunk faster. Then again, beer usually goes down smoother, which makes you end up drinking more than you should, so beer is pretty damn bad too.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think it depends on the consumption. Both are still bad if not taken into moderation. I started with hard alcoholic drinks when I was young. And I drank almost every day. Then as I grew older, I shifted to beer. Then wine and cocktails. But now, I limit myself up to only 2 glasses. That's it.
  9. layton

layton Member

I believe that alcohol is alcohol. I think that regardless if it is hard liqueur or not it is still bad for you. Drug abuse can destroy families. People should be wary of the amount of alcohol they drink despite what kind it is. Alcohol is never the answer.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It is just as easy to get addicted to beer. I used to know someone that her father drank a case a day. I mean who wouldn't call that an addict? Although, at one time, I didn't think it was all that bad. I don't know how he found time to, or was able to work with drinking that amount. Anyway, I am not sure if it does as much damage to the body, but it is highly caloric so weight is most likely going to be an issue.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I think the addiction to beer is more psychological than physical, because they go grab a beer when they're stressed out and need to relax.
  12. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I believe that any substance that one relies too heavily on is a problem. Whether the substance is beer, hard liquor, or other drugs, it does not really matter. Anytime someone uses any of these substances heavily they are risking their health. I agree with previous posters, in that beer seems more socially acceptable. However, it is just as easy for someone to have a drinking problem while relying on beer as it is hard liquor or even wine.