An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to fear of failure

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by whitenoise, Jun 2, 2015.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Hi guys I don't know if it's an addiction or what but I always have a fear of failure in all things I cope with. For example if I know that there is something which I can't do then a sense of fear starts to go through me.. it's weird but do you feel the same some times?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I could feel that sometimes and I think that is just normal to have fear to fail. But not to the extent that it affects your life or hinder you to grow. Better to be determined and overcome fear especially if it is for a good reason.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

For the longest time, I had an extreme fear of failure and it kept me from taking risks that would ultimately better my life. I was scared to start my own business or give ideas for fear that I would not succeed in the end. The only way to really get passed it is to go out and actually fail at something. The bad feeling eventually goes away and you will learn to be more of a risk taker.
    Lizel and whitenoise like this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That feeling of constant failure is called "Anxiety" and it's easily solvable if you have a strong mindset. Try to not worry too much about failure, because even if you think about it it still wouldn't change the outcome.
    Some things are meant to happen and you can't stop them. Focus on the present and yourself, good things will come around eventually.
  5. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Thanks brother, I will sure try to use your suggestions and I'll let you know.
    You got the point actually. The feelings are the same and at the moment I am working on them to try to overcome the troubles I have about socializing cause by this fear of failure.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think so when we do a test or, even doing a driving one can be scary as a person tends to think of the negatives more than the positives and, trying to make some changes and practicing can lead to passing a test which brings good results. Sometimes the fear we think about, exists only because we let it or we dwell on failure and that worries us which can happen,to anyone and even I have at times been through it, and when I passed or succeeded at what was bothering me than I could relax and move on and not have to worry anymore. I think that a person should try new things and learn from the mistakes, and try and do better next time and do not have to be alone and can talk to others and overcome the anxiety they are feeling inside and let it out so it does not consume them.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Most people struggle with this, but some find it easier to push past the fear, or face it, and take the risk that they’ll fail. I used to be the type who would let my fears control me, thereby avoiding taking risks. Fears and anxiety do still crop up pretty often for me, but I feel like I’ve gotten better about facing it. So I would also agree that the best course of action is just to do something, and try not to get too attached to an outcome. And if you fail, remember that we’ve all failed in many ways too, it just means you’re human.
  8. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

It is a fear or phobia, rather than an addiction. As a matter of fact, that fear/phobia can be the catalyst for an addiction
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When I was still a student during my elementary and high school days I always had this feeling of fear that I will fail and will not excel in my school works and activities. This is the reason why I do not had academic achievements like my other siblings. And this always makes me frustrated in my studies. But when I was already in College I became more matured enough in my views in life and I had learned to overcome all my fears to failures which made me a better person up to now.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that I am afraid of failure too but I wouldn't call it an addiction. It's just a distorted way of thinking.
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Sometimes I feel like this too especially seeing all my batchmates leading such successful careers than me. But somehow, I learned that fearing failure is equivalent to failing. Do not let your fears take the best of you. If today you feel like you failed, there is always tomorrow and I am sure you will do better then!
  12. LilAnn

I wouldn't call it an addiction, either. If you think about it, the fear wouldn't be what was addictive, anyway. Winning or coming out ahead would be the true desire. But I wouldn't call it an addiction.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I am not sure you could call that an addiction to be honest... Because those feelings of fear are something you don't have control of. With an addiction you have the choice to drop the cigarette, the bottle, etc. You do have some control, even though it seems a bit limited, but you do. With fear... well, most of the times you have zero control and it happens all of a sudden. You never know when it will happen next.

I really think you have an anxiety problem. If i were you I'd analyze the moments when you start experiencing this. If they are work, family, love related.
  14. LilAnn

I agree with Tremmie. It never occurred to me before, but after I read it I think it makes the most sense, that its an anxiety issue. That can be really bad for you, too.
  15. mcvetko3

mcvetko3 Member

I agree with Tremmie and others that it is not an addiction, since to be addicted to something means to actually want something and you probably don't want to feel this fear. Regarding anxiety it is a pretty common problem in western society (probably others, but I have no experience) and can be treated in variety of ways. Mindfulness has been pretty popular lately, I don't know if you heard about it, but it is supposed to help with anxiety.
  16. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Once I read somewhere in a book of affirmations "Feel the fear, and do it anyway." I've always lived by that saying. I used to sometimes get sick with stomach cramps from certain fears, but I went through everything that I had to do, and I am glad I did it, as every time I overcame another challenge, I grew stronger.
    We are all afraid of failure at certain stages in our lives, but so what? If we fail, we will simply get up again and try harder. No?
  17. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I don't think that anybody truly likes to feel as though they have failed, however when that feeling starts to become overwhelming, it can certainly be a bit of a problem indeed. If you get counselling at all, you should mention this fear of failure at your appointments, because it really can cause issues in the future that you should start to deal with as soon as you possibly can. Once you get over the fear of failure, you will be able to enjoy things in your life a lot more.
  18. LilAnn

I really like that. I think I may have to be more mindful of it. Thats how you build character!
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is fairly common. It can be daunting. The addiction lies in the fear not in what you are afraid to do. Your body physically looks for ways to feel this emotion and your mind goes for it. You set yourself up to feel that fear.
    It is like anger or rage. This kind is addicted to the way it makes them feel. Much like getting upset all the time as if these things always happen.
    All you need to do is re-wire your system. When you feel this way find something to do to distract your mind from letting yourself go that way. The fear will disappear if you change your focus. Focus on the good.
  20. LilAnn

Its unfortunate that we can't rewire someone else's system.