An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Food?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by frogsandlegos, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, I think being obsessive over anything can prove to be destructive not only to the one doing it but to those around them. Whether it is food, drugs, or even political and religious beliefs, going to the extremes and shutting yourself off from outside information and opinion can prove to be very unhealthy.
  2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I once decided that I was eating too much and started to eat less. What I did was to repress the desire, so it burst and I started eating like never. We should be very careful with what we eat...
  3. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Addiction to food may be caused by certain stressors, to some point. This type of addiction is very relative and is very easy to reach. However, discipline and balanced lifestyle will turn this idea off.
  4. Gelsemium

I think that if we have a balanced life this will not happen, but like you say bourge, stress or trauma can easily cause this disorder and obesity is the next step.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think in a lot of cases this can indeed be considerably worse than alcohol addiction in some cases. I remember watching a documentary where the guy did an experiment by eating nothing but McDonalds for three months - proper junk food I know, but he basically nearly killed himself within those three months.
  6. Gelsemium

Ouch, I don't know if that is an addiction Sparkster, I mean, the guy was conducting an insane experience, so that was some sort of mental disorder not addiction.
  7. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

This is another commonly named "addiction". I feel that this, like so-called "gaming-addiction" is not so much an addiction as a bad habit. Yes, playing video games too much can lead to bad things. If you eat too much you might develop obesity-related diseases. People do eat for other reasons than nutrition. Some people eat out of nervousness, or even boredom. I know when I have a lot of time on my hands I eat more. But I don't feel that these are true addictions.
  8. Gelsemium

Yeah, it can be a choice of words indeed, I feel that an addiction is something that takes over our life, while bad habits are something that don't happen on a daily basis.
  9. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Yes, I believe people can be addicted to food. I've heard it called "self-medicating with food." Some foods give people a minor, short-lived, high, so they want to keep eating to keep getting that high. We've also all heard of "comfort food." Many people overeat searching for that comfort.
  10. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

If it leads to obesity then it is bad. It is bad regardless. Addiction to anything even something as harmless as water will have negative effects. While I myself am not addicted to food, I think I do have a need for some kind of non vegetarian meal once a day otherwise I get cravings and just don't feel right. And not fish. It has to be some type of chicken, beef or pork.
  11. Gelsemium

Many talk about obesity, but eating disorders can be the other way around, like not eating enough, so we need to reach a balance and don't be on the extremes.
  12. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I am sorry that your cousin developed am eating disorder and for your cousins' and your families loss. I like that you called it exactly what it is an eating disorder, I find that people will not see someone who is overweight as having an eating disorder. This is going to come out wrong I think , but people are very judgmental of those who have eating disorders that are underweight were as an overweight person is not judged as harshly as having "chosen to give themselves an eating disorder"
  13. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Being addicted to food can be a very dangerous addiction. Just like alcohol, too much of it is a bad thing. Unhealthy eating leads to obesity and many other health conditions.
  14. Gelsemium

I think that in what food is concerned we should act as natural as possible, not repressing and not eating too much, but I feel that eating disorders are just a consequence of other problems we might have.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

We all have to eat of course. There is nothing wrong with eating a lot healthy foods. But if you're eating foods with high levels of sugar, gluten, wheat, carbs, starches, and GMO laced products, then that's the problem.

You mention the word "overweight". What is overweight exactly? Do you follow the B*llshit BMI index the government released or do you follow what common sense will tell you. I'm about 5'6 and weigh 200 pounds. Does that sound overweight? To most yeah. But I'm not obese, I am of Polynesian decent and we are known to be big people. I have cousins who are 5'10 and 300 pounds. We're not fat, we're just naturally robust people. Done follow what you see on TV.

This is what I eat. I eat only non GMO laced protein including animal fat, lots of raw vegetables, and limited amounts of fruit. Why limited amount of fruits? Because it has fructose, which your body will turn into fat once digested. No salt or sugar added. No carbs or soft drinks.

I usually stuff myself with meat and veggies because it taste good. And guess what? I lost 20 pounds of fat since I stopped eating junk food, and kept all of my muscle. I don't get sick anymore and my allergies have disappeared.

Society will cloud your judgement and the government has been feeding us lies for years because it is more profitable to sell us on addictive unhealthy foods (commodities market) then it is to keep us healthy and away from the hospitals, which they also make money on when we get sick from the food they've been feeding us.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I am addicted to food, I suffer from an addictive personally and once I get rid of an addiction another one comes to take its place. My life is more under control right now tho, my food addictions doesn't drive me to do things I'll later regret (other than binge eating). Actually my food addiction had bee stable for a while, but last year I went a bit overboard and gained a bit weight, lol.

I am trying to lose it right now, I know I can, but controlling my appetite seems harder. I am getting some help from other small addictions tho... like for example playing a video game. I can completely forget about eating and food while I play a game. I guess I am just very bored? I am confined to my bed right now, but once my health is better I plan to get a job outside home. I am really looking forward to a normal life :'(
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

This may offend some people so [TRIGGER WARNING]:

I find addiction to food, (fat) people who don't care about their body and health, and also the general pride to be fat disgusting. Many people use the excuse that it's genetic for them, but that's like 1 in 1000 cases. The truth is that they are just too lazy to do something else than stuffing their mouth with food. That's why "Fat Pride" exists.

[/TRIGGER WARNING]
  18. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Congratulations on losing the weight! You'll have to fill me in on how you did it. ;)
    It is another eating disorder, isn't it? It fits the definition of addiction, too. The difference is you aren't being taught in school to just say no, or watching commercials about it ruining your life, or even finding a warning on the side of a pack of twinkles that it could cause knee problems, back or ankle problems, and raise your cholesterol and blood pressure to the point that you have a heart attack. You hear about bad foods all the time, yes, but it isn't the same. So it's easier to get caught up in it.
  19. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Wow! That has got to be the most offensive post I have ever read on this site. Kudos for that.

Guess what. I'm fat. I'm by no means lazy. I take care of a total of 16 animals, by myself, everyday. I'm taking some college classes, I take care of kids and husband as far as dinner, laundry, cleaning the house, grocery lists (I make out a monthly menu the day before into grocery shopping so I can make sure we don't have repeats too close together), i take at least one dog for a 30 minute walk everyday, and I come here so I can get daily reminders that there are decent people in the world. And, now, apparently I can get a reminder there are some really nasty people in the world. Thank you for that.
    And if I still manage to have a little bit of free time I'm learning to crochet.
    I would love to know what you do in a single day. I can only imagine how being really superficial, judgmental, offensive, and ignorant can take up a lot of your time.
    Would you like to know why I have gained a lot of weight in a very short time? I asked, but honestly I don't care if you want to know or not. It's none of your business.
    And, honestly, I had rather be overweight than a total c***.

Oops, I almost forgot... I don't think "trigger" was the word you were looking for.
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Food is a necessity to our everyday life. Without food we will not survive life. And it is just normal if we are eating everyday but if you are already overeating just for pleasure and satisfaction of eating what you want then you are already addicted to foods. Although we all had cravings for foods especially if it our favorite foods, we must take into consideration that we must eat only at the right time and in the right amount only. Overeating or over consumption of foods may lead to some health issues that can be threatening in the long run in our life.