An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Food?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by frogsandlegos, Nov 3, 2014.

1. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I don't believe that eating for pleasure is normally the big issue. Sometimes it is. If you have a tub of ice cream and you eat several bowls throughout the day, then yes its a problem. But I think that is typically coupled with something else... depression, thyroid, munchies, medication, physical disability, etc.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It can be a problem if it affects your health. It is all in how an individual feels about it. Some people have completely embraced it and it emanates from them. I worked with a woman who is full figured. She was so beautiful. It came from inside every inch of her was so lovely you just knew she loved herself. It's like Oprah. She struggled with it. When you look at her now yes you see she is over weight. She radiates such a gorgeous energy though.
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I'm not addicted to food, but my medication has made me gain some serious weight. I'm trying to lose it because of my trick knees and weak ankles. I had those issues since before I was 2. That's when mom finally took me to the doctor to find out why I would fall every 2 steps. I grew out of it, I thought, until I gained this weight. Now every once in a while, in the middle of taking a step, my knee gives out for now reason.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have heard other people say you eat to live, not the other way around. Food is nothing to be afraid of. It's how you get nutrients for your body. We even have social events surrounding food whether it be religious ( bread and wine representing Jesus' blood and body), a pot luck, a romantic dinner, ect. Some people even make a career out of cooking . But I guess it could be a double edge sword if you really know how to thrown down a good meal and have an addition to food. Balance is key.

I think it's natural if your weight fluctuates a few pounds up or down as you age especially when you have to consider things like hormones playing a role. As long as you are living a good life style, I wouldn't worry about 10 lbs unless you really want to.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Addiction to food can make you become overweight since most foods we eat have a lot of fats. You have to stop your craving for certain foods before you become addicted to them. I remember sometimes back when I used to eat fast foods. I added weight very fast that made me to worry about it. Luckily I managed to avoid eating fatty foods and now I'm not overweight.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it has to do with all the wrong foods. Being addicted to food is just a part of the problem. If your eating habits are bad you'll become unhealthy and overweight. Like eating a heavy meal then sleeping afterwards, this can cause your metabolism to slow down. Eating is okay as long as you do it right. Having the right meal plan and diet can replace a unhealthy eating addiction.
  7. Liv6

Liv6 Member

Certain compounds in non-organic foods can, in fact, dull your taste to healthy, organic foods. Take monosodium glutamate, for example. MSGs are found everywhere--even in ranch dressing. Such salad dressings cause you to lose taste for solely the vegetables in the salad; now, you cannot eat a salad without dressing. That being said, there are obviously unhealthy "junk" foods out on the market that, eaten in excess, can lead to serious health issues down the road: obesity, obstructed arteries, heart disease, decreased stamina, etc. Anything taken in excess can lead to addiction, and food is undoubtedly a prime paradigm.
  8. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Food is comforting sometimes, but it depends how far you take it. We're all kind of addicted to food because we need it and sometimes all people overeat, but it's a matter of how much you control it.