An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to making skin whiter

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Coolkidhere, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

My husband's sister is quite addicted to making her skin white. She has brown skin before and now she is fair skinned already. She regularly takes glutathione capsules or injects it. She uses products with whitening ingredients all the time.

However, she denies using these when questioned. She always says that white is her natural color. So do you think, this is a normal behavior or an addiction too?
  2. xpictoc

xpictoc Member

It's definitely some form of addiction in my opinion. Or more specifically, it's a form of body dismorphism, where you're out of touch with the way your body looks. I'm curious, is your husband's sister asian? Especially in Eastern countries whitening products are big business where the beauty ideal is pale white. I once visited Thailand and had trouble finding sunscreen without added whitening products!
  3. Coolkidhere

Yes she is Asian, Filipino to be exact! I agree, most Eastern countries deem white or fair skin as prettier or as the norm. When in fact, having brown or tanned skin is desirable in America or Europe. Sometimes people want to change many things about how they look even though they look quite normal being their true self.
  4. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Sometimes skin whiteners can do harm to our skin than good. I had read there are those who are using this kind of products when they stop using it the more it gives unsatisfactory results which you might regret that it is better that you have your skin texture before. It never crossed my mind to use any beauty treatments for my skin. I am already contented what God had given me and no need to change it for the sake just to please other people. Natural beauty is still the best!
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it could be due to the person not liking the color they already have and they may see that whiter skin is more appealing than what they already have which is sad to see some people do this. Sometimes the person may be upset with themselves, which can cause them to have negative thinking and the brain may have thoughts which are negative. It can be hard sometimes for a person to have positive thoughts and they may try to change the color of the body to look appealing to others around them.
  6. Coolkidhere

I do agree with you! Though I am quite fair skinned, I do not use whitening products. A simple moisturiser is enough for me.

Sometimes I do feel I am not pretty enough but then I remember that at least I am alive and normal. Some people have more ailments and pains but they do not complain. So what right do I have to complain when I am fine and healthy?
  7. Coolkidhere

I think that is quite sad to have to change yourself so that you can be accepted by other people or even yourself. Loving oneself just the way you are is the greatest gift you can give to you. You are unique and will never be the same as another person. God made you that way because it is what you are meant to be!
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have met people like that, but never that extreme. I think this woman is indeed suffering from an addiction, if it was me I'd be really worried about the potentially harmful chemicals I could be exposing myself too. Worst part is that I don't think your sister in law wants help, because admitting one has a problem is always the first step.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Fair skin is the sexiest skin type ever, so I understand why she is so obsessed with this.

She might have Body Dysmorphic Disorder. This, however, is not unusual and fortunately can be treated easily, with some therapy and good intentions.

And about her lying regarding her use of those substances, I guess she wants to give the impression that she has that natural beauty.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  10. Coolkidhere

She is quite addicted to whitening products that has peeling effects on her skin which has harmful chemicals especially when used in excess! Yeah, she actually does not acknowledge that she is quite addicted to these stuff.
  11. Coolkidhere

Yeah lol she does not even look like her old childhood photos! I almost did not recognize her if my hubby did not tell me that is his sister. I think that is kind of extreme to not look like yourself anymore and claim that you have natural beauty.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

@Coolkidhere ...Yes you absolutely said it right...there is nothing to complain how we looks like and just be thankful what God had given us...And just think there are other people who are not as lucky than we are but still they are living their lives the way they should be...Just be ourselves and do not care what other people will say about our looks...It is our own life and they had their own life too...
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  13. Coolkidhere

Spot on. We sometimes tend to focus on physical beauty that we tend to forget our personality. Beauty is only skin deep and in the end, when it fades, we only have our values and attitudes to hold on to. So what do we do if the only thing we enhanced in our life is our looks?
    ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

@Coolkidhere ..You absolutely said it right!.. External beauty fades away but our inner beauty will not fade away even with the passage of time in our life and it will remain there forever in our hearts...:)
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  15. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Wow that is a weird addiction! Never heard anything like this before. I've always known that people have wanted to become darker and more tanner, but not whiter!
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also knew some who take Gluta and would want to have a fair or whiter skin. But they do not deny using whitening products and cannot deny that to those who knew them for a long time already. Maybe that is an addiction or health problem or just wanting to make herself feel beautiful naturally.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  17. Coolkidhere

In most Asian countries, white skin is perceived as the ideal skin. Many people in my country see white skin as more beautiful and attractive. Hence the need for some to whiten their skins.

In most Western countries, tanned skin is the ideal skin. They view this as the healthy lookin skin. That is why many people tan their skin regularly.

People want what they do not have!
    ZXD22 likes this.
  18. Coolkidhere

I think so too. She probably got teased in school with her natural color. I do know her family teased her about it as their family have this wicked sense of humor.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Teasing or bullying can cause a person think less of herself/himself. Better if she can just ignore that or able to stop the family from teasing her. It is not good to feel less likeable or less loved especially of your own family.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think a lot of people are unsatisfied with their appearances and some people do go to drastic lengths to change it too. Where I live, it's quite the opposite - people try to tan themselves for that golden-bronzed look, rather than have pale white skin.

I think any time we're that unhappy with who we are that we would undertake things that could be detrimental to our health then it is worrying. Sure, it's great to want to work out and eat well to maintain health, but any other sort of changes that aren't to address a specific medical concern worry me.