An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to making skin whiter

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Coolkidhere, Jul 4, 2015.

1. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Your problem kind of reminds me of Michael Jackson's addiction to purity, and it does seem to be like a huge problem if it's left untreated and if it's left the way it is now. This is psychological and mighn't go away very easily, but just ensure she doesn't do stupid things!!!
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yeah, their family is just like that. I am used to it actually. It is like they tease others to feel good about themselves. It is a shame really as even the children are adopting this attitude.
  3. Coolkidhere

It is quite scary especially if they look completely different from the way they looked before. Physical appearance can be enhanced but up to a point only. Extreme measures might be indicative of some mental health problem.
  4. Coolkidhere

I hope she does not. If she gets pregnant she has to stop using all that whitening stuff as it might affect the baby. I seriously wonder how she can stop it when she gets pregnant.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sad to know that there are families and/or people like that. Making someone feel less about themselves will not makes you better. Hope they could realize that before they could hurt or bully more.
  6. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I've heard about addicts that try to make their skin darker, it's actually a pretty common addiction,
    but not about people who are trying to make their skin whiter, eww, how brown skin does look
    nice, white skin looks disgusting.
  7. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I think it's more of an obsession than an addiction because you know, she won't experience withdrawal symptoms if she stopped doing this... But that doesn't mean it's not dangerous, I mean, how long does she really think she can hold on to this. if you're friends with her and care about her you can give her a few compliments like your brown is hot and attractive and you don't need to cause yourself so much trouble...

@koolkidhere: Can you explain what glutathione capsules really do?
  8. Coolkidhere

In our country, people especially women dream to be white skinned. Probably because the media always emphasizes that being fair skinned is beautiful and attractive. As a result, even men desire fair skinned ladies.

That is not to say that there are no brown skinned beauties here. I have had classmates that have very nice tan skin naturally. They look quite exotic among a crowd full of white skinned people.
  9. Coolkidhere

I do try to compliment her and everyone in the family that has brown skin. But they really think that being brown skinned is not attractive.

Glutathione is antioxidant that inhibits the production of melanin. That is why people who take this orally or intravenously will see changes of their skin to a lighter color.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  10. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Here in Poland it's the opposite way, people think that being tanned is being more attractive to other genders.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I did try to make my skin lighter at a time but it was just so hard to keep up with it, I mean I had to use AHA creams at night and sun creams in the morning and I got tired and stopped doing it but this Glutathione seems convieneint, I might try it out.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  12. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I suppose that makes sense. I'm kind of the opposite which is weird lol. I already have tan skin and am looking for more mwahahaha!
  13. Coolkidhere

Tanned golden skin really does look gorgeous. But white skin looks flawless too. I mean, both skin colors are beautiful if only people learn to accept them.

Before, I wanted to be tanned and even sunbathe in the sunlight to get some color on my skin. But I realized now that this is me. I am fair skinned and I should just embrace it. Some say that I am not a true Filipino because of my skin. But I am a true Filipino, in my heart and soul.

Our skin is just a part of us. It does not define who we are. If we learn to be more accepting of ourselves, we would also learn to love others as who they are.
  14. Coolkidhere

Well, this sister in law I have mentioned uses gluthathione but also uses peeling creams and whitening stuff. She really goes all out with whitening her skin.
  15. Coolkidhere

Lol! I know someone who is already fair skinned but also wants more. So she uses papaya soap. But it is a natural whitening soap so it is okay.
  16. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Addiction to "beauty enhancement" is quite common. I have a friend who is addicted to botox. Even though she is suffering from side effects like numbness in her forehead and frequent abnormal twitching of one of her eyelids, she keeps going back every 3-4 months for fresh injections. Nothing will stop her from doing it. I guess one day her face will stay permanently stiff from all that poison, and she won't be needing any more botox, but plastic surgery instead.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've heard of bleaching out your skin. This can be harmful and cause skin disease. If someone is doing this too much they should stop at some point. I think you should just leave your body the way it is. Unless the shades of your skin change naturally you shouldn't mess with it.
  18. Is your husband's sister from the Philippines? I myself am a Filipino and it is very common here in the Philippines for people to take substances in order to achieve a white and fair complexion. Filipinos actually have developed a fixation with whitening products in the past few years. I personally have a friend who goes to this certain spa in Manila to get her glutathione fix through an IV (crazy, right?!) while she has her manicure and pedicure.

It is commonly perceived here in the Philippines that if you have a white and fair complexion, it means that you are a well off individual and of a higher class. This usually implies that you have the luxury to stay at home and not worry about going outside for work, as opposed to rice farmers who have to work all day under the blazing sun to make a living. I think most asian countries have this mindset as well.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  19. rrs4623

rrs4623 Member

Coming from a South Asian background, I have met a good amount of people obsessed with fair skin. It is a natural standard of beauty in that region, and fairness creams (yes, that is a thing) make a lot of money by advertising to teens and women who are darker-skinned. Most of these ads show you that darker skinned people are ugly and do not get jobs, but fair-skinned people are pretty and the world revolves around them.

I think maybe she is being lured into this dangerous idea, that somehow she is not pretty/will be pretty once fair.

If it is due to teasing, then remember, people will tease you about your skin today, legs tomorrow, arms the day after. Learning to love yourself is the best option.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  20. Coolkidhere

@Theonewhoknocks
    Yes she is from the Philippines actually! Though now she is in the US but she still purchased glutathione here and took it with her there. She also does that! She injects glutathione IV but also takes capsules. It really is very extreme just like that person you know.

I think the notion here is that fairer skinned individuals are more attractive. So whitening products are really in demand here. Just like what you said, the whiter the skin, the more rich and elite you look.