An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to making skin whiter

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Coolkidhere, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@rrs4623
    I hate those commercials! I see a beautiful dark skinned lady being transformed to a white one in one commercial. It really brings up a bad notion that dark skin is not beautiful. Media can influence many people. It is really hard to love yourself when you are constantly reminded that you are not perfect until you become their standard of beauty.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I'm African American so I guess you can say I have chocolaty skin :D For the past couple of summers I have been wearing the same sandals in the sun, which us really more like the only pair I own. I now have tan lines on my feet. I wish could tan my feet to get rid of those lines. Let's just say being unevenly tanned bugs me somewhat but not enough to actually do something about it yet. It's not like I'm a model or anything. I also have eczema so taking care of my skin is important and keeping it moisturized.

I think every race has their own features that make them unique and beautiful so I really hate it when I see someone hate their own selves. I like how we can vary from pale white to dark chocolate. It makes life interesting. It also helps serve the purpose of protecting you in the environment you live in. Hence the reason why people who live on hot places usually tend to be darker vs people who are fair skin but live in less sunny locations. So their is a biological aspect to think about not just anesthetic.

I did realize that Asians have a market for whitening products but there are a few blacks that are into it too. I just hope that there are not too many harmful chemicals in this stuff.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@Jasmine2015
    Now that you mention it, I actually have those tan lines on my feet too. It really annoys me too but my son loves playing outdoors so I really cannot get rid of the tan lines. I just pot sunflower oil in my feet hoping it will even out lol.

You are right at that. Our country is a tropical one so brown skinned people benefits more than fair skinned ones. They are more protected from skin cancer because of their skin color. So why fight with nature right?

Yes almost every lotion here has whitening ingredients. So I just buy organic ones like the sunflower oil I mentioned as I do not really want to get any whiter. I think whitening products can be quite harsh especially those soaps that peel the skin.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This is very common in countries where the majority of the inhabitants are not Caucasian. As someone that lives in an African country, I'm dumbfounded why so many black folks, particularly women would try to whiten their skin.

There is a whole industry that has popped up that provides products to whiten skin. Apparently, an African woman is considered more attractive if her skin is of a lighter tone. Personally, I don't buy this as I think all people are unique and beautiful in their own way.
  5. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

She needs to get help for that. It's sad that she isn't happy in her own original skin. And I don't know that this is something that can be reversed either. I don't know how that works, but it'd be really sad if she wakes up and sees her problem and then can't reverse what she's done.
  6. Pluto888

Pluto888 Member

I never got why would people want to change the color of their skin?
  7. lakersgirl

lakersgirl Member

Yeah I know a lot of people who are into whitening their skin. I myself have been trying to do that because I am prone to red splotches on my skin and they undertone in not very healthy. A paler version of me looks better (as weird as it sounds).
    I am not doing it on my own though. I have always been a frequent guest at a dermatologist. I recently moved to Chicago though from Denver and I have been looking for a good dermatologist. With the pandemic it is hard to do since everything that is non urgent procedures are postponed. I have been referred to a dermatologist but I never clicked with the guy. I have asked around in local support groups and a lot of people suggested I check one dermatology clinic here: https://www.vitalskinderm.com/. I was kind of intrigued and decided to schedule a visit. I am scheduled for a visit in 3 days. Wish me luck
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021