An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Megalinoxo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Megalinoxo

Megalinoxo Member

I've had may friends refuse to believe that marijuana is something that can be addictive. This is so unbelievably untrue though and I am having trouble getting through to many of them.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you confront your friends about smoking?
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I've also had the same problem before with my co-worker. I think it's just that they know that marijuana is addictive but they believe that they can handle it. I approached my co-worker about it in a friendly manner and told him that I'm just concerned.
  3. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I agree that marijuana is addicting. I mean, it's not a physical addiction like heavier drugs, but it's certainly something that leads you to consume more and more everyday, so I'd beware of it, it's a drug as well.
  4. vdenayb23

vdenayb23 Member

They have to be open minded to hearing wht you have to say. You really cant help anyone who does not wanna help them self's I know this because I was addicted for a long time and for a while I didn't care to hear what anyone had to say because I thought I had it under control. But I was wrong. But when I sat down and finally listened I am happy to say that I am in the process of kicking my habit 8 days clean ! good luck don't give up on them.
    420nosmoke likes this.
  5. Peninha

Exactly like you say vdenay, if someone doesn't want to quit don't lose your time trying to convince that person. No one convinces anyone, we just convince ourselves. ;)
  6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Continuous use of marijuana is highly addictive. People become exposed to this drug more or less in two way, one way is that they willfully choose to try marijuana, by experience, when people become introduced to marijuana by this way, they are less likely to quit, lets say you smoke marijuana spliffs or use other methods several times daily...because you think it's fun, how likely are you to quit cold turkey one day? ...that's right, not very likely, and that's because humans break away from habits very very very slowly. But let's say that you were introduced to marijuana by some friends, and you just tried because you wanted to "fit" in, it becomes far more easier for anyone who has experienced marijuana by that way to quit, simply because you did not form that habit by yourself. It's not intrinsic for you, I can say, one good way in first moving away from cannabis, is to change your life. Get new friends, start a workout routine, do things differently.
  7. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that we are going to start seeing some changes in the way that people precieve marijuana use. Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome is being seen more frequently in hospitals and ER's, and I think that it's only a matter of time before new studies come out with new information regarding marijuana use. With the changes in potency and strains over the last few years the old data is just not as relevant to today's usage. At least, that's my opinion.
  8. Peninha

So many people talk about legalization and medicinal use, but at the same time I feel that many of them don't realize that is something highly addicting, so I hope that they proceed with care with making it legal...
  9. Nick W.

Peninha,
    It seems like so many people just don't care about the addictive properties of things. I hate hearing the argument, "well, it's better than..." Why should that matter at all? Because it's better than something else does not make it particularly healthy right? I too hope that people proceed with caution, but anyone that's ever been inside a dispensary knows how much of a joke the "medicinal" scene really is. They provide their own doctors who will prescribe anything to anyone for the right price. It's sad really.
  10. Peninha

So so true, we are comparing something bad with something worse, so is there any point in that? We should strive for a healthier society and not for something that we can tolerate.
  11. Nick W.

Absolutely! The lesser of two "evils" is still "evil". You know what I mean? I think that these kinds of addictions don't get enough press either. It's like they don't really care, and calling it a "study drug" is not helping the cause at all. Nobody is going to take it serious that way.
  12. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Whats crazy is this was the drug that really did create a doorway for me to start and try other drugs. When I first started using marijuana I felt like it was ok it doesn't kill or harm your body I was wrong. I now see plenty of my friends who go into to serious stages of depression when they don't have any. Most of my friends can't handle stress at all any more and it's awful. I am starting to see when issues arrive in their lives they shut people out and shut down socially until they get their next high. Studies don't show that its destroying how users handle life's problems it needs to be put out there that people who use marijuana on a regular basis are more depressed when they can't smoke the drug.
  13. sammwich

sammwich Member

marajuana can defently become an addiction.
    my father has been addicted to marajuana my whole life.
    this then lead me to think in my younger days that it was completely ok to do pot myself. My dad has tried in the passed to quit but finds it virtually impossible, with myself only smoking it for around 5 years it took me around a year and a half to slowly reduce my intake and finally quit.
    If it wasnt an addiction then why did i suffer withdrawls and if it isnt an addiction why has my father not stopped?
    I must say that everyone takes to it differently, i have knowen people who can smoke it on and off and not feel the need to smoke it on a daily basis.
    but i suppose this is the same has anything that can become an addiction.
    i believe that it takes a very strong willed person not to become addticted or get pressured into taking any kind of drug, and an even stronger will to not move onto something stronger than pot.

long story short. ANYTHING can be an addiction.
  14. SaraL

SaraL Member

When my mother was pregnant with me she used to smoke and take acid (hippie generation)..she blew it in my face as a child to help me sleep. It is literally something that has been a part of my life..my entire life. I am addicted to weed, but the messed up thing about it is that I'm more productive when I'm high than when I don't have any. On those days I don't really feel like doing anything, shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't I be unmotivated to function when I smoke? I feel like I work best when I smoke...
  15. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I think that is understandable since your mom used drugs around you when you were a kids. I would just be a parent and not use the drugs.
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Whilst not strictly physically addictive, Marijuana can indeed result in psychological dependence due to the fact that it is a muscle relaxant and that it affects the cannibinoid receptors in the brain - it is a psychoactive substance and therefore alters your mental state which you basically become accustomed too. When you don't consume Marijuana after smoking it for months/years you then psychologically crave to be in that altered state once again and cannot get there without using Marijuana, hence the psychological dependence. However, the withdrawal symptoms are not really that severe, it just makes you very moody and cranky.
  17. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Are you trying to explain your own addiction to friends or trying to help them realize they have a problem, Megalinoxo?
  18. kklovekm

kklovekm Member

Some people who are addicted to drugs like weed cant even function in a normal society. Ive been smoking since I was in college and it has helped me relax and not let lifes disappointments get me angry or upset. I know so many people that take anti anxiety/depression pills its disgusting and I dont know how they will ever be able to deal with their own lives if one day they stop taking the pills. Half of our society has an addiction to something either it be food, another person, prescription drugs, activity, or any other drug; everybody has a vice they use to help them cope or enjoy life.
    SaraL likes this.
  19. kklovekm

kklovekm Member

I'd rather smoke weed than take pills but thats just my personal opinion. I dont let smoking take over my life though, I still have a job and responsibilities I have to take care of. Ive never sold my posessions or my body to smoke so its never going to be that crucial to me to get a high. I'm okay with that because I am in control of when I smoke and its not ruining my life in the process. I have never done any other drug either and I dont ever have the desire to. I dont ever need to get so high as to where I want to jump off a building or a bridge because I feel like it. Thats ridiculous to me but I know there are a lot of people in our society with addictive personalities that dont mind putting their own life in danger for drugs.
    SaraL likes this.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've had this conversation with my friends before and I've come to realize that the disagreement might just be with the definition of addictive. I think they are saying it's not addictive like heroin and alcohol is addictive, but it's addictive in a way that anything else can be addictive like food or TV, and like those things they can still end up ruining your productivity or well being.