New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to music

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Nergaahl, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It may sound funny, but I just can't live without my music! I always buy huge hard drives so both my music and games could fit. I listen to music almost every minute and sometimes my head hurts from this, but I love music so much that I just can't stop! For me the world without music is just... A noisy silence.

Do you think I have a problem or it's normal to listen to a lot of music if you like it?
  2. daregicide

daregicide Member

I know a lot of people that are also addicted to music. I have no idea how people are capable of listening to music for so long without going insane. It seems to be very common that a lot of people listen to music all the time. Maybe I'm the one that isn't normal haha.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, you don't have a problem. There are plenty of people who listen to music all day, everyday, myself included. Some people do nothing but watch television all the time. It's all the same thing, so don't start thinking htat you have an addiction.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is just okay to listen to music even lots of it. But if it is hurting you already or getting in the way in performing normal tasks or hinder you to work right, I think you should make changes. Like manage well the time when to listen to music and when you should not. Or not too loud that it could destroy or damage your eardrums.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Music is such a powerful "drug". It makes you feel up or down. It moves you or helps you to rest. It wakes you up, puts you to sleep, reminds you of yesterday or of some incident or stage you went through ten years ago. It's unthinkable for me to imagine life without music. Although, I don't listen to it until my head hurts. ;)
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Oh, I definitely have an addiction to music - an addiction to rock music, to be specific. If I don't listen to some rock music every day things are just not the same. My father always said that he was high on life - I've always said that music is my drug. Nothing can get me higher than music does.
  7. Nergaahl

Ha ha, I liked that! Music is also my best medicine and keeps me sane and healthy (I guess). And my music taste is what I like the most about myself. It's just so beautiful.
  8. Sparkster

It's actually been scientifically proven that music, regardless of what genre it is or whether you're listening to it or playing it yourself, is incredibly good for the health of the brain. There are also major beneficial differences in the brains of musicians than there are in non-musicians.
  9. Nergaahl

Hmm, interesting. Also, there was a study on how water particles are influenced by music. A water glass which was left in a room with classical music had a different structure than one left in a room with heavy metal music.

Call me a judging a**hole, but I also think music influences the intellect of people.
  10. Sparkster

I've also seen very similar experiments. I think I heard about the one you are referring to. I have also seen experiments carried out to show how consciousness has an influence on water. Music can significantly help improve memory and cognitive functioning, hand-to-eye co-ordination and so much more, so yes, you could say that music positively influences the intellect of people.
  11. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Lol, I tend to have the same problem and wouldn't imagine my life without any music.
    Currently I'm really into music (Skrillex) and I just go all day with my headphones on and listen all day.
    It's driving my mother instance, might have a problem with addiction to music too. Haha ..
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Addiction to music is one of those addictions that don't really count as addictions because rather than ruining your life, they actually make you feel and do better. We can segregate bad addiction from good addiction. Lucky you your type of addiction can be classified as good. I for one am an audiophiliac.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I guess it is a kind of comfort addiction. It is probably easier to kick as well.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

You have a problem only if you can not earn from the music. If a have a business then you are the manager, then that might be okay. If you are dependent on someone, then that is wrong. You can make money by singing, make a deal with a local recording house and you can see your music selling. Alternatively you can sell other people's music since by doing that you will have to listen to a lot of songs. Do not just listen, but listen while doing something.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think it's a bad addiction, rather it's a good and comforting one. I'm also obsessed with music and couldn't live a day without listening to some of my favorite songs. I consider it as my escape to reality, my coping mechanism to the everyday stresses of life.
  16. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

There is nothing wrong with this, I do it as well. I couldn't live without music, I listen to it all day! Depending on my mood or what I am doing I'll change the songs up but they are always playing in the background regardless of what I am doing.
  17. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Nothing is really wrong about being addicted to music. It is music that calms us down when we are getting stressed or annoyed. Don't want to talk to anyone? Just strap on a pair of headphones and let the music talk to you. I enjoy listening as well so your not the only one.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I love music. I do think it is a good addiction. What you listen to and the time of day for me is actually something I have to pay attention to.
    I like harmony. Upbeat music that is fast or gets me going is not something I can listen to at night. I get wound up and want to stay awake.
    Health wise I think it is a very good addiction. It makes you happy.
  19. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Since your head hurts from so much music sometimes, you may be addicted to it. But on the other hand, it is music so there will be no other effect apart from your headache. Maybe just try even 5 minutes of silence a day to help in relieving your headache. Sometimes anything in excess can be bad.
  20. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

My life would certainly be a lot emptier without music. Sometimes it’ll be one of the few things that can pull me out of a funk. Really the only time I’d see anything wrong with listening to a lot of music is if it’s encouraging me to wallow. I try not to let that happen, though.