An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to nose drops?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by GenevB, Sep 28, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I remember that 6 months ago or so I had a flu, a flu that would not let me breath normally until I used some nose drops, the problem was that I used them so often in just a few days that I couldn't breath anymore without them, at least not while I was sleeping. I couldn't breath without pouring them into my nose, they also created a semi-state of high. I know that on the medicament instructions there are warns to not use them more than 3 days in a row because it gives addiction. Did anyone here experience the same thing?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Something similar happened to me, but it was saline solution nasal irrigation. Allergies were stuffing up my nose, it went on for about a month until my sinuses were so dry they hurt. It took a few months for them to get back to normal. Now, I seldom do it.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Now that you mentioned it, I have just "recovered" from a cold. My nose was both stuffy and runny, a horrible combination. I did not need more than five puffs per day to breathe normally, though. Even when I was young, there were no signs of me being addicted to it, even though on every instruction paper (and sometimes on the package) it was written not to puff more than three times per use. Maybe I am... immune to it?
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I read that this is more of a rebound effect of nasal spray or drops usage. Over time we get to become immune to the effect of the nasal spray or drop, or somehow less responsive to it. Hence, we tend to use it more to control our nasal congestion. The best remedy for this is to use the drops or spray a few times a day, not exceeding five days in a row. I don't really know if these nasal sprays or drops have the ability to make someone addicted to it. Though again, anyone can become addicted to anything.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think your body becomes quite dependent on nose drops if you use them a lot, so that's normal. As for the addiction part, I never heard of people getting addicted to them but I didn't look into it that much either. If they give you a state of high then by all means, proceed with caution.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that anything that gives you relief is bound to make you addicted to it, especially if it also makes you feel high too. If I were you I would cut down on using those nose drops because anything excessive is bound to be harmful.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I never knew you could get addicted to nose drops. I knew flu medicine was addictive tho, these nose drops probably get you higher because of the way it's taken. If the instructions tell you it's addictive then you have to be very careful with this stuff. The main thing to worry about is the side effects. What's the name of these nose drops?
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My ex was addicted to nose drops. He started using them because he had allergies and before we knew it he couldn't go without them. He was constantly using them because he felt he needed them just to breath. He did eventually get weaned off them but it took awhile before his breathing got back to normal.
  9. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I was using something named Olynth in my country, I can't really remember the active substance in it, but I know it's pretty much the same in all nose drops.
  10. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I didn't know about this. Very interesting and good to know. Thanks for sharing.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not experienced being addicted to nose drops. I also seldom use this even when having flu as I normally just take rest and flu capsules medication.