An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to sex or to drugs: Which would you prefer?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by deewanna, Apr 17, 2015.

1. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Any act that a person is involved in that causes pleasure is more likely to be repeated continuously than acts that causes pain. Sex and drugs are two of a kind. They both send pleasure to the brain. While sex is not a bad thing, especially in the right situation, drugs are generally not good for the health. But what happen when sex becomes addictive. It becomes very similar to substance abuse. While some people might argue that the dangers of sexual abuse can't be compared to substance abuse, some stand to disagree.

If asked to pick one of the two, which would you consider to be the lesser of the two evils?
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I remember one of the lead actors from the once famous TV series X-Files. He courageously admitted his addiction to sex before. I haven't done any follow-up on his story but I think he has already sought help from a psychiatrist. It might sound funny at first but being a sex addict is no laughing matter. Yes sex is pleasurable but as they say, everything that becomes excessive is bad. I'm going to choose neither of the two choices mentioned here.
    trtls likes this.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I think sex addiction is the lesser of two evils. At least it doesn't leave you dry and lifeless after overcoming the addiction. I think this one is worse for your partner than for you, and it can severely damage your relationship. But this one can be overcame by therapy. Drug addiction is harder to get rid of.
  4. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Seriously, I would. not want either. I do not agree that a sexual addiction is easier to overcome. People who suffer from this really battle with it. The sexual drive is very powerful and second to the drive to eat. I think you are wasting yourself and giving a part of you away every time you have sex with someone. What people do not understand is that sex is not just physical, but also very spiritual. You need to be careful who you are joining with. You also need to be concerned about disease which is a matter of life and death. This addiction will leave you empty and lost.
  5. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I don't think sexual addiction is as serious as everyone thinks. I'm intrigued to know whether this type of addiction manifests any side effects. I mean how hard can it be to NOT have sex? Some people don't do it for decades and they're perfectly fine. Plus, you could always masturbate if you are that desperate to release the sexual tension building up inside. It just doesn't compare to drug abuse. If I had to, I'd pick sexual addiction, any day.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's impossible to say rarely. They are two very different addictions, each with devastating consequences of their own. Sex addiction can cause relationship break-ups, STD's, unwanted pregnancies (and I include male addicts who have got someone pregnant here as well as female addicts) and damaged self-esteem. The main risks of drug addiction seem to be poor health, incarceration and even death. I don't know which one I think would be worse.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that being a sex addict isn't really a problem if you have a partner who enjoys the same pleasures as you do. I am open minded on this issue. People often engage in excessive sex to relieve tension, so having sex during a crisis seems less harmful to me instead of reaching for a drug, as long as nobody gets hurt emotionally or physically.
    There are plenty of people who simply enjoy sex for sex's sake. And if it's practiced in a safe and congenial manner, I can't see many problems.
  8. Merricat

Merricat Member

Sex addiction can also lead people to put themselves into risky situations where they can be assaulted or killed, particularly female addicts. For many sex addicts they're also unable to form healthy relationships and have a sex life with their partner. The 2011 film Shame with Michael Fassbender is an amazing portrayal of a man with a sex addiction and how awful it is.
  9. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

It's kind of hard when we're judging between evils, isn't it? Always seems questionable. If I had to pick, I'd say sex addiction is probably the lesser of the two overall....but then again, sometimes sex addiction leads to cheating, breaking up families, immoral activity, etc. and could pretty easily ruin a life or at the very least a reputation in some situations- so it's no picnic either.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's a tough one but I would have to pick sex addiction as the lesser evil, though I'm thinking about addicted to sex with only one partner. It's possible, right?
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that there is no less evil in addiction. Addiction in any sort is evil. In sex addiction, some might even be rapist or spreading a disease to their partners. It is because I do not think that being a sex addict, you will be contented with just your wife or husband. Drugs addiction can also make a person rape, kill or destroy a life.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think both have their troubles...and both can impact others! If you're addicted to drugs, despite doing that to yourself it has more wide reaching effects on your family, friends and so forth. If you're addicted to sex it may seem harmless but often it leads to cheating on spouses from what I've heard, and then you're getting someone else wrapped up in the problems of your addiction too. I guess the only way I would see sex addition as the lesser of the two is if both parties were addicted - then you're both on the same wavelength I suppose.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I would choose sex, as it gives pleasure and get's two people closer and they are showing it by making love but addiction can cause a person to want it too much and think about all the time and the person can be affected. Drugs can casue changes in health, stress and also mood swings that cause a person to make bad choices or just blame drugs for things they do. Sleeping with anyone to satisfy the desire, than you could pass diseases and also just use the person to get the release and view them as a object and not a person who you understand so need to be aware and not get addicted to it.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think either would be just as difficult to deal with because often in abusive behavior the addiction is the main problem and not really the particular choice of obsession. If I had to choose though I'd probably just choose to be addicted to sex since it would at least not affect my health as much as hardcore substances.
  15. Faithfulmarie

Faithfulmarie Member

Anything that has the power over you, to the point where it becomes an addiction, must be painful. I don't believe that there could be a choice between the two, in terms of one being better than the other, both are addictions with consequences. As an earlier poster said, there could be consequences to health and relationships, with both addictions. What those two addictions have in common is that they affect others, but even addiction to food, which is basically self inflicting does have negative consequences.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I agree with pretty much everything you have said. Both have the potential to be damaging to your health and relationships. I honestly would not want to have to choose between the two and if I am going to answer the question I would prefer neither.

Still if there is a drug out there that does not interfere with my mental faculties I a negative way, I would prefer that drug over a sex addiction.
  17. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

That is quite the question. Both addictions can be seriously damaging, but the thing about a sex addiction is the dangers aren’t quite as readily apparent as they may be with drug addictions. And the consequences can be quite different as well. I really couldn’t choose between the two. The costs are too high with both.
  18. Grimp

Grimp Member

Hmm, thats a really tricky question, because it really depends on the kind of drug you're addicted to. There are some drugs that I would definately prefer a sex addiction to. So I will make a list:

Alcohol < sex addiction
    Heroin < sex addiction
    Crack < sex addiction
    Meth < sex addiction
    Cocaine < sex addiction

In fact the only drug addiction that might not be as bad as sex addiction would probably me marijuana in my opinion.

But yeah, also with sex addiction, it might be worse than a marijuana adiction if you are going around having sex with random people all the time, hell this might worse than other drug adictions if you end up with an STD or babies. If you're addicted to sex with your spouse / partner... well, that might not be so bad at all really. But yeah, it all depends on the circumstances!
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I wouldn't really like to pick an addiction if I'm honest. While I've been addicted to alcohol, I've never been addicted to sex so it's hard to compare.

Any addiction isn't easy to overcome, the fact it's labelled as an addiction tells people that.

I think both can be dangerous, in entirely different ways maybe, but the principal will be the same.