An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to shopping

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Carmilla, Apr 26, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Actually, I had an aunt that used to obsessively shop like that, and she ended up later being diagnosed as bipolar -- the excessive shopping usually happened when she was in a manic phase and wasn't thinking about the actuality of her financial situation and so forth.

So I definitely think it can seem like an addiction but really I would say for most people it's just the open, obvious symptom of an underlying issue.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I think when you can't get enough of shopping, you most likely have a behavioral problem - not necessarily an addiction. Someone should help people stuck in a situation. If you happen to know one, you should subtly but effectively help the person manage his/her expenses (even if money isn't supposed to be a problem). The behavior may leave lasting effects.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think someone can be addicted to shopping. Some people buy things beyond what they need or can afford. They just have to buy it to have it. And I think that signifies an addiction problem.

It is such a revolving world, anything can be addictive. People have to be careful with sales tactics. We end up buying a lot during clearance sales times even if we do not need it, lol.
    harold likes this.
  4. harold

harold Community Champion

The problem sometimes is the fact that people want to look strong and sophisticated in front of their friends. They end up engaging in unreasonable shopping sprees. A lot of people are in huge debts today, but they are always seen shopping--trying to get the latest fashion products in the market. It's a rather unfortunate situation.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  5. harold

harold Community Champion

I agree with you, I personally know a lot of men who can't just ignore the latest good in fashion. A lot of people believe that only women can be shopaholics which is which is wrong. Men too are strongly into it. It is a general phenomenon.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Do you think bloggers also have something to do with this? They always seem to have the latest clothes and shoes. Sometimes, when I visit a blog I end up wanting what they have even if I really do not need it.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@harold..You are absolutely right like what I said that some men are shopaholics too. And like you I knew some of them in the presence of my male friends. In fact they always shop better than me and they always want to be in with the flow of the latest fashion as always... :)
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This seems to be a common problem in modern society. Incomes have increased, at least for those that have decent jobs and successful businesses. These folks have become upwardly mobile and want to express their status through the products they own. They also try to fill a void in their lives by purchasing goods that they don't really need. Over time, this eventually turns into an addiction that is difficult to break free from.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

This is definitely a real addiction. All addictions are just people trying to fill voids in their life and it doesn't do the trick at all. It's just a temporary happiness that soon fades. I've seen TV shows where people are shopaholics. They're in horrible debt yet continue to shop.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Hoaxers are the people who you can think of who have the worst shopping addictions and it mostly stems from them losing something in their lives. They feel that they can have control over material things and this brings them comfort. Many hoarders have a hard time letting go of possessions.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes, it is possible to be addicted to shopping, just as it is possible to be addicted to anything. There were many cases in which people, usually women were spending their money on trivial things, such as rings or necklaces. While I understand that some people feel that they need to get new clothes and look good, buying unnecessary stuff is not good at all. And they think it is normal to do it!
  12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

It is extremely possible for someone to be addicted to shopping. If I had the money, I would probably be a shopping addict. I don't know what it is about shopping that is so fun, but I tend to spend all of my money in one place when I get a pay check. I can almost compare it to gambling. It's just fun to me and I like the feeling of getting something out of it.
  13. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Shopping addiction is a real thing and another of those weird ones. I have several friends, and somehow, it is always ladies who have this addiction. It is something very serious , not dangerous, if it's not the infamous black Friday, but still not very pleasant to ones wallet. Not only the addicts are usually women but also they are rich women. So that made me ask myself if the addiction just an excuse to go and buy things you want. I know it is not a nice thought but i am not generalizing it is an idea. Maybe there are those who will find a way to shop free of stress in that manner.
  14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think you can get addicted to shopping. Who doesn't like the feeling when they get something new? Then there are people who go overboard with the shopping and won't let go of the stuff they already have. They are called hoarders or pack rats. Since I don't make a ton of money I don't worry about having a shopping addiction.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

It is definitely possible to be addicted to shopping. Some shoppers get a thrill out of getting a good deal while shopping, for them it is their 'high.' There have been cases of hoarders who shop just to shop, who end up buried in their house with tons of items which they purchased and never used, sometimes still in the bag from the store from which they put them in. It almost seems like they are attempting to fill a void in their personal life with the meaningless stuff that they buy. However, items cannot buy happiness, so they keep buying and buying useless stuff to fill the hole of a larger problem, their life.
  16. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I don't understand why shopping is addicting, but I can definitely vouch for it giving me a huge rush. I love shopping. I wouldn't say that I'm addicted, but I sure as hell think it's possible for it to be addicting. People throw away their money through gambling, I kind of see it in a similar light to shopping.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

There is a term called "retail therapy", so you know that shopping is considered as an "addiction" and can make a person feel "high". I think it's possible for a person to get addicted to shopping, but it's not as dangerous and harmful if a person would be addicted to drugs, for example.
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

People can be addicted to anything. I think you just have to practice self control. If you have the money to buy things you'll probably buy your favorite things until you can't stop, unless you have limitations. I think limitations will help people avoid addictions like this.
  19. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Same old problem with many different faces. It's all chemicals in the brain and you feeling good whenever you "get" something. Whether it's an accomplishment, a new item you buy, a notification on your social media feed, it can all create craving for more, and it's a serious problem because the modern world is over-saturated with stimulation.
  20. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, and many people are. It is out of control behavior that can lead to serious financial problems and also hoarding behavior. There is nothing good about being a shopaholic. I mean some books have been written about it that are comedic in nature, and the heroine always seems to prevail...but we all know...real life is hardly as kind as what is in novels and the movies.