An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Sleep?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by endoftherainbow, Jan 20, 2016.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Oversleeping can't be really possible, because once you oversleep, you will start to feel headaches, even while sleeping, so you will be forced to wake up because of that. Maybe it is possible with the help of sleeping pills, but that may lead to disastrous results if you overdose.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I'd have to say that I cannot oversleep. Like, if I slept in the afternoon, I would have trouble sleeping at night again. My husband though could sleep all day and all night. I guess it's because he goes for a day or two without sleep and then binge sleeps after, if you can call it that.

Personally, I don't know of any person who sleeps more than the necessary. If any, people I know sleep less than the required hours of sleep per night. So if this is a thread about sleep deprivation addiction, then I'd be more of an expert, especially since I'm used to that as well.

@serenity mentioned that with the help of sleeping pills, oversleeping might be possible. And I'd have to agree, that might be one reason people will seem addicted to sleep. But it can really be dangerous and can end up doing more harm than one thinks.
  3. serenity

@Coolkidhere, I personally will not advise anyone to take sleeping pills for more than 4 weeks, since I was put on those pills forcibly by my relatives, and the side effects were disastrous. I developed a phobia and I was always anxious, plus I became sensitive to sound. Once I stopped taking those pills my phobia and other nasty side effects faded away. So I really would advise against taking it, they have disastrous side effects.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@serenity That's a very sound advice. I've read before that even after taking them longer than 10 days, you're bound to get some side effects. They really aren't meant to be taken for a long time. Plus, the longer you take sleeping pills, the higher tolerance you have for them. You just actually use them to establish a normal sleeping pattern. And once you've done that, you can be off the sleeping pills.

The side effects you've experienced might just be because of the long time you have been taking those pills. I'm just glad you were able to stop it and did not get dependent on it.
    serenity likes this.
  5. serenity

@Coolkidhere, True, I took them for 2 months, so the side effects manifested, and I really had to assert myself and be rude to make them stop giving it to me, because after around 3 attempts to make them stop giving it to me, they still won't listen despite my complaints of having side effects, so I had to be rude!

See, some even only recommend up to 10 days! They over-medicated me. I never really needed it in the first place, they just thought I do upon the prescription of a psychiatrist. Still, I am traumatized already. No more pills that give you side effects!
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I know many people who are addicted to sleep. If I don't wake up, my wife will be sleeping for more than 10 hours. My brother is also have sleep addiction.I can sleep for more than 12 hours.
  7. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

Addiction to sleep. I don't think it is really an "addiction" because ones body does not allow them to sleep to the point of being unhealthy, however, taking naps could be really unhealthy. I am actually a person who needs so much sleep in order to function well, I mean, I sometimes need about 11 to 12 hours of sleep, some people may call it an addiction but it actually isn't. If you're sleeping daily more than 12 hours, then it might be a problem, seek a doctor.
  8. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

I slеер а lot. I wаkе uр аround noon on wееkеnds, nар two or thrее timеs during thе dаy, thеn go to slеер аround 11 РM or 12 АM. On wееkdаys I usuаlly go to slеер аround 9 РM, еvеn though I gеt homе аt 7:30 РM, аnd wаkе uр аt 8 АM, hаlf аn hour bеforе I nееd to lеаvе for work. I аm сonsistеntly lаtе for work by 15 to 20 minutеs.
  9. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I had a friend in high school who would sleep everywhere; on assembly ground, while standing and we were all talking, writing in class; it was so bad I began to worry about it but she was extremely brilliant that we who were always wide awake were not as good as she was.

I think it is a medical condition that deals with the brain. My husband had a friend who would park his car by the side of the road and sleep, this became a constant habit that he did four to five times a day. He was flown abroad for treatment and it was a defect in the brain.

If your @endoftherainbow condition is bad, I suggest you go for scans and tests to get solutions before it worsens.
  10. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I am glad that your friend got help for her condition. Sleep Apnea is a serious condition and it definitely is possible that it was causing your friend to want to sleep all the time. I have known people with it and my doctor thinks that could be part of my fatigue during the day as well. I do not think that people who want to sleep all the time are lazy but I think that most time they are using it as an escape from whatever is causing them stress or anxiety. I would rather sleep than have to deal with some day to day issues.
  11. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I feel like my mom is addicted to sleep. She goes to bed at 4 am which is a very weird time to go to bed I know, but then she sleeps around 12 hours a day and wakes up at 3 pm. I don't know anyone with a sleeping schedule like that and she does not work as well!
  12. monty

monty Active Contributor

Yes! I agree with the topic that sleeping is as important as food.Both are needed for our survival and we have to balance both because if anyone is imbalanced then we are not fit for the day to do any work and feel tired all the day.I am not saying that sleeping is bad but it should be for limited time and that is for us is about 8 hrs a day.But some people used to come home late or do overnight work and sleep very late at night and wake up very late in the morning.It's very bad habit because oversleeping is very dangerous as our mind thinks that we have captured everything in our life and thinks that we are King and we don't have to make an extra effort and with this our Motivation levels also goes down and our wish to gain more dies.And it is proved medically so, on that basis it is not good to sleep more than required time.
  13. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

People tend to make mistakes about this. Scientists say that you need from 6 to 8 hours of sleep but we really need as much as we do. Meaning that if you feel like sleeping 15 hours that means your body needs it. It may happen sometimes after some great stress or a long trip. In any case listen to your body and rest as much as you can and need.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Sleep is very important for our physical and mental health. If we are getting quality sleep at the right time everyday then it will improve the quality of our life. If we are always having a good night sleep it will improves the way how we think, work and how we deal and get along well with other people. But we should make it a habit to sleep at the right time and the right number of hours so that we will not be having excessive sleep and sleep deficiency.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  15. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

I love sleep. I enjoy dreaming, for one thing, and I also love feeling relaxed. But even though I enjoy it, I still get up out of bed and go through my day. The only time I remain in bed for most of the day is when I'm sick and just can't bring myself to do much. I get bored if I try to stay in bed longer than I need to, and things that need to be done start nagging at my brain. They always win out in the end.
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think too much sleep doesn't have anything to do with being lazy. I think it is a symptom of depression. My son, does some recreational things, but basically he seems to eat, sleep and work. Most of the time when I call him or talk to him on the phone he is sleepy or yawning. I know he stays up late sometimes but his need for excess sleep seems more tied to his emotional state. It concerns me..but he seems to be functioning pretty well overall, and he is old enough to make his own choices.
  17. doxie

doxie Member

I know that when I sleep too long, I feel really miserable for the rest of the day. Not sure why that is. I would rather sleep too little than too much.
  18. Dilof

Dilof Member

Saying that oversleeping isn't considered an addiction simply because you need to sleep to survive is just strange. You need food to survive and yet there's people who are addicted to food. It's entirely plausible that some people may be addicted to sleeping, perhaps due to the dreams they encounter or how they feel when they wake up rejuvinated.

We generally feel good after a good nights sleep, but sleeping too much can also lead to depression, so I'm not entirely sure on this one yet.
  19. madetofly

madetofly Member

I don't think that sleeping can be an addiction because sleeping is necessary for every living being on this earth it's kind of basic need to us. If we will not take sufficient sleep then it will be lead to tiredness and dullness and it will be difficult for us to do anything with perfection. Well! I sleep more than required 8 hrs and I don't feel that this is an addiction.
    But I'd like to know from what other says.
  20. GD0724

GD0724 Member

I do feel sadness and depression causes one to sleep more than normal on most occasions. But the good news is that you can overcome both sadness and depression if you are willing to. Try finding things that you can't wait to wake up and do daily along with practicing positive thinking. I am sure these things will help because I was once in the same place and I overcame both using these methods. It does get better!